NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from the Netherlands

Ed astro

Hi all,

I made my SGL account back in March but I have not really posted anything here until now. Today I finally decided to say hello.

I do some visual observing and astrophotography from my light polluted backyard, but my main interest is in radio astronomy. After all, radio telescopes are not affected by clouds and light pollution! (There is of course radio interference- but that's another story...)

• Like 6

Welcome aboard SGL Ed. Good to have you with us.

You might recognise my avatar as the radio telescope at Jodrell Bank, taken a couple of years ago on a visit there. Amazing place.

Is that your scope in your avatar? Looks very nice. I must admit, I hadn't realised amateur astronomy was a thing. Wow...

Edited by Starwatcher2001
Spellink

Hi all,

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome!

3 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Welcome aboard SGL Ed. Good to have you with us.

You might recognise my avatar as the radio telescope at Jodrell Bank, taken a couple of years ago on a visit there. Amazing place.

Is that your scope in your avatar? Looks very nice. I must admit, I hadn't realised amateur astronomy was a thing. Wow...

That dish in my avatar is indeed my radio telescope. it is a 3 metre dish which was built in december 2017 for a high school project by me and two of my friends. My father, who is a radio amateur, helped us a lot with all the electronics.

I definitely would like to visit Jodrell Bank at some point. I is a very historic site for radio astronomy.

• Like 2