Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

have a spring clean out sale Louise, but first spend sone time figuring exactly what you want then gear yourself around it, I will give you my pre-requisites that led to my choices.

• Lightweight overall
  • Able to carry good payload mount (without counterweights, refer to point one) and also lightweight itself (only 5kg)
  • Reasonable aperture (150) and suitable for suitable for spectroscopy
  • All in one system able to operate via tablet/phone
  • Simple to operate

I am no expert, anything but however my setup allows me to do what would be unthinkable a few years back, especially to a novice such as I. Given what you say, I feel points one and two above should be of particular interest to yourself. Not sure about the rest but that was important to me.

Oh and my powertank is Lithium/Ion type, much better in cold weather and no charge memory issues.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

It's difficult to sell stuff from here in Glasgow - it's not exactly a hub for amateur astronomy... It's too much hassle to try and ship stuff. Other than that, I've got everything I need apart from some means of using kit remotely. I've looked at the ASIair but that would require buying yet another guide camera as they obviously only support their own make. The SynScan WiFi dongle is a partial solution but no guiding. However, the Takumar lens at 300mm is probably fairly undemanding so I could probably get away without, but I'd just have to try and see... I can't do anything much about the LP and weather here but that's always been the case!

Cheers

Louise

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Nice to see you here again, Louise. After reading your op and some of the response, I'm still somewhat confused. You write that you're interested in the synscan wifi module to control your mount. With that a standalone autoguider. What will you use for camera control?

As an alternative to the Staraid, there are the Lacerta Mgen autoguider, the Skywatcher Synguider, and the Celestron Nexguide. (I have no personal experience with any of these, although I did look into the Lacerta many years ago.) The Lacerta is the more expensive option. Otoh it seems to have a better track record. It deserves to mention that it was the first autoguider to incorporate multi star guiding, even before PHD and Ekos.

There are other options for you. The easiest is the ASIAIR, but that is limited to certain equipment. Next are Stellarmate OS, and Astroberry. Both run off a Raspberry pi, and require a minimum of set up/tinkering.Any Raspberry Pi solution will require a 5V power source. StellarMate OS, including the app, costs about 50 $, while Astroberry is free, but lags in development. The StellarMate comes with an app that installs on an iPad or similar android device. Both can be used with a webreader such as chrome. There is also the StellarMate X, pre-installed on a fanless computer. This comes with internal power ports and dew heater outlets. Finally, you can have a small fanless pc, such as the Mele Quieter, with your setup, and run ASCOM on a windows machine.

The downside with all these solutions is that they require a stable wifi connection. Although, once you have set up your imaging sequence, they all run stand alone, if you want to. Of all the options mentioned, I only have experience with the StellarMate and Astroberry. Once set up, these systems just work, and keep on working, even if you lose the wifi connection.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wim and thanks

I haven't got all the solutions yet! But with the Synscan wifi and Canon dslr I can just use a remote shutter. I have one that does timed exposures. I'm moving away from the standalone autoguider ide - too expensive and may not work too well with the poor seeing here... The ASIair might be a solution but I'd need a ZWO guide cam so together is a little pricey. I'm too old and impatient to tinker around much with other stuff. The Stellarmate X looks a possibility - I'll have to look into it!

Cheers

Louise

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

no guiding. However, the Takumar lens at 300mm is probably fairly undemanding so I could probably get away without

For reliability you'll definitely need autoguiding, I haven't been able to image without it past say 50mm. Also depends on your per sub duration, I usually do 30-60s.

1 minute ago, Elp said:

For reliability you'll definitely need autoguiding, I haven't been able to image without it past say 50mm. Also depends on your per sub duration, I usually do 30-60s.

I'm not sure - it's so long since I did any astro - I'll have to relearn everything! In any case, I'd be able to try the setup without autoguiding to see how the wifi performs. As mentioned above, am looking into the Stellarmate X system. Not sure what limitations that has but looks similar to the ASIair. I'm trying to find out power requirements for it but they don't seem to mention it anywhere. I'll have a look on here to see if anyone has written about it.

Cheers

Louise

6 hours ago, wimvb said:

Nice to see you here again, Louise. After reading your op and some of the response, I'm still somewhat confused. You write that you're interested in the synscan wifi module to control your mount. With that a standalone autoguider. What will you use for camera control?

As an alternative to the Staraid, there are the Lacerta Mgen autoguider, the Skywatcher Synguider, and the Celestron Nexguide. (I have no personal experience with any of these, although I did look into the Lacerta many years ago.) The Lacerta is the more expensive option. Otoh it seems to have a better track record. It deserves to mention that it was the first autoguider to incorporate multi star guiding, even before PHD and Ekos.

There are other options for you. The easiest is the ASIAIR, but that is limited to certain equipment. Next are Stellarmate OS, and Astroberry. Both run off a Raspberry pi, and require a minimum of set up/tinkering.Any Raspberry Pi solution will require a 5V power source. StellarMate OS, including the app, costs about 50 $, while Astroberry is free, but lags in development. The StellarMate comes with an app that installs on an iPad or similar android device. Both can be used with a webreader such as chrome. There is also the StellarMate X, pre-installed on a fanless computer. This comes with internal power ports and dew heater outlets. Finally, you can have a small fanless pc, such as the Mele Quieter, with your setup, and run ASCOM on a windows machine.

The downside with all these solutions is that they require a stable wifi connection. Although, once you have set up your imaging sequence, they all run stand alone, if you want to. Of all the options mentioned, I only have experience with the StellarMate and Astroberry. Once set up, these systems just work, and keep on working, even if you lose the wifi connection.

Hope this helps.

Hi Again

I've been looking at the mini PC options you mention. The MEle  minis look attractive with Windows. In fact the Stellarmate X is obviously a MEle packaged with the Stellarmate OS etc. At least the MEle could be used for something else maybe. Using Windows also means being able to make use of familiar astro software. so that would be a plus. I tried out my wifi outside just with a Samsung phone, which is currently set to 2.4 GHz. It's a bit on the edge, and it cut out when I was downstairs but reconnected when I went outside. I was able to browse a bit on the net. It's from the second floor and through double glazing. It started raining so i cut my test short... I'll try again and maybe with the kitchen window ajar which might make a difference. I could also try moving the router closer to the kitchen.

I was a bit concerned as the Stellarmate X doesn't have an external antenna. The MeLE PCG35 looks better but doesn't seem to available in the UK (at the moment, at least), tut! Oh well, I'll have to think about it will revisit after Easter!

Cheers

Louise

The benefit of Stellarmate is you'll have a dedicated mobile app to use, doing the same with a windows based computer will be more cumbersome.

Regarding your WiFi test, how did you do it, mobile phone moving away from your router? You can connect in two ways, either direct to the mount computer controller (CC) from your controlling device (CD) or connect the CC to your home router WiFi and also your CD to your home WiFi (must be on the same network SSID), that way you'll get slightly more reach as router antennas tend to be better than CCs though I think with windows based CCs you have better propagating antennas depending on the internal hardware they utilise.

4 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Again

I've been looking at the mini PC options you mention. The MEle  minis look attractive with Windows. In fact the Stellarmate X is obviously a MEle packaged with the Stellarmate OS etc. At least the MEle could be used for something else maybe. Using Windows also means being able to make use of familiar astro software. so that would be a plus. 

I was a bit concerned as the Stellarmate X doesn't have an external antenna. The MeLE PCG35 looks better but doesn't seem to available in the UK (at the moment, at least), tut! Oh well, I'll have to think about it will revisit after Easter!

Cheers

Louise

The StellarMate X is a fanless pc, as you already found out. There is also the StellarMate Pro, that has power outputs for various equipment and dew heaters. Unlike the ASIAIR, StellarMate is not limited to any particular vendor or equipment. But to be fair, I'm not a fan of the StellarMate app. Normally, I use a web browser connection to setup and monitor a sequence. It's easy and works on any operating system.

9 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I'm too old and impatient to tinker around much with other stuff.

Imho, any remote setup is going to require some tinkering and learning. But the technology is getting mature enough that the tinkering can be kept to a minimum. Also, the difference between Windows and Linux isn't much of an issue nowadays. When I started setting up a remote rig, there was no pre-installed and configured system, and installation required knowledge of Linux. Gina's various discussions on this forum are evidence of this. My latest installation (going from Ekos/Kstars, via Astroberry, to StellarMate) was a lot simpler with only needing to burn the system to a memory card and configuring it for my equipment.

4 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I tried out my wifi outside just with a Samsung phone, which is currently set to 2.4 GHz. It's a bit on the edge, and it cut out when I was downstairs but reconnected when I went outside. I was able to browse a bit on the net. It's from the second floor and through double glazing. It started raining so i cut my test short... I'll try again and maybe with the kitchen window ajar which might make a difference. I could also try moving the router closer to the kitchen.

I was a bit concerned as the Stellarmate X doesn't have an external antenna.

Wifi is going to be the weak link. The StellarMate pro (step up from the X) does have an external antenna, and it does have a hot spot mode. You might also consider a wifi antenna in your apartment. That might give you just enough signal for your setup. The advantage of a system on a fanless computer (Mele, StellarMate Pro, or Raspberry Pi) is that it is self contained. Once you've set up a sequence, it doesn't need further supervision. if the Wifi signal is lost, a sequence just keeps on going.

Oh well, I've ordered a MeLE Quieter 4C N100 with 16GB ddr4 and 512GB storage. I'm sure it will do the job providing the wifi works ok. (Fingers crossed!) The outside wifi signal will probably improve if I raise the router up above the bottom level of the kitchen window. I'll test that out with my phone and maybe also with the window open. I think Wifi doesn't much like double glazing...

Happy Easter everyone!

Louise

• Like 1

It doesn't really have a issue with windows, it's brickwork that can be problematic or any metal. I can be level with my rig indoors around 5M away and if I rest my phone on the worktop (therefore below the window shelf) the WiFi connection to my airs can be intermittent and slower, lift the phone up to window height and it's back at near full speed transfer rate.

Surrounding WiFi equipment utilising the same channels as your setup can also reduce connection reliability. You can install a WiFi analysing app on your phone to check what's around, then change the network channel in your devices to an unused or lower traffic one.

Edited by Elp

2 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Happy Easter. And good luck with setting up/configuration.

Thanks! It should be fairly straightforward as it will just be the Windows software I'm already familiar with. I may need a poe wifi extender, or possibly an access point, just outside the window but that's a small matter! An extender should do as it won't need to have a big range and it'll only be me using it. I should get the 4C on Tuesday. Also ordered a usb-c power connector - in anticipation!

All the best

Louise

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update. Can't believe it's been nearly a month! Anyway, I've got the the basic kit up and running, and with most of the astro software I expect to use installed (Ascom, Eqmod, Stellarium, APT, PHD2, Sharpcap) and configured (though I'm not sure about which platesolver to use - I've only ever used Astrotortilla in the past. Not sure if it's still useable?  I had a few issues with the Mele Quieter 4C in that I couldn't get Samsung Magician to run on it. I put a Samsung Evo 990 1Tb ssd in place of the included, generic 512Gb. It would have been easier if I could have transferred the Windows 11 system with Samsung Magician. I still don't know why it wouldn't work.  The support at Mele gave me a link to download a Win 11 so I could install it to the Evo 990 via usb thumb drive. It needed about 6 Windows updates... Anyway, having said and done all that, I've changed tack somewhat now .... I thought about the planned setup, and came to the conclusion that operating the kit at a distance wasn't going to be practical in reality (it seemed like a good idea at the time!). I decided instead to operate it close up via another portable computer. So, I bought a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 16" which has a lovely OLED screen. I've interfaced it via wifi to the Mele and via a BerylAX travel router (probably a bit overkill now!). The Inspiron has a touch screen to use it as a tablet. I'm still trying to get the hang of using said touch screen - maybe I just need to practice more! I also bought an active pen/stylus but it doesn't seem to quite do what I'd hoped it would, but that might just be me. There is some short delay between doing something on the touch screen and the Mele response, though it's not too bad. I may yet go back to just using a mouse... I've still to get a 12V battery but I'll probably order that early next week. I also may need to get some sort of trolley but haven't decided yet. The basic mount is still quite heavy for little me, so adding the battery, Dell and bits and pieces, will make it awkward to carry down the stairs. If I can reach it, there is a circular paved area (with shrubs/small trees!) about 50m from the back door. It's about 15m in diameter and has good views of the sky. A (shopping) trolley should be helpful? As the circle is a pedestrian area, I shouldn't get run over by anyone as long as I'm inside it (reminds me of The Devil Rides Out, ha ha). The rest of the immediate area is essentially a residents car park so standing out in the dark could be risky! Of course, I've had to configure the Mele to not use a password so that it operates essentially as an embedded system. Windows Remote Desktop seems to work quite well but if I close it then I need to power the Mele off manually i.e. use the power switch.

Meanwhile, it doesn't get dark until after 10:30pm now up here. That extends to nearly midnight in mid-June, and then it starts to get light again around 2:30 a.m.

Oh well, it's all about the journey...  

Louise

• Like 1

Amazing how time flies for sure. Glad you have made a lot of progress.

As regards plate solving v4.1 of SharpCap Pro now integrally has SharpSolve to replace using ASTAP etc. It has to be selected in the setings. I hope to transfer over from ASTAP to SharpSolve in time for the new season this autumn.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Cheers,

Steve

It may or may not be of use to you but one of my backpacks (large enough to carry a 130pds plus accessories) also has wheels and extending handle so useful for hauling then shuttling a short distance, you could likely utilise a similar travel bag for your needs.

• Like 1