Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Slightly odd piece of advice in respect of TEC refractors

I’m a member of the TEC mailing group and a slightly odd query cropped up today. A poster mentioned that the tube rings on his TEC140 had effectively become ‘glued’ to the ota and couldn’t be removed. He wanted some advice on how to de-attach them.

Yuri replied that he had only seen this once before in 800 scopes and he would provide some instructions to remove it (he didn’t say what they were). Another poster then stated that he also had had this issue and the only way he had managed to remove them was by giving the ota a good whack - not something I’d like to do! He also said the issue was worse when the tube rings had not been moved for a while so he now undid them every few months.

When I got home this evening, I thought I’d check my TEC rings and to my surprise they had become pretty stuck. However, I managed to gently ease them off with no issues. On inspection, the padding inside the rings isn’t the usual felt but instead a sort of rubber that I can see could go a bit sticky over time. 

So I’m now going to undo my tube rings every now and then as a precaution. 

Gratuitous photo of my TEC160FL with the rings off this evening 😀

C773BFEA-8446-4149-A32A-F9A6CF93F0A6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This may sound dense but, how about putting a very thin layer of baby powder on the rubber? not enough to cause any slip but, maybe it will have the same effect as when tape gets a bit dusty it doesn't stick anymore.

Forgot to mention, WHAT A SCOPE? a 160! sheesh!

Edited by Sunshine

I had a not dissimilar situation with my Tak, the covering between rings and scope was quite hard, brittle material that did get a little stuck to the scope and left a black residue.

Some Sticky Stuff Remover dealt with the issue on the scope and when removing the material from the rings. I then replaced it with self adhesive felt from Hobby Craft which is much better!

We like gratuitous refractor shots, so thank you for finding an excuse for that!! 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It sounds like De Solve It "Sticky Stuff Remover" might assist here. Softens and removes sticky residues (from tape, labels), also chewing gum and perished rubber.

However, the apply baby powder before affixing makes sense. Or why not put a strip of silk or similar fabric between rings and OTA.

Thanks for the suggestions. As mine is fine at the moment, I think I’ll leave it. If I ever get any issues I’ll probably install felt on the rings. 

More gratuitous pics you say? 🤣

D4489865-2149-433D-9337-BC6A708652B2.jpeg

451C5464-D52B-49D9-8539-106294473B1F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know my 140's rings are ok : i have to rotate them about 20º degrees to fit the scope back in the case.

I could remove the handle of course, but after a session in the cold, i usually don't (read frozen hands). Its a good job the focuser rotates as well.

Its a bit of a wrestling match  and given the cost of the scope, i think the case leaves a bit to be desired. In fact, its rubbish.

On 05/03/2020 at 08:36, GavStar said:

Thanks for the suggestions. As mine is fine at the moment, I think I’ll leave it. If I ever get any issues I’ll probably install felt on the rings. 

More gratuitous pics you say? 🤣

D4489865-2149-433D-9337-BC6A708652B2.jpeg

451C5464-D52B-49D9-8539-106294473B1F.jpeg

Awesome scopes, thanks for sharing..can I ask what the ring at the focuser end of the Tec is for please?

15 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Awesome scopes, thanks for sharing..can I ask what the ring at the focuser end of the Tec is for please?

It’s just a carry handle so you can use two hands. I have to say I don’t use it since the scope is surprisingly light to handle but I think the captain’s wheel looks 😎 

• Thanks 1