NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any Astronomy Resolutions For 2009..

Greg

Mine are..

1. Spread the word..I've already got a couple of people in work asking me astro questions after showing them some of my "Duff" Images..!!

2. Learn to image some basic DSO targets properly.

3. Learn to process some basic DSO targets properly.

4. Get my son (Lewys) Looking through my scope more often.

Greg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine are[list type=decimal]

[li]Learn the basic features of the moon rather than cursing whenever it is around.[/li]

[li]Continue to learn my way round the sky.[/li]

[li]Start looking at and learning about double and variable stars.[/li]

[li]Produce magnificent images - well, ones I'm prepared to let other people see.[/li]

Mike

Mine is (well I'll desperately try anyway!).

"To be satisfied with the equipement I have, and not spend recklessly on stuff that I don't need, and which won't enhance the hobby by the amount "£'s" I spend."

Some hope!

Best wishes

philsail1

P.S. I've just seen a Crayford Focuser for my Intes MK66!

I want it,

I NEED IT,

I'M GOING TO BUY IT AS SOON AS THE SHOP OPENS AFTER THE NEW YEAR HOLIDAY!!

Hm...

I'd like to rationalise my current kit into two or three scopes as I don't need 6!

Get better at image processing.

Get proficient at star hopping (getting there but y'know...).

Sort out some kind of website for them piccies.

And just to learn more, imaging oir observing, whatever!

Tony..

Hmmmm, tricky.... I think:

1)Like Mike, learn more about lunar features.

2)Like Phil, be satisfied with the equipment I have (fat chance, can't wait until Monday! :) )

3)Get on with my projects

4)Promote more interest in astronomy at my school, start a club if possible.

Stef

For me:

1. Learn to observe, not just have a quick look :) . I've had this book for Christmas and am going to use it as the manual for my apprenticeship in Observing.

2. Linked with 1 - the astronomical equivalent of the 'I'm going to get more exercise/lose weight etc' ie I'm going to properly log my observations!

3. Linked with 1 and 2 - get the observatory set up so that its easy to observe and log (so I have no excuse for not doing so :p ).

4. Get my astrophotography back on track by taking the time in the light to set up the cameras, scope etc properly, so that its easy in the dark and cold. And get into habit of darks, flats etc.

5. Improve my processing skills. And get a POW and a picture in next year's calendar (Mike is looking for a return on our investment!!!).

6. Encourage my family and friends to look more. Particularly getting Jean's Lightbridge pimped so that its easier for her to move (I feel a wheelbarrow wheels project coming on!!). And getting my nephew Richard enthused again.

7. Have fun!! (which will include star parties and on here too!)

Happy New Year!!

Helen

Get much more observing in now I don't work nightshift.

Learn the sky well enough to be able to know where to point the scope :)

Get up to Kielder observatory as often as possible and try to help out with the events they have planned for the IYOA.

1. Sort my gear out and sell off anything I wont use to fund other projects (see 5)

2. Finish projects properly rather than get them to a usable state :)

3. Setup a temperature related darks bank.

4. Setup my astro website (apache problem now cured...sort of)

5. Don't spend any money (her indoors orders)

6. Automate my roll of roof using Blue Peter methods (see 5)

7. Supercool my 350D so I can eclipse hubble, must be done on a shoestring (see 5)

8. Learn my local weather more

9. Put into practice CS3 method's I learned at night school.

10. Disregard (5)

And finally give up smoking properly, Ive been on patches for weeks but the minute I sit down in the obs I have a crafty ciggy telling my self Ive gone all day without one and this is a reward moment :laughing2: :laughing2:

Like George Rationalise and Sell off all the kit that I dont use ......

Aim for a minimum of 5 hours data on each DSO ......

Start thinking about imaging through the 8" SCT rather tahn just using it as a guidescope even though

its a pretty good one :) ......

Learn to "love" rather than "hate" the moon .......

Stop posting Roughs and WIP images in Imaging Deep Sky - Only "finished ones" - More for Rog's benefit :p ......

Billy ...

Beginners resolutions :)

1) Work out how to properly align my polarscope when I can't see Polaris

2) Work out how to star align my goto when I can only see mostly SW-ish

3) See something through the telescope and name it other than the moon, Jupiter and Albireo

4) Take some photos

5) Find somewhere to observe that's safe and lets me see more of the sky.

(I'm still at the bottom of the steep learning curve :p )

Being very much a learner, I'll try to keep my interest going - it seems almost every time I get the chance to get the 'scope out, something frustrates me and I end up going back inside very disheartened... :)

Sometimes things do go to plan though, and that helps to boost my confidence a little. Also being a member of SGL helps a lot as there are always plenty of very enthusiastic members. After reading their posts it always makes me want to go out and try again... :p

My new year aims are

1 To get Swindon Stargazers club off the ground and up and running in February

2 To carry on teaching my friend Ben Astronomy and hopefully others

3 To do my best in my new Open University courses which start in February

4 To make the most of my observing time and more importantly the times I cant observe due to cloudy skies

5 Finally to continue to try and be helpful to the members of this wonderful Forum both old and new

regards Pete

Lol . get a life i think and stop wasting anymore money on astro gear . i have topped £25000, need to draw back and think now of anytime i have left. spend more time at home ,think of retiring ,try and enjoy life a bit more .

Rog

lets see how i do eh!! :)

Tired of the awful weather and having all this equipment that I can never seem to use. For example, as I posted elsewhere, set up three nights running over Christmas under clear skies and then it clouded over. This is happening far too often and it is really cheesing me off.

So my resolution is to sell it all and give up this silly hobby.

You mustn't dwell on giving up Geoff. Of course, we all agree the conditions have been excessively bad over the last year, and frustrations have reached self destruct proportions, but just think. You sell all your gear, and then we start to enjoy a complete change in the conditions. Long spells of Idyllic observing and Imaging weather, and there you are with nothing to use. I can hear your cries of frustration from here. :laughing2: Abandon thoughts of quitting mate, stickability and fortitude are the backbone of the British Amateur Astronomer. :thumbright:

Ron. :)

Archived