Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi everyone.

I have the pleasure of announcing the dates for :-

Scotland's Premier Star Camp during the Autumn of 2021  (November).

The Star Camp will be held at Drumroamin Camp Site as usual.

Between the Tuesday 2nd and Sunday the 7th November 2021.

I am now and in future basing the Star Camp dates centred around the New Moon.

This is to encompass the best chance for the darkest possible nights.

These dates still and will always contain a weekend so hopefully most can attend if at work during the week days.

(The New Moon is on Thursday the 4th November)

Moon Phases for November 2021  in Kirkinner, Newton Stewart DG8 9AW, UK.

Moon Phases for November 2021, Newton Stewart DG8 9AW, UK.

New Moon November 2021

Moon phase details for Thursday, November 4, 2021

• Moon Phase: New Moon - 21:15:26 ?

• Illumination: 0%

• Moon Age: 29.41 days

• Moon Angle: 0.54

• Moon Distance: 365,934.993 km

• Moonrise: 06:31:57

• Moonset: 16:35:33

• Sun Angle: 0.54

• Sun Distance: 148,316,809.724 km

• Sunrise: 07:26:19

• Golden Hour Ends: 08:21:58

• Sunset: 16:39:00

• Golden Hour Starts: 15:43:21

• Length of day: 09h 12m 41s

Again the important detail here is the time that the Moon sets and rises.

In this year November 2021 the moon sets in the evening and rises in the morning. This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them.

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!

Best wishes

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, AndyKeogh said:

Thank you Derek , Guess there are few stars showing this week so good for you to plan so far ahead 😉

Any  chance you can post past weather statistics for that week?

Andy

Do you mean this week Andy. If so rain, more rain and a good dose of wind and sleet, Oh forgot the hail!

It has just been one of those weeks. Hopefully it will improve for the next few camps. I think we have had enough bad luck for a while don't you?

Derek

1 minute ago, Physopto said:

Do you mean this week Andy. 

No Derek 😔 I meant the week in which past camps have been held in November.

Winds, tents flying about the place spring to mind  but there may also have been some stunning viewing as well.

Andy

😂

No Andy, sorry no data from those weeks. I spent a fair bit of time on the Met Office web site reading up what I could, but it is an awful site with lots of very outdated data. (1910 approx to the 1960s) 

The later stuff is hidden somewhere else. Of all the info I could find, it was related general areas, nothing specific to the Kirkinner  area. Then it was not day by day, just for a month.  Not much use really. To get any more specific data would require sending in a request and possibly paying! 

I just hunted all over the web for snippets related to this area. 

Derek

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, philthy said:

The site is always posted up as fully booked  during the Star Parties. This is done on purpose to stop non astronomers trying to book  pitches for tents or caravans.

All bookings are by email or telephone calls to Lesley at Drumroamin.

http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/

Thanks Phil,we were driving back then unloading etc.,

I believe the pitches are disappearing very quickly for this Star Camp 😃

Now (all, haha!), we need is for Covid and the weather to play ball.

Derek

Stripped down the front objection glasses and cleaned, all back together now and nice and crisp, took a couple of hours getting the crap off the glasses.

Edited by jamie56
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Stripped down the front objection glasses and cleaned, all back together now and nice and crisp, took a couple of hours getting the crap off the glasses.

Excellent news Jim. I hope it does not happen again. It looked dire. How easy was the strip down, cleaning with what and reassembly?

By the way you are in the wrong Star Camp posts 😂

Derek

Edited by Physopto

Come on man, I can't get everything rite 😂,  the strip down was fairly easy, made a wee tool to remove the lock ring, then marked orientation of first glass removed it removed sealing ring and spacers, the same for inner glass, used the usual camera cleaning solutions with lint free clothes etc,  slow old process but worth in the end. 

22 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Come on man, I can't get everything rite 😂,  the strip down was fairly easy, made a wee tool to remove the lock ring, then marked orientation of first glass removed it removed sealing ring and spacers, the same for inner glass, used the usual camera cleaning solutions with lint free clothes etc,  slow old process but worth in the end. 

Excellent news for you Jim, or should say for Dawn, as she would have had you wingeing for EVER aboot it. 🤣

Really though, good news 😃 I am glad it is sorted without spending a small fortune.

All the best,

Derek

I booked when leaving this years autumn event and I'm in from Tuesday 2nd to Tuesday the 9th.

If what they are saying about the current situation with the pandemic carrying on then I can see the pitch restrictions still being in force with limited numbers.

Looking forward to next years events 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I booked when leaving this years autumn event and I'm in from Tuesday 2nd to Tuesday the 9th.

If what they are saying about the current situation with the pandemic carrying on then I can see the pitch restrictions still being in force with limited numbers.

Looking forward to next years events 

My fingers, toes and everything else is crossed !!!!

Derek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

At present we do not know if we will be able to go back to the normal number of people attending the Star Camps or coming to this this event.

If we can there will be a good few more pitches available.

Please look here for all further  information on the upcoming 2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp for future posts and information.  As soon as I can, I will let everyone know once I am confident we are good to go!!!

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So guys n gals no camp this week, massive withdrawals, sitting out in the obsy with Dawn  a few wee tears in our eyes😩😩, looking through scope at clouds n rain, o the joys , hope this wee post finds you all safe and well, thinking of you all and the dark rainy skies we are missing😆😆, hopefully the November bash will be kind to us, stay safe troops and see you all in November. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Jim & Dawn, good to hear you are both keeping well. Did you have a few halfuns when in the obsey, to simulate being at Galloway 😜. I better make sure Leslie knows I am coming, I reckon she has her suspicions 😇.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Ian,

Great to hear you are still functioning.

I am feeling misplaced at present as my diary shows me at Kirkinner ...... but I am walking on the local common instead. Strange with the very strong winds we had during the night I really thought I was in my tent at Drumroamin.....

Looking forward to the November gathering.

Keep well

Adrian

• Haha 1