SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tips on keeping interested in summer

Hi all,

I got started with astronomy in January this year, and had some enjoyable time with the winter sky. My garden's south-facing so I had Orion to anchor my viewing right in the centre, and I could aim off that.

Now a combination of it getting dark a lot later and the fact that I don't have that instantly-recognisable, very bright constellation to anchor me means that I'm feeling a bit less interested and a bit more lost. Also the skies don't actually seem that clear - despite beautiful blue skies every day, the night seems a bit thick (see forecast for tonight below, humidity is "very bad").

I'm in Hertfordshire (SE England) in a bright suburban area and have a 6" dob with only manual star-hopping and phone apps to rely on.

Does anyone have any tips for key things to look out for, or what they like about summer viewing? I've got Turn Left at Orion but don't feel that inspired by it...

Also if anyone can tell me if that "very bad" humidity reading is a serious issue or not for viewing that would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Rob

PS I'm looking forward to the big three planets being more visible a bit later in summer!

image.png.6a4321daab7ef2f50204e8a4774978e5.png

Now is my favourite observing time of the year. Galaxies are in abundance. I only have a small scope but just making out those faint smudges is the thrill of the year for me. I would start with the Leo Triplet and if you are able to see two of them, then try the many Messier galaxies in Virgo and Coma Berenices. Of course it does depend on your light pollution.  Later in the summer, Sagittarius is full of beauties if your horizon is low enough and the Milky Way is high over head.

The crisp freshness of a clear January Orion is hard to beat but the milder evenings bring a certainly more comfortable experience. Hope you have fun.

Hi Rob,

I love how the spring/summer constellations remind me of warm, late evening. There are some nice globular around too.

I think it helps to have a long term goal of some kind. Although I am happy enough just browsing and reading about objects, who discovered them, how far away they are etc etc.

I recently started sketching and have decided to try and sketch all 110 Messier objects. This have been really fun and has me itching to get outside whenever possible! It also provides direction for my observing targets (though I frequently go off piste!).

Having said all that, dont try to force a hobby that you just arent interested in.

Slightly off topic but not totally. I get frustrated by goto. I would not have a goto mount if it was offered to me for free. It kinds defeats half the fun for me; learning the night sky, star hopping, discovering objects on route to your final destination, getting lost! The challenge and the reward. The thrill is in the chase.

I feel like manual guiding is like playing a game of football, you are right there, involved, making decisions, trying to get somewhere and learning along the way. Goto is like sitting in the stands and watching the game. Sure you get to see the same stuff but you just sit there, it all gets shown to you while you just...spectate.

The analogy is not mine but from a book review I read a long time ago.

Edited by miguel87
  • Like 3

It's been very clear most nights this last week and I've enjoyed spending time looking for the galaxies in the Canes Venatici area as they're perfectly overhead, so the best time to find them. You should have Leo in the SW too so plenty there. I'm restricted in the east from my garden so the opposite to you with mine facing NW. No idea about humidity effect, learning these things myself, but I'm in an area with a Bortle 5 rating and there's plenty to work around. 

I have printed off some charts to take out with me as I found the phone app was getting a bit troublesome. Trying to grab 10-12pm this week as that just about works. 

• Like 1

Hi Rob

My garden also faces south, so this time of year its Leo that I look for to the south as its getting dark. It's a nice obvious one that, like Orion, actually looks like its supposed to. I don't use apps on a phone, but do use stellarium (which is free) on a laptop just inside the house to get an idea of what to look for, and at this time of year there are lots of galaxies and globulars to aim at in the constellations nearby. 

High humidity does make the sky less transparent so it does make it harder to get the faint stuff, but much depends on the man-made lights you have in the area as they make the whole sky less dark. Do any of the apps you use say what your sky's are like? There's not much you can do about it, but try and find a dark spot in your garden without lights shining directly on it and let your eyes get properly used to the dark and that will help.

Over the summer there are lots of things to look for but it won't be that dark til 11 or 12 and starts getting light by 2 so gets much harder.

Jupiter and Saturn will be really low down this time, but Mars will be nice and high, so that should look good.

• Like 1

Besides looking at objects suggested in earlier posts.....

The lunar terminator in particular can grab my attention for hours. Really dark sky not necessary.
Short exposure time means you can grab images even with a stationary dob.

Then preparation for next season.....

I assume your dob scope has perfect base and alt bearings. No sticking, or lumpy bits.
You are 100% happy with the finder arrangements and don't wish to change anything.
You don't think there is any point in flocking the tube.
Your viewing locations are perfect. Level, easy access, no mud, etc. Don't need a path laying, etc.
There are no nearby specific light sources you want to mask by any means.
What I'm getting at is that even if don't observe in summer, there is preparation you can do.
The astronomy season never closes. It is just the activites that change.

Off now to mow the lawn and wash the car. 😁

David.

Try double / multiple star systems: Leo has several really impressive double stars if your local seeing doesn't suit finding its galaxies.

A brighter Messier object that is also well placed at the moment in Cancer, Leo's neighbour, is the superb M44.

Later on in the Summer, you'll have Epilson Lyrae and M57 very well placed for example. There's always something! 🙂

Because of light pollution, I like to focus on the Moon and planets. You just have to cut your cloth to suit your local conditions.

Clear skies

Edited by Peter_D
  • Like 1

Peter_D is so right, “there is always something”

Like you my wife and I are new to astronomy, we spent ages last night looking at M44, it’s a stunning cluster and I couldn’t believe how many different coloured stars it contains, this was using a cheap ST 102, it was so nice  it made me want to buy a appo triplet!! We also really enjoy the moon and have recently downloaded the Lunar 100 which should be fun to try and complete. Double stars are also a favourite, not only the challenge of splitting the tight ones but some are really pretty to look at. I downloaded a brilliant double star app for my iPhone for I think for 99p it is simply called “Double Stars” and is unbelievably comprehensive.

There's a lot of good tips above, I would add the idea of picking only a few targets for a session, picking ones that are easy to find and easy to observe, reading up on the objects before you observe them so you know about what you are looking at in some depth, and giving each one lots of time at the eyepiece.

Reading up afterwards also helps to knit my knowledge together.

Picking targets fairly close to each other makes it easier, and picking targets so you can naturally hop from one to the next makes it much easier.

Transient events (like conjunctions) and objects (like asteroids and comets) also add interest.

I would avoid tough dso's unless/until you have a good idea of what is and is not doable in different circumstances as they can be very demoralising.

Venus is great even before dark, and I agree with the comment about the moon, there is a huge amount to see on the moon but the skill I think is needed is almost the opposite of dso observing. With dso's you are trying to pick out something from almost nothing, with the moon you need to be able to put out of your mind all the various features you could be looking at and absolutely focus on the one specific feature you are interested in. I don't find this easy to do.

• Like 1

tonightssky.com is a good web site to plan things out. It can sort the objects by constellation so that keeps you in the same part of the sky in terms of star hopping and is a convenient tool to use. I download my list to a .csv file, open it in Excel, remove everything but Cat. 1, Cat 2., Type, Mag, Const, and Common Names from my spreadsheet then reduce the Common Names so that everything fits on a single sheet of Landscape oriented paper (instead of bleeding over onto a second page with very little text on it) then do a sort first by Const (constellation) then by Type. That way I have a nice list to work from and stay in the same part of the sky as I move through targets. 

Hi Rob,

I recall feeling similarly to what you describe. My first winter in the hobby 5 years ago was a wonderful journey of discovery, but after a year I started to feel I'd ticked the visual astronomy box, no matter what I read here. I'd seen galaxies, clusters, nebulae and double stars and wondered what else was on offer as I didn't fancy either the cost or effort of astro photography.

What changed my mind was attending my local astronomy club (I'm lucky to have Rosliston Astronomy Group near to me). Spending an evening under the stars with my own equipment and a group of much more experienced observers re-launched my interest and I've never looked back. I even got seduced by the dark side and added AP to my hobby.

I am either much poorer or much richer depending on if you're looking at my bank account or my quality of life.

I'm very much in the same boat as you, Rob. I only know a few winter constellations like Orion, The Plough, etc. The rest are just a mystery to me, at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Dr Strange said:

tonightssky.com is a good web site to plan things out. It can sort the objects by constellation so that keeps you in the same part of the sky in terms of star hopping and is a convenient tool to use. I download my list to a .csv file, open it in Excel, remove everything but Cat. 1, Cat 2., Type, Mag, Const, and Common Names from my spreadsheet then reduce the Common Names so that everything fits on a single sheet of Landscape oriented paper (instead of bleeding over onto a second page with very little text on it) then do a sort first by Const (constellation) then by Type. That way I have a nice list to work from and stay in the same part of the sky as I move through targets. 

This comes up with nothing for me tonight?? Is that correct?

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 20.24.16.png

I've been observing for around 40 years now and somehow the interest has kept alive although the skies are largely the same as they were when I started :smiley:

I have favourite targets as the seasons progress and it's nice to re-acquaint myself with them as the weeks pass. The planetary positions have been pretty awkward (Venus aside) over the past few years which has made observing them challenging but where there is a will there is (usually) a way and their positions will improve over time.

The special events that crop up such as interesting conjunctions, lunar and solar eclipses, the occasional brighter comet, supernovae, etc, sprinkle some spice into the mix at intervals.

When new equipment comes along that has to be tested on the familiar targets of course and then pushed to see if new challenges are now possible.

And also each season there new targets to seek out as skills are developed and I learn how to push myself and my equipment further. Often it's been on this forum that I've learned of something new to have a go for.

I've had a few periods when I've not been as active an observer and sometimes such a break is good and I have found that I appreciate things more when I do start observing again.

In the past few years I've joined my local society (at long last !) and that has provided me with the opportunity to take part in outreach events. These have added an important and very enjoyable new dimension to the hobby for me. I have found there is nothing like sharing the views I enjoy with others to re-kindle my enthusiasm and I can share in their excitement as they observe for the first time what have become "old friends" to me.

As yet I have not been tempted into imaging either !

• Like 6

On 22/04/2020 at 11:52, miguel87 said:

Slightly off topic but not totally. I get frustrated by goto. I would not have a goto mount if it was offered to me for free. It kinds defeats half the fun for me; learning the night sky, star hopping, discovering objects on route to your final destination, getting lost! The challenge and the reward. The thrill is in the chase.

Brilliant 

• Like 3

For me, observing at a fairly light polluted site, this can be a slightly frustrating time of year. There are galaxies aplenty well positioned but they are largely invisible from here. The comets too have been difficult and underwhelming due to the LP.

I have satisfied myself with trawls of the lovely open clusters in Auriga and also around Cassiopeia. There are the globulars and double stars to get familiar with too which cut through light pollution better than galaxies.

I had a tremendous run for a week or two in the earlier part of lockdown when I was observing the sun during the day, then picking up Venus and then swinging the scope back to pick up the Moon. Don’t under estimate the pleasure that can be found from the Moon, and there is always the Lunar 100 to be attempted. If you look in the Lunar Observing section there are some stickies on this:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/30-observing-lunar/

One of my favourite times of year is late summer, when Astro darkness has returned and Cygnus and the Milky Way are high over head. This is hopeless from home, but I normally go camping in Dorset or Devon at that time of year somewhere dark enough to be able to enjoy these lovely sights. The Veil Nebula and North America Nebula are wonderful objects to view at this time of year from dark sites.

I think the key thing for maintaining interest is variety and also interaction with others. I belong to a lovely little club which we setup ourselves a good few years back. It now has a wonderful core of people from all walks of life who are supportive and enthusiastic about observing together whenever we can. We even had a zoom call the other week to make sure we stay in touch.

Variety as I mentioned is important for me, so is recognising that observing challenges take all forms. I enjoy pushing small scopes to their limits to see what is possible; it is just as rewarding for me to split a tight double or see a shadow transit in a small scope from home as it is to spot a faint galaxy from a dark site with a big dob; it is all about pushing yourself, improving your observing skills and making the most of what you have got. I also enjoy observing the same familiar targets in different kit, and particularly enjoy older refractors, seeing just what they can do so I do but and sell kit fairly frequently so as to be able to experience this.

Goto was mentioned earlier. To me this is a non argument. I enjoy them all; fully manual star hopping, simple EQ tracking, push-to and Full Goto mounts. They all have their benefits and pleasures. Don’t be told how to enjoy your astronomy, do what suits you and what you enjoy! Under poorer skies, Goto can mean the difference between seeing plenty of targets on a clear evening vs being frustrated by the challenge of finding enough stars to hop from! I do more generally use push-to/Goto from home and when under good skies I prefer manual star hopping.

So, there is always something to see. Keep things fresh and choose your targets based on what suits your observing circumstances and what you enjoy. You will soon learn to recognise Leo well positioned in Spring, or Cygnus overhead in Summer, and then bring on the Planets, they will be here before I stop talking! 🤣🤣

Enjoy!

• Like 9

My plan was to attempt mirror grinding and figuring for a larger dob this summer - I suspect that would easily burn up a summer and astro darkness would return in no time!  

It might also kill any interest in astronomy...

I've changed tack slightly though. I'm sticking to making and improving some alt/az fork mounts and tripod configurations for my observation bins and perhaps a large refractor...

And reading about galaxies and nebulae. I've tons of reading material now.

Edited by Ships and Stars

Hi rob it’s always great to to hear and share other people’s opinions And experiences on what they do During what is a more challenging  time of the year for many of the reasons mentioned above. But as the spring summer progressed I’ve alway concentrated on brighter objects , the moon and most of the brighter clusters like m13 or if the conditions were poor  I’d spend a evening with Bino’s looking for objects like the ‘ coat hanger ‘.Ive not been very active the last couple of years myself but last going off I used to switch to solar observing at this time of year ,I used to own a Coronado PST and i spent hours observing the sun ( and sunburn is far easier to treat than frostbite 😀).

Edited by Matthew

On 22/04/2020 at 11:52, miguel87 said:

I feel like manual guiding is like playing a game of football, you are right there, involved, making decisions, trying to get somewhere and learning along the way. Goto is like sitting in the stands and watching the game. Sure you get to see the same stuff but you just sit there, it all gets shown to you while you just...spectate.

It depends on the level of light pollution in your area. Bortle 6 and above makes star hopping and finding objects very difficult, there is nothing wrong with GoTo if it helps you see the wonders out there

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

It depends on the level of light pollution in your area. Bortle 6 and above makes star hopping and finding objects very difficult, there is nothing wrong with GoTo if it helps you see the wonders out there

Never made any sense to me, if you can view the object e.g. galaxy or nebula or whatever. Then you can definitely see the stars to hop there.

If the LP is so bad you cant star hop, you have no chance of viewing the object 

There is nothing wrong with GoTo. Just my own personal preference.

Edited by miguel87

2 minutes ago, miguel87 said:

If the LP is so bad you cant star hop, you have no chance of viewing the object 

Not so, particularly with other DSOs like clusters. I have real trouble seeing even the major stars in Cancer with the naked eye to find a place to start a star hop, yet can see M67 and M44 clearly in the scope so they are worth finding.

Nope, nothing wrong with Goto at all, it is a tool which many people find helps their observing pleasure a lot, particularly under difficult LP situations. I say that as someone who also loves star hopping when I’m able to. I enjoy spending most of my time observing the object, not trying to find it!

• Like 2

Goto and tracking makes for a relaxed experience, is great for showing other people objects and obviously makes imaging easier. AZ manual mounts are great too. Quick to set up and simple to use... There's no perfect way...

Anyway, summer observing still offers plenty of interest. Balmy evenings with the Moon are smashing. There's plenty to learn about it and Luna is a great subject for smartphone photography. If you can get somewhere rural, the Milky Way is a joy and early/late summer rural sky quality beats my winter at home.

My plan this year was to get out camping around Bowland, the Yorkshire Dales and Snowdonia, taking the AZ-GTI and trying some wide field/sky scape photography but alas, those plans are scuppered. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not so, particularly with other DSOs like clusters. I have real trouble seeing even the major stars in Cancer with the naked eye to find a place to start a star hop, yet can see M67 and M44 clearly in the scope so they are worth finding.

Exactly, I agree. I can also see DSO’s but would struggle finding them by star hopping. I started out by star hopping, I wouldn’t want to go back there, I also prefer spending my time on the object....but that’s the beauty of the hobby, so many different ways to enjoy it 

• Like 2