NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Announcement on Monday?

jnb

I suspect we all know that there is some announcement on Monday about something. Hence the reason Sky At Night has been pushed back by a day and why Chris Lintott turned his camera off when the Q&A panel he was on at the weekend was asked about it but what I can't find is who it is who is announcing the "something".

Anybody know?

Edited by jnb
fixed punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm normally good at finding things on the web. But strangely no mention of any forth coming astronomy announcement. So it appears that no clues are  being given away.

Wonder what it could be?

4 hours ago, jnb said:

I suspect we all know that there is some announcement on Monday about something. Hence the reason Sky At Night has been pushed back by a day and why Chris Lintott turned his camera off when the Q&A panel he was on at the weekend was asked about it but what I can't find is who it is who is announcing the "something".

Anybody know?

Somebody knows about the something, but there is a reporting embargo so only those somebodies in the know, know about the something.

Don't get too excited, it may be some esoteric astrophysical something which only scientists find incredibly exciting, or aliens...

On 12/09/2020 at 10:09, Charles Kirk said:

My guess.

The Event Horizon Team will on Monday announce that they have captured the first image of the super massive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way.

Now that would be of great interest.  I hope that indeed is the case.

8 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

My guess... evidence for life in the Venusian atmosphere. 

Looks like it. It was leaked already: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dUWrpm80WHsJ:https://earthsky.org/%3Fp%3D343883+ 

The above is cached page from Google. They took the original down: https://earthsky.org/space/life-on-venus-phosphine-biosignatures

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, feverdreamer1 said:

I believe they have found phosphine in the venusian clouds. And phosphine can only be created by scientists or by living micro-organisms that live in oxygen-free environment.

Sounds quite interesting

Phosphine is an automatic byproduct of phosphorous acid decomposing. My first thought is that finding phosphoric acid on Venus really wouldn't be surprising, hence finding phosphine wouldn't really be a surprise. That said my expertise is not in biology so I'm always inclined to imagine that a chemical route to producing these things is more likely.

• Like 2