Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Turned in at 4am. Saw quite a few targets but the transparency wasn't quite there.

A few meteors but the highlight of the night was several aurora shows throughout the night. 

20211103224743_9Y2A2684.thumb.JPG.c4cf0b4e6759d279084692b7843562fd.JPG

20211103224938_9Y2A2688.thumb.JPG.8e6505ddd8ddb7037eb3879faaa42f3b.JPG

20211104022411_9Y2A3070.thumb.JPG.c0c6a131fb3d4e0780961ea2290c8bc2.JPG

20211104031907_9Y2A3152.thumb.JPG.c02886428d2daf38a0963f54032c39a2.JPG20211104022640_9Y2A3076.thumb.JPG.80176aa6d263aa996ff841d645d76ecc.JPG1436376558_20211103224743_9Y2A2684(1).thumb.JPG.f974dab32bd16bbf173eabaae4997fc5.JPG

20211103224801_9Y2A2685.thumb.JPG.bfe99fcd5b6fc25fea06f09106500b50.JPG

Last one was around 3am 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Just a short note for all.

I now have talked with Lesley the site owner and we have confirmed the dates for the Spring and Autumn 2023 Star Camps. The dates and relevant information will be posted up here on SGL in the next 2 weeks.

Although the weather last night was not too kind, this Star Camp has seen a good attendance and during previous two nights there was viewings/imaging taking place.

We also had an unexpected brilliant showing of the Aurora, on three separate occasions in one night.

The weather has now turned for the worse unfortunately, but the warm room still invites for  cracking social gatherings over the next couple of nights with of course with the usual refreshments and banter.🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃

Finally.

I must say Mike's absense has been duly noted by many with some dissmay🙁. His warm friendly/welcoming presence has been missed by everyone who knows him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Physopto said:

Finally.

I must say Mike's absense has been duly noted by many with some dissmay🙁. His warm friendly/welcoming presence has been missed by everyone who knows him.

Agreed Derek.

• Like 1

Hello all. I popped by earlier but there wasn't much activity so didn't hang around.

I knocked on @estwing's van thinking he might have stirred but wonder if he had too many sleeping pills  🍻 😅

anyway, glad you all enjoyed the aurora the previous night, it was just as spectacular for the GaC just down the road.

• Like 1

Well the weather has changed as predicted and cloud/wind and rain set in. So last night we managed to sink a few drams whilst chatting in the warm room. The night ended with a quiz which was quite entertaining.

This morning we awoke to blustery winds 25/50 mph and rain.

One of our members tents was in danger of blowing away. So I parked my car in front to try  to mitigate the worst of the wind.

I will put a strong note on the other Galloway Star Party  threads to try and warn attendees that only strong tents (not flimsy summer types)  should be brought and erected here due to the open nature of the camp site. You also will need a mallet and heavy steel rock type pegs.

No one wants to see anyone lose their tent or belongings/astro gear due to not being properly prepared.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

Nice to meet you guys at last.  Great Aurora images - well done!  I just saw the tail end of the first show, and somehow managed to miss all the others although I was imaging until 5.30 am!  When I was out I had my back to the North, but spent much of the time using Teamviewer to keep a remote eye on the imaging run from the warmth of my caravan.  Well, you can't win 'em all!  Just as well I left on Friday afternoon - it would seem that the weather deteriorated considerably on Saturday with the high winds Derek mentions above - I wouldn't have been at all happy towing my little 'van in those conditions!

Roll on next March 😀

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 4

Well as this Autumn Scottish Galloway Star Camp comes to an end, after a few days of windy and somewhat wet weather,

the sun is making an attempt to poke through the clouds at last. The wind is dropping off and we are packing up to leave.

I want to thank all those who have attended and hopefully enjoyed another good, if not spectacular at times, Star Camp.

Unfortunately once again there have been a few " No Shows", and this without any warning has caused a few furrowed brows as revenue is lost.

It prevents others from attending and fulfilling their dreams.

It costs very little to use the telephone and at least inform our hosts of not being able to attend.

This is not the first time and it has now happened so frequently that :

Lesley has decided that from now on there will be an up front £25 deposit payable for your pitch to be reserved.

Anyone who reserves a pitch can cancel up to 30 days before the start of the reservation.

After that the deposit is non refundable.

Finally.

I wish to pass on my unreserved thanks to Lesley and Ralph our hosts, for making the Scottish Star Camps possible.

Without their support and efforts in closing the site to the general public this would not have been possible.

My best wishes to all for the festive season and looking forwards to the Spring Star camp.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Back home now, with the car unpacked - phew!

Yet again an excellent Galloway Star Party. Really good to meet with new and old attendees.

It was tinged with a hint of sadness that Mike was not in attendance.

Thanks again to Leslie, Ralph and Derek for making it possible.

• Like 4

4 hour journey home was uneventful and easy. Unpacked half the car and relaxing now. 

Many thanks to all those that attended and to Derek, Lesley and Ralph for the great site and organisation we all get to appreciate. 

Mike's humour and warm welcome was sadly missed. I did think Derek's kettle was broken 😜

It has been a very enjoyable camp again and the laughs have been a welcome distraction to the normal hum drum.  Looking forward to the next. 

• Like 6

Please Read below carefully and note this is no fun for me to have to post this.

This affects everyone wishing to attend future Scottish Star Party Events

Unfortunately during the Scottish Autumn Star Camp 2021, once again there have been a few " No Shows"

Thoughtless actions such as this with no warning has caused a few furrowed brows as our hosts have lost revenue.

These "No Warning and No Shows" prevent the pitches being realocated in time to those waiting on the "Standby List".

It costs very little to use the telephone and at least inform our hosts when not being able to attend the Star Camp, for any reason.

This is not the first time and it has now happened so frequently over the last few years that :

The owners Lesle yand Ralph, have decided that from now on there will be an up front £25 deposit payable for your pitch to be reserved.

Anyone who reserves a pitch, can cancel up to 30 days before the start of the reservation.

Cancellation within 30 days of the start of the Star Party the deposit is non refundable.

This decission has not been taken lightly and is unfortunately a last resort measure,

short of completely stopping all future Star Party events with exclusive access to SGL members.

So please think of others, if you cannot attend for any reason telephone or email Lesley to let her know as soon as possible.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now that I have a minute to myself. Galloway star camp. Wow had a fantastic time.cant wait till next autumn lol. Was great meeting new people again and seeing the people I met last year. Damien.  Ian . Kelvin.  Derek.  From sgl. And a special ty to damien for the wee session with his 20" dobsonian enjoyed ever minute.  Cant wait to see u all again autumn 22.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, James111 said:

Now that I have a minute to myself. Galloway star camp. Wow had a fantastic time.cant wait till next autumn lol. Was great meeting new people again and seeing the people I met last year. Damien.  Ian . Kelvin.  Derek.  From sgl. And a special ty to damien for the wee session with his 20" dobsonian enjoyed ever minute.  Cant wait to see u all again autumn 22.

Hi Jim,

Glad you enjoyed the event, I would expect nothing less. It was good to meet you and Denise again. Hope your head and liver survived - or should that be Denise’s 🙃

Do consider a different scope rather than a reducer for your current one.

I think you said you would not be able to make the Spring meet, so look forward to seeing you at the Autumn ‘22 event👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James111 said:

Cheers James it was a pleasure giving a tour of the dark galloway skies,  although I'm shocked that I've lost 2" off my scope but for a 22" it looks the same size as a smaller scope 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Cheers James it was a pleasure giving a tour of the dark galloway skies,  although I'm shocked that I've lost 2" off my scope but for a 22" it looks the same size as a smaller scope 😉

The views through the 22" are amazing I have had the good fortune to see M51 through it it was fantastic. 

• Thanks 1