SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi, From Fort William

Budgie1

Hi All,

After 5 years away from astronomy and SGL, I finally got around to getting the scopes and mounts out, cleaned and dusted off again.

I used to be "Budge" on here from 2010 to 2015 but moved from the Western Isles to Fort William in 2015 with a new job and never found the time to get back into astrophotography. Like a lot of others, I found a I had in bit more time on my hands over the last few months so started back into the hobby.

I tried to fire up my old membership on SGL but, unfortunately, I don;t have access to the email account I signed up with so I couldn't get my password reset. So I've started afresh. :D

Fortunately, all my astro kit has survive 5 years in storage and has been given a good clean. Last night my EQ5 GoTo was pulled apart, cleaned, re-greased the motors and worm gears (I found quite a lot of slack in the Dec gears!). I've also got a dedicated laptop running Windows 10 with EQMod, CdC, APT and PHD2 installed, I'm still on the learning curve getting these running together but a few more clear nights should have that sorted.

I've had a couple of clear nights recently and got a few subs & darks completed on M31, without guiding with PHD2.

So to finish off my re-introduction to SGL here's my first light back into the hobby. (it should say EOS 2000D for the camera! :D)

Andromeda.png

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 6

Hi @Budgie1 and welcome back to SGL. :hello2:

Slightly off topic from astronomy. One of my other hobbies is model railways and I have hopefully planned a layout using the old Fort William station, using track plans from various model railway forums, etc. and re-planned using SCARM software. Only downside is living in studio apartment... '00' guage model railways don't mix that well... where as astronomy does 😁 ...until a resident decides to turn on the communal timed light switch for the interior of the building when entering/exiting. 😬

• Like 1

Hi Phillip,

Wouldn't you have been better using N-gauge? Not as dramatic, but it may fit better!! :D

I work in Corpach and the "Hogworts Express" passes the back of my office 4 times a day in the (normal) summer months. It's quite funny having to explain what the whistle is when you're on the phone or a video conference. 🤣

20160512_102729.thumb.jpg.109e5a6620cf100c3826f67edefeb2a6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks S&S,

I'm in a nice spot for dark skies but have a hill to the East and tall trees to the NE & South. So I can't see Jupiter at the moment and Orion is blocked as well.

The main thing about down here is the cloud cover, I think, on average, you stand a better chance of a clear night in the NE than us West Coasters. But at least I only have to go into the garden. :D 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Thanks S&S,

I'm in a nice spot for dark skies but have a hill to the East and tall trees to the NE & South. So I can't see Jupiter at the moment and Orion is blocked as well.

The main thing about down here is the cloud cover, I think, on average, you stand a better chance of a clear night in the NE than us West Coasters. But at least I only have to go into the garden. :D 

We do get some nice clear stretches for a few days at a time, but certainly envy you being able to view from home. I can see a bit from mine, but with local LP it really means a lot of driving for me to get to my preferred spot. Worth it though when everything falls into place. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Hi Phillip,

Wouldn't you have been better using N-gauge? Not as dramatic, but it may fit better!! :D

I work in Corpach and the "Hogworts Express" passes the back of my office 4 times a day in the (normal) summer months. It's quite funny having to explain what the whistle is when you're on the phone or a video conference. 🤣

20160512_102729.thumb.jpg.109e5a6620cf100c3826f67edefeb2a6.jpg

True, but I have the Hornby Railways 'Flying Scotsman' set, in LNER apple green and the two Thomson coaches, (track long gone and I now use PECO); that is now of sentimental value, as it was a xmas present from my late-mother when I was in my early teens, plus there is other rolling stock also of sentimental value from other deceased family relatives, etc. Mind you I have been contemplating selling all, except the set mentioned and starting a fresh with 'N' gauge. 'Z' gauge even smaller still... pack in a suitcase, etc', but with 'astronomical' prices and limited 'Big Four' and BR outline availability. 

Thank your for sharing your image of the ex-LMS 'Black 5' in BR livery. :icon_salut:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...