Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6R Pro Polar Alignment frustrations

Hi All - I'm fortunate to have a EQ6R Pro that has been in residence for about a year (unfortunately predominately hidden in garage due to weather and forest fire conditions for most of the year).  The few times I've had it out, I've failed to get a proper Polar Alignment.  I've used all the tools Sharp Cap, PoleMaster, Plate Solving and so on.

My main issue has been once I'm within a couple of degree's I can get it to position no better.  Fine adjustments on both RA and DEC give cause to jump around.  I've watch every video/help show and finally have to admit defeat (hopefully short lived).  

The EQ6R Pro has the same issues the EQ6 has (with northern latitudes).  RA adjustments are just as horrendous no matter how sensitive I try to be.  

The EQ6 had some tools created for it that one could purchase (RAIL Kit) that seemed to solve one of my issues (unfortunately not available for the Pro).  

My question is:  Has anyone else experienced this and if so how have you addressed it.  I'm at that place where I'm thinking on replacing this mount if I can't resolve it and the next step is quite more expensive.   

Jim

Vernon, BC

Canada

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimAnderson said:

Hi All - I'm fortunate to have a EQ6R Pro that has been in residence for about a year (unfortunately predominately hidden in garage due to weather and forest fire conditions for most of the year).  The few times I've had it out, I've failed to get a proper Polar Alignment.  I've used all the tools Sharp Cap, PoleMaster, Plate Solving and so on.

My main issue has been once I'm within a couple of degree's I can get it to position no better.  Fine adjustments on both RA and DEC give cause to jump around.  I've watch every video/help show and finally have to admit defeat (hopefully short lived).  

The EQ6R Pro has the same issues the EQ6 has (with northern latitudes).  RA adjustments are just as horrendous no matter how sensitive I try to be.  

The EQ6 had some tools created for it that one could purchase (RAIL Kit) that seemed to solve one of my issues (unfortunately not available for the Pro).  

My question is:  Has anyone else experienced this and if so how have you addressed it.  I'm at that place where I'm thinking on replacing this mount if I can't resolve it and the next step is quite more expensive.   

Jim

Vernon, BC

Canada

Hi Jim. Sorry you are having problems. I also have the EQ6R Pro and I think the main issue in getting polar aligned is that the bolts are pretty terrible!

I use the SharpCap PA tool and after a bit of practice can get down to 15-20 arsecs. At my focal length, even an arcmin is plenty good enough. I actually put a little grease on the bolt threads which makes fine adjustment a little easier. The azimuth bolts are not too bad, but the altitude bolt is pretty terrible!

But persevere. It can be done. Just go gently and don't adjust too much each time.

I have my rig permanently outside (under a Telegizmos cover) which means I am staying more or less polar aligned the whole time and it only really needs a slight tweek every so often. I thoroughly recommend this, rather than setting up and taking down every session and having to polar align from scratch.

A few things to look out for

Check that the azimuth bolts have not been bent, Screw then all the way out and check the ends for roughness and the that the bolts are strait.

With the mount off take a look at the square peg that the azimuth bolts push against. Is the mark made by the bolts fully on the flat part if not adjust its height.

Is the peg tight

Screw out the altitude bolts. Do the same checks as you did on the azimuth adjusters.

You don't list what scope you are using to do the polar alignment but I found that using a cheap guide scope and camera on a dovetail to reduce the weight on the adjusters (instead of the main scope being fitted) made for comfortable polar alignment. when done just remove and fit the main scope.

Also use the motor to move the scope through 90 degrees rather than loosening the clutch  when using Sharpcap

Some excellent suggestions - thank you StuartT and Tomatobro.   As I was reading your suggestions one thought crossed my mind and it was possibly I've tighten the mount bolt to tight and I'm getting binding on RA.  On DEC I don't have an approachable excuse other than to do as suggested and check to see if I've been overly enthusiastic and indeed have a bent bolt.   We have snow coming for the next number of days so, I've time to play doctor.  

Are you aware of any support products that implement the EQ6 Rail Kit or  EQ6 Wedge for the EQ6R Pro?  

I am probably close to the upper level the mount is able to handle comfortable (WO FLT132, WO Megrez 80, WO Guider, ASI Focuser, ASI EFW, ASI Air Pro, ASI6200MC, ASI290).  

All the best and thank you 

Jim

Hi Jim

I have access to machine tools and have looked at what could be done to make the adjustment easier and in the end I decided that just removing all the weight of the adjusters was the way to go. I made up a small scope and camera, set up the mount with this installed first, polar aligned and then fitted the main scope. I found that the polar alignment was still satisfactory using this method

Using Sharpcap pro to polar align

IMG_20211016_115544.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
clarification
  • Like 1