SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Patrick has just called....

to say "Thank you" for the calendar we sent down to him.

He has, unfortunately, not been too well (hence the delay in calling) but is on the mend. Of course, I passed on wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thought you'd like to know :hello2::D

Glad to hear he is on the mend.... :-) Reading this got me thinking though, I wonder how many Amature Astronomers there are as a result of the Sky at Night, his influence and enthusiasm must be responsible hundreds of Amatures. I certainly remeber as a child watching S @ N and wishing for a telescope, although I was around 36 before taking the plunge and buying one.

Gary

I'm one of many amateur astronomers in this hobby because of Patrick. I hope he gets well soon.

I have been watching the Sky at Night since I was 13 years old, that's 30 years now and its the only program broadcast by the BBC that's never been dumb down. Still pushing back the frontiers of astronomy.

Neil

patrick moore didnt get me into astronomy, he was in his peak before i was born.

Stephen hawking encouraged me to get in to astronomy.

battling for over 40 years with a degenerative brain disorder, when docs gave him 18months, and be one of the greatest minds in the country, is staggering.

but glad patrick is on the road to recovery

thats my two pennies

paul

Please send Patrick my deepest held wish for a speedy recovery and hope he feels better soon

I was fortunate to meet patrick a few years ago when he came to the wyverne theater here in swindon to give one of his lectures and i met him afterwards lovely man very genuine and friendly one of the highlights of my life

regards Pete

Please wish him a speedy recovery from me.

I finally met him last month, after over 40 years of waiting, and got a chance to thank him for being such a great inspiration, not only to me, but to thousands of others.

He's got a great, and very wicked, sense of humour too :hello2:

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many thousands of people Sir Patrick has inspired over the years? I've grown up with The Sky at Night. In the days before video recorders it was a real treat to be allowed up to watch it with my Dad.

I hope he gets well really soon

Yeah get well Sir Pat. He was/is certainly an inspiration to me and has been since the early 60's when I didn't understand a word of what was being said but I knew I would understand it one day. Guys like Sir Pat are few and far between, anybody that can enthuse a generation like he did is worth their weight in gold.

• 1 month later...

Yes, get well. I can remember as a kid ( must have been 7 or 8 ) having regular communications via phone and postcard, typed on his trusty typewriter, with Sir Patrick.

He always found the time to reply back to me, even when I corrected him about his pronounciation of "Uranus"... GULP!!!! Was I ever that foolish...????

Archived