Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

1 hour ago, Mr Flibble said:

I've just booked sunday to sunday.

Can't wait. Looking forward to catching up with everyone and having a trip away from home for the first time since everything kicked off!

Simple reply is ................................................................................................................... Whiskey at the ready Dai

😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Latest update on our Premier Scottish Autumn Star Party 😀

A couple of days ago I spoke to Lesley the site owner.

We  are booked up almost full now.

Please note:

That although there are some spaces left for say: for Tuesday the 2nd and Wednesday the 3rd,

that if you want to book for those nights you will not be allowed to extend your stay over the next night the 4th, if the camp numbers were to be greater than 25 pitches.

Lesley is sticking to the 25 pitches number rigidly because of Covid-19 problems.

She is finding it extremely difficult to keep the ablutions block disinfected 4/5 times a day for-

"The Safety of All".

Lesley may take one or two more bookings for the Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday nights  but no more than that, and you must leave by the Friday, sorry but,     "rules is rules!".................(cracking english Eh!)

🤣No arguments, or I will set Mike on you! 🤣

You get the picture!

I hope to see all those booked in at this the "2021 Autumn  Scottish Star Party",

where we can renew old friendships and create some new ones!

Stay Safe.

All the best

Derek

Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th

Pitches Currently Booked

12 17 20 25 23 6

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Derek, may I suggest some editing is required. 

Please note:

That although there are some spaces left for say: for Tuesday the 2nd and Wednesday the 3rd,

that if you want to book for those nights you will not be allowed to extend your stay over the next night the 20th, if the camp numbers were to be greater than 25 pitches.

That's some jump from the 3rd to the 20th :)  and the text following the 20th is out of context.

Sadly I will not be there this year as Sandra is adamant that she will never camp again !!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AndyKeogh said:

Hi Derek, may I suggest some editing is required. 

Please note:

that if you want to book for those nights you will not be allowed to extend your stay over the next night the 20th, if the camp numbers were to be greater than 25 pitches.

That's some jump from the 3rd to the 20th :)  and the text following the 20th is out of context.

Sadly I will not be there this year as Sandra is adamant that she will never camp again !!

I'm gettin old you know!

Ta Andy.🤣

23 hours ago, AndyKeogh said:

Just read the last line here.

Sorry to hear that Sandra will not entertain camping again. You could have had the Static van but I gather it was taken almost immediately after the last Star Camp was over, if not even before that.  We are now reverting to a caravan again. We missed owning one and the freedom it gives. I do hope to see you both at a future Star Camp, just get your booking in early.

All the best to you both.

Edited by Physopto

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, a sad bit of news for us all.

This is an important announcement !!!!!

It will have an effect on all those who normally hire the Static Caravans for the future Star Camps from the beginning of next year.

David Miller posted this on FaceBook earlier today.

image.thumb.png.edf8957899e6aee5f099c98c0970fb89.png

This decision was made by the site owner mostly because of the Covid-19 problems relating to the onerous cleaning regime

necessarily imposed to be able to keep operating safely for Lesley, Ralph and the general public.

Unfortunately the work load has become too much for the owners to bear.

I have spoken at length with Lesley and she assures me that the camp site will continue to operate for the forseeable future.

But the change over/cleaning and replacing bedding etc.,  for the statics has become just to onerous and time consuming to continue with.

Apparently, when Lesley and Ralph made the decision,  someone heard that Lesley was thinking of selling the statics

and within a day or so they were inundated with offers to buy them.

Both statics were sold immediately.

This will have immediate effect on us from after the end of our Autumn 2021 Star Camp.

The statics will NOT be available for next years Star Camps and beyond!

Obviously a great shame for those wanting to attend without a tent or camper/caravan!

BUT-------- obviously,

you can still attend in any Tent, Camper or Touring Caravan in the future.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hope to see all those booked in for our Autumn Star Camp there in November.

BUT, please remember the Galloway Star Camps will continue in the future, with your support.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hi Derek, just a small correction, it was Lesley who posted this on Facebook, I just took a screenshot of what she posted.

Hopefully this wont have too much of an impact on the camp.

Kind Regards

David

A devastating fire has ripped through Ayrshire's Dark Sky Observatory in the early hours of this morning.

Detectives are now appealing for information following the blaze at the popular tourist attraction in Dalmellington, which is being treated as suspicious.

Emergency services were scrambled to the scene shortly before 1am with four fire crews in attendance.

They found the building ablaze and extensively damaged.

A joint investigation between police and fire chiefs is now underway to establish the exact cause of the fire.

They say the circumstances are being treated as suspicious at this time.

Detective Constable Steven Grey from Kilmarnock CID said: “The observatory is run by a charity organisation and the financial impact and damage caused is extremely significant.

“It is vital we establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened and I am appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

The charred remains of the observatory

The charred remains of the observatory (Image: Ayrshire Post)

David Miller just informed me about this......

Words Fail me!

• Sad 8

It is indeed sad that this has happened . I just hope they were well insured.

has anyone else noticed that the mounts and scopes are missing from each pillar.  Would the mounts melt completely in such a fire?

Really awful turn of events and if vandalised arson is a sickening comment on the state of our society.

As for the remains:-

Aluminium alloys melt around 650 C, steel around 1500 C.

Depends what the mounts were cast from, but the piers will be steel.

Looked to be a fierce fire so would have easily passed the 650 C mark I would say.

The mounts may have shattered in the heat, white hot metal shell and cold water from the fire hoses.

Pressure from fire hoses might also have washed off any remnants from the piers.

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Well now just under 2 months to go until the Galloway Autumn Star Camp.

I have talked to Lesley the site owner and there is not much to say really.

As it stands the Star Camp will be going ahead as planned.

The only real downside is we still cannot reinstate the Pie and Peas Night, SORRY FOLKS!

This is down to the current COVID-19 numbers still being so high, especially in  the Dumfries and Galloway area.

Things still need to settle down a heck of a lot before we can even contemplate reinstatement of our finer entertainments unfortunately.

Still the Star Camp is going ahead and so far without any of onerous rules as we had to obey on the previous camp!

We are still restricted to the 25 pitch limit, and the camp as I understand it is fully booked for this Autumn.

I mention this because several people have telephoned Lesley/Ralph

and appear to be attempting to skirt around the rules as posted here on the official Galloway Star Camp Notification Site.

Please don't do that, as you will just get the same replies as posted here and I get it in the ear from Lesley.

As promised I will let you all know of any changes as soon as I become aware of any.

Finally I hope all that those that have booked up are able to attend and I look forwards to seeing you all.

Clear Skies.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1