NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From Portsmouth!

Dan13

Hi everyone, 

Always had an interest in the night sky and now with life changes im able to get into the hobby of stargazing ive always wanted!

Im pretty new to this and have found although i like the viewing side ,the astrophotography side has grabbed me more.

My set up

Skywatcher 130pds

EQ5 mount with dual axis motor

Canon 750D

Hope to speak to you all and share some amazing images.

All the best

Dan

• Like 1

Hi Dan

Welcome from Land Down Under

I am running a ED80 on an EQ5Pro mount, now also now have the SynScan WiFi adapter, and downloaded the SynScan App

The mount also takes my SolarMax11 as well

Attached pic was taken at a recent club solar viewing day, on the foreshore, Goldcoast

Members of the public walking past, were also invited to view Sol, our sun

Unfortunately that day was no sunspots, but several nice  prominence's were visible  

Have also included pic of the WiFi adapter, and screen print SynScan APP

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

SynScan WiFi adapter.jpeg

Screen print SynScan App.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Hi Dan and welcome to the best forum on the internet, probably. :tongue:

Straight in at the deep end I would say, starting with a deep interest in astro photography. :smiley:

haha, yes ive been told this! so far ive imaged M42, M81 and 82 and im having a lot of fun!

2 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Yes I guess so - I've chatted to people in the New Forest and met someone in Whiteley to buy something.

There's a guy in Gosport who has an observatory build thread.

oh nice! very close to me whiteley. you into to astrophotography more or viewing?

I started with borrowing a 70mm refractor from a colleague, just to look at the moon.

Soon after I bought a 114mm eq mounted reflector and a 150mm dosonian for viewing.

A bundle came up on ebay a year or so later (150mm reflector on an HEQ5 mount, old laptop, webcams etc) which started me on the long road to astrophotography.

Then equipment became bigger and pricier whilst I sorted out what I wanted to concentrate on.

Now I have too much stuff for the conditions in the UK!

And you?

2 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I started with borrowing a 70mm refractor from a colleague, just to look at the moon.

Soon after I bought a 114mm eq mounted reflector and a 150mm dosonian for viewing.

A bundle came up on ebay a year or so later (150mm reflector on an HEQ5 mount, old laptop, webcams etc) which started me on the long road to astrophotography.

Then equipment became bigger and pricier whilst I sorted out what I wanted to concentrate on.

Now I have too much stuff for the conditions in the UK!

And you?

HAHA! i no the feeling! i sold the dob and bought a 130pds and eq5 mount. im currently looking for a decent filter for my canon 750 so i can see more HA in my shots but theres so many im really confused as to what to purchase....any ideas?

Ive just posted my first two images ive finally got and processed this week in the imaging dso section :)

1 minute ago, Dan13 said:

im currently looking for a decent filter for my canon 750 so i can see more HA in my shots but theres so many im really confused as to what to purchase....any ideas?

Best thing to do is look in the beginner imaging section. You won't 'see' more of anything, filters block what you don't want to 'see'.

Exposure times are the main driver for getting more data. My advice (I used to do this) is not to ping around the sky all night imaging multiple targets. Concentrate on 1 thing at a time.

1 minute ago, Jonk said:

Best thing to do is look in the beginner imaging section. You won't 'see' more of anything, filters block what you don't want to 'see'.

Exposure times are the main driver for getting more data. My advice (I used to do this) is not to ping around the sky all night imaging multiple targets. Concentrate on 1 thing at a time.

solid advice mate and yes i started to do this now, get one object in mind to shoot and stay on that! i found i was all over the place haha, so would a HA filter benefit me alot more then just a standard light pollution filter?

I've never used an Ha filter on a DSLR, but do have a CLS LP filter.

Try short subs without a filter, say 2-3 minutes each but get lots of them.

Your choice of targets is important too.

Edited by Jonk
Fat Fumbs