NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

11 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Yes, we have met a few times with PADAS Astro and elsewhere at different astro events.

You say you are staying at the Galloway Astronomy Center, apologies if I have it wrong, but I thought it burnt down some months ago. Can’t remember if it was on this thread or another.

It was the Scottish dark sky observatory Ian. See here 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-57579980.amp

14 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Yes, we have met a few times with PADAS Astro and elsewhere at different astro events.

You say you are staying at the Galloway Astronomy Center, apologies if I have it wrong, but I thought it burnt down some months ago. Can’t remember if it was on this thread or another.

I can confirm it hasn't to add to the other comments, I spoke with Mike this morning and brought my arrival date forward to Wednesday :thumbsup: #mostpromisingnight

• Like 2

Well guys that's us arrived and partly set up, field looks really good and no flooding or water logged, walking around with soft shoes on and not wet, sun's out but part cloud as well, as usual  this place has its own little micro climate. Hopefully get polar aligned tonite and who knows after that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Well guys that's us arrived and partly set up, field looks really good and no flooding or water logged, walking around with soft shoes on and not wet, sun's out but part cloud as well, as usual  this place has its own little micro climate. Hopefully get polar aligned tonite and who knows after that. 

See you Wednesday - watch out for Aurora tonight, Saturday. If clear there is a good chance :)

• Like 1

Hi David clear as a bell just now got polar alignment done and scope on, just doing visual tonite as there are still general campers on site and white lite. If rest of the week like this we will be doing well, safe trip down m8 see you guys soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully I'll arrive around midday on Tuesday.

Here was the skies in Selside in the dales last night for a brief period 

20211030205432_9Y2A2163.thumb.JPG.7f2dcfbc2595e42663dbeeb960650776.JPG

1961237965_20211030205503_9Y2A2164(2).thumb.JPG.f8356553a832eef5c9bb8e6c6a43ef9b.JPG

Really strong wind up here today so guess it will be more so up there. Tried walking Ingleborough on Friday. The wind and rain closed in on us at the last Mile so we abandoned it. 

Take care and see everyone soon 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Physopto said:

Hi guys, still hoping to get there on Monday. Jim, hope you get some clear skies. I am a we bit jealous to say the least.

hi derek, last nite was good clear skies, clouded over at times but on the whole not bad, turned to rain later and tad windy, sporadic wet weather today but that was forcast, all on our own just now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamie56 said:

hi derek, last nite was good clear skies, clouded over at times but on the whole not bad, turned to rain later and tad windy, sporadic wet weather today but that was forcast, all on our own just now 

Yes all being well see you tomorrow afternoon.

Absolutely hammered down this morning. We were lucky we did not come up on Saturday as we had a really bad leak from our front bedroom window.

Carpet soaked as it was.

Needed flushing out of the drain window  holes.  Would have returned home to a disaster!!!

• Sad 2

Just arrived on site just in time to experience, at close hand ,heavy scottish rain shower- However the static is warm and toasty - just looked at the forecast and tuesday and wednesday seem to be the clearest evenings so fingers crossed

Paul

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jacobingonzo said:

Just arrived on site just in time to experience, at close hand ,heavy scottish rain shower- However the static is warm and toasty - just looked at the forecast and tuesday and wednesday seem to be the clearest evenings so fingers crossed

Paul

Watch out for the midges, they appear just after the rains stops!🦟

I've arrived as well so that's three groups on site so far.

I set off in the dark at 4am this morning and had the clearest roads I've ever seen so luckily no traffic congestion on route. Including stops it took 8.5hrs but I mostly pootle along at about 65mph.

It rained the whole way until Castle Douglas and then glorious blue skies and sunshine appeared which lasted just long enough to pitch the tent in the dry. Its pretty much rained ever since so was very fortunate 🤘

I missed not seeing you on arrival Mike. It will be a shame not to have your company and a hot cooked dinner around the table. Plus the two hours of washing up afterwards 🤣 

Hope to see you at the next one 👍

• Like 1

Well folks had a good nite last nite, Stu and Jon got some good images as well, they a are away now, however two more happy campers have arriver,  unfortunately Mr Rain isn't letting up tonite so looks as if a few wee aperitifs are in order, very strange not to see Mike coming out to greet you on arrival, somehow it just doesn't fell the same, you'll be missed this year m8, no skin of yer teeth mount repairs by candle lite inthe wee small hours.😧😧😧. Safe trip all all attending , 

P's wind has all but one now as well, just a bit of rain

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Yes all being well see you tomorrow afternoon.

Absolutely hammered down this morning. We were lucky we did not come up on Saturday as we had a really bad leak from our front bedroom window.

Carpet soaked as it was.

Needed flushing out of the drain window  holes.  Would have returned home to a disaster!!!

Not funny Derek, glad you've got it under control, our fridge in the van went pear last nite ,got one ordered and being sent to leslay's, all ways something , on a liter note, got the gear outand had some stunning views last nite,  

popok

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Well folks had a good nite last nite, Stu and Jon got some good images as well, they a are away now, however two more happy campers have arriver,  unfortunately Mr Rain isn't letting up tonite so looks as if a few wee aperitifs are in order, very strange not to see Mike coming out to greet you on arrival, somehow it just doesn't fell the same, you'll be missed this year m8, no skin of yer teeth mount repairs by candle lite inthe wee small hours.😧😧😧. Safe trip all all attending , 

P's wind has all but one now as well, just a bit of rain

Was nice to meet you, hope you get your fridge fixed.

Stu had better luck than me, I wasted most of the clearer skies trying to figure out gain settings 😖  Shame Stu had to get back for work or we could have stayed a few more nights if the pitch was still available

Hopefully we'll get up for the next party and I'll be up to speed and starting to get some good images by then.

Have a good week.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Clear sunny morning here, clear skies last nite but clouded over later, did retire for the nite till q certain Dr brown came calling 😂

Weeah just don,, t know.  Call  yersel a star gazzer! 😁

Did you get any thing at all? Wednesday still look best, but got to take the chances when they.come.

Edited by Physopto