NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cable management

smr

Hi,

I need to tidy up my cables and do some cable management really. What's teh best way of doing this? I need to buy a USB Hub anyway as I've ran out of USB ports on my laptop and have an EQMOD Cable coming in the post. 

Is there a good reliable USB hub to buy to attach to the mount and what's the best way of doing that?

Here's how it looks at the mo

20200415_194004.jpg

Edited by smr

Startech USB hubs always seem to be well spoken of.  I use a number of Orico 7-port USB3 hubs that have proved to be very reliable so far, though I have found one USB2 device that doesn't seem happy talking to them.

For keeping the cables tidy lots of people seem to use spiral binding, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that you can get something similar that doesn't actually spiral around the cables and instead has "fingers" that wrap around them, a bit like those plastic document bindings.  Apparently they're much easier for adding and removing cables if you need to do so.  If only I could find the post with the details :(

James

• Like 2

Hi,

I use a Startech 7 port USB 3.0 hub.  I have used this for a number of years and find it to be very reliable.  It is an active hub so you can plug a 12v supply into it.

As the casing is metal I have use some heavy duty velcro on the back of the hub and on the mount.  I just push it on when  setting up and I've had no problems to date.

I've attached a link to the hub but if you shop around you can get it a bit cheaper around £55.00.  https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Hubs/7-port-usb-3-hub~ST7300U3M.

I tried cheaper hubs but wasted my money as they could not deal with the data throughput then this hub was recommended to me and it's been great.

Doug

Edited by Doug64
  • Like 2

Here is mine. Same scope (different colour) and mount but USB3 dedicated camera.

IMG_0025.thumb.JPEG.523aa25a0054c58fb712beffaba6e638.JPEG

The USB3 hub is one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L32B9C2/ no issues at all with it.

The cables are held in place with these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DQLHVJX and these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G2BZXK.

The cable harness is a combination of spiral wrap and cables cables held in place with hook and loop Velcro ties https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DF3Y6GW

The view around the other side for the other axis is much the same with a similar harness (slightly lighter as less cables) and there is another USB3 hub on the other side. I have kept the USB3 devices separate from USB2 devices so I doing get any timing issues.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

I also shortened the cables running to the dewheater controller as they were too long. I can disconnect about 4 cables from the scope and unzip the dewstraps and remove the scope and replace with another one very quickly. The cables stay in place.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

Another alternative is the Pegasus Ultimate Power Box V2, 6 x USB, 4 x Dew, Focuser, 4 x 12v power.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive, when set up all I'll have trailing down is 1 x USB to computer and 1 x power cable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Make sure that you get a powered hub. I found that USB powered hubs a bit hit and miss.

Yes, I would definitely do this.  Can save many headaches.

James

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Will order a suitable USB Hub, just need to work out a way of fixing it to the mount then. 

I'm in the process of buying an EQMod cable and I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages of buying a 5m cable over a 2m cable. Is it the shorter the better with these kind of cables ? I wouldn't want one that's 1m though as that's too short.

I think if I bought a 5m cable I'd be able to use it on Holiday at my family's holiday home - mount outside and 5m cable from mount to laptop inside caravan etc. I guess I could just loop up the rest of the cable when I'm at home which isn't needed?

2 minutes ago, smr said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Will order a suitable USB Hub, just need to work out a way of fixing it to the mount then. 

I'm in the process of buying an EQMod cable and I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages of buying a 5m cable over a 2m cable. Is it the shorter the better with these kind of cables ? I wouldn't want one that's 1m though as that's too short.

I think if I bought a 5m cable I'd be able to use it on Holiday at my family's holiday home - mount outside and 5m cable from mount to laptop inside caravan etc. I guess I could just loop up the rest of the cable when I'm at home which isn't needed?

Go with the 5m cable.

I use a star tech 4 channel hub, metal case, reliable item. An astro hub would be a good investment. I have a V3 Hitec Astro MHP and it controls power and usb, plus focuser and dew heaters. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Go with the 5m cable.

I use a star tech 4 channel hub, metal case, reliable item. An astro hub would be a good investment. I have a V3 Hitec Astro MHP and it controls power and usb, plus focuser and dew heaters. 

Yes an Astrohub would be nice, just looking at some powered usb hubs at the moment. Just trying to figure out how many ports I need...

1x DSLR
1x Guidecam
1x Dew heater band (one is USB)
1x EQMod cable

So a 4 port should do ok. If i get a dedicated astro camera then that replaces the DSLR. Can't think of anyother USB powered things I'd need to connect.

Would it be ok to get a magnetic USB hub if I can, or would it not be a good idea to have something magnetic stuck onto the side of the mount (with the electronics etc. inside)

Edited by smr

20 minutes ago, smr said:

Can't think of anyother USB powered things I'd need to connect.

Do you think you'd ever end up using a filter wheel or an automated focuser?  Although I guess you could always add a multi-hub Anker into one of the USB slots at the time & still be fine?  Cheers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smr said:

Ok thanks,

A lot of these USB hubs have very short cables. Do you use an extension USB cable to connect to laptop ? 

Most of the better ones like Startech actually don't come with a cable, you use your own, so you can choose what length you need.

• Like 2

Just now, RayD said:

Most of the better ones like Startech actually don't come with a cable, you use your own, so you can choose what length you need.

Duh yep just realised that ! :)

I used an Anker 7-port hub (+3 charging ports) which worked very well, until I upgraded to an all-in-one cable management box (the Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox) which provides 4x12V power supply, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2x dew controller ports and an autofocuser motor port.

• Like 1

£40 for Startech 7 port on amazon, £55 for the metal version. Is it worth paying the extra for the metal version ? I'd probably just velcro whichever one I get to the mount and leave it attached so I'm wondering if I need the metal one or the plastic version will suffice.

Edited by smr

I have a plastic 7 port Startech  that's been outside stuck on the pier with Velcro for ages with no problem, I do give the sockets a squirt of contact cleaner now and again.

Got tape over all the pretty blue lights.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

The only downside is that the LEDs (like far too many devices) are a bit bright at night.

I put a piece of black insulting tape over the LEDs on my Orico hubs.  It seems to cut down the brightness enormously whilst still leaving them visible.

James

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

If you are using Velcro to mount anything to your scope/mount/tripod try to get this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M7P18HP as other lesser versions do have a tendency to come unstuck in time (not very long).

I’ve used that particular one myself. Takes pliers to peel it off whatever it’s been stuck to if you ever want to remove it. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby