Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have an HEQ5-Pro mount, which has had relatively few outings. I also have a problem with polar alignment. I've watched all the videos (slight exaggeration - but lots) and I totally get the idea. I have a practical  mobility problem in that I struggle to get myself into a position where I can look through the polar scope with any degree of comfort. I've bought a right angle prism device but still struggle really hard. It's a massively frustrating problem which is stopping me enjoying my hobby and, effectively, precluding me from starting imaging. Any hints, tips or pointers that can help and don't involve getting on my knees would be gratefully received.

The options are (non-exhaustive list):

- get someone to polar align it for you and mark the spot the tripod sits, then always set up there and your polar alignment, assuming you don’t fiddle with the mount, will always be ball park polar aligned. 
- get a PoleMaster (£250 or so).

- upgrade SharpCap and assuming you have a camera you can attach to the scope, use the pole alignment routine in that.

- use the handset poor alignment routine (seems complicated to start with but is actually ok, and gives good results).

- drift align (tedious and unnecessary for you by the sounds of it).

You’ve not said what scope you are using or exactly what the issues are you are having with polar alignment.

James

• Like 1

If you have mobility problems another option to consider is leaving your mount and scope setup outside. This results in no lifting in and out of the house and quick set up times. You will only need to polar align once on the first occasion and occasionally check over the following months. Synscan can save all your data from your last session so you can just start with no star alignment necessary 

The only condition is that your location is secure and you purchase a good cover, something like the Telegizmos 365. 

I had great difficulty using the polarscope on our EQ6 mount & wasted lots of potential viewing time with it. I tried fitting a webcam & then using a DLSR right angle viewer, but neither worked very well. I then got an iPolar (£199) which has been a great help... It means I can do the polar alignment at dusk & it only takes a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/4MXjN34Om_g

Cheers
Ivor

Are there any polar alignment methods using a tablet or mobile phone?  Not everyone, including myself on occasion, wants to use a computer at the scope. I don’t just mean a polar app.  I was thinking more of something like SharpCap or something that works with a mobile device. 

I had wondered whether you could use a cheap wireless camera on a tripod looking up the polar scope and view that on your mobile screen.  

Come to think about it there is an App for smart phone or tablet called PS Align Pro which supposedly allows you to align a mount. You attach the phone to the mount and align the mount to Polaris looking at the screen. I tried it a while ago but the close proximity of the metal mount upsets the compass in the phone. The app providers suggest using a holder for the phone which places it far enough from the mount not to be a problem. 

Edited by Ouroboros

6 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Come to think about it there is an App for smart phone or tablet called PS Align Pro which supposedly allows you to align a mount. You attach the phone to the mount and align the mount to Polaris looking at the screen. I tried it a while ago but the close proximity of the metal mount upsets the compass in the phone. The app providers suggest using a holder for the phone which places it far enough from the mount not to be a problem

I use this function during daytime setup. I find it really useful. It doesn’t get it bang on but pretty close so all I need to do when I get out in the dark is tweek it through the polar scope because it’s already close

I'd recommend getting the Polemaster. Once you've got it all setup and done the initial axis alignment, polar alignment can be done in a matter of minutes with no more awkward positions.

Only caveats are that it costs money and need to use a laptop, but it's worth every penny

On 30/07/2020 at 23:51, Surreygazer said:

I have an HEQ5-Pro mount, which has had relatively few outings. I also have a problem with polar alignment. I've watched all the videos (slight exaggeration - but lots) and I totally get the idea. I have a practical  mobility problem in that I struggle to get myself into a position where I can look through the polar scope with any degree of comfort. I've bought a right angle prism device but still struggle really hard. It's a massively frustrating problem which is stopping me enjoying my hobby and, effectively, precluding me from starting imaging. Any hints, tips or pointers that can help and don't involve getting on my knees would be gratefully received.

Almost anybody with a normal neck and back has the same problem at your latitude ...
Your best option is a PoleMaster or iPolar. No, they are not cheap, but neck surgery is more expensive and painful!!