SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2021 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi, guys,

I may have met some of you at various events over past years, but anybody who knows me and gets a blank look, please forgive my dreadful memory -  the one remaining brain cell gets severely overloaded at times 🥴

However...  Never having attended this star party before, I need some advice on what to bring (apart from astro kit of course), and a certain amount of food goes without saying - pity the pie and pea supper isn't going to happen.  So that only leaves liquid refreshment.   I'm sure I have read something about a particular usually brown coloured spirit that seems to have universal approval.  Also perhaps the likewise brown coloured but less spiritual substance from which the previous item can be made.  Any advice, please.  Incidentally my local pub brews extremely good beer - look up Dipton Mill Inn, and bottles of their delightful product are available - perhaps some will find their way into my little caravan  😉

Looking forward very much to meeting everybody and embarrassing myself by forgetting your names!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
Added link to Dipton Mill Inn
  • Like 2

Pete, bring what you like. Even if it is terrible somebody will be able to help you out.

it’s that bloke Derren you need to watch out for - he’s brung some truly awful whisk(e)y

You will not go short of supplies. Plenty of shops and supermarkets within 10 - 15 mins.

look forward to meeting you👍

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Well my rum didn’t go down too well last year so I will be bringing whiskey this year! 😀👍…..seems strange taking a single malt TO Scotland though🤣

Not all we welcome any malt, single or a double 😆

• Haha 2

On 15/10/2021 at 15:38, petevasey said:

Hi, guys,

I may have met some of you at various events over past years, but anybody who knows me and gets a blank look, please forgive my dreadful memory -  the one remaining brain cell gets severely overloaded at times 🥴

However...  Never having attended this star party before, I need some advice on what to bring (apart from astro kit of course), and a certain amount of food goes without saying - pity the pie and pea supper isn't going to happen.  So that only leaves liquid refreshment.   I'm sure I have read something about a particular usually brown coloured spirit that seems to have universal approval.  Also perhaps the likewise brown coloured but less spiritual substance from which the previous item can be made.  Any advice, please.  Incidentally my local pub brews extremely good beer - look up Dipton Mill Inn, and bottles of their delightful product are available - perhaps some will find their way into my little caravan  😉

Looking forward very much to meeting everybody and embarrassing myself by forgetting your names!

Cheers,

Peter

Looking forward to meeting you also Peter, I'll be the guy with the laser tripping over guy ropes ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wackyscot said:

Looking forward to meeting you also Peter, I'll be the guy with the laser tripping over guy ropes ;)

Just a note of interest maybe for all. 

The Star Party starts on the 2nd Novemver OR " Dia de Muertos".

dia de muertos en mexico is the Day of the Dead 

Image result for Dia de Muertos en Mexico. Size: 97 x 110. Source: matadornetwork.com

See the source image

Well now David,       you look so well after your  laser treatment 😂

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Just a note of interest maybe for all. 

The Star Party starts on the 2nd Novemver OR " Dia de Muertos".

dia de muertos en mexico is the Day of the Dead 

Image result for Dia de Muertos en Mexico. Size: 97 x 110. Source: matadornetwork.com

See the source image

Well now David,       you look so well after your  laser treatment 😂

Cheers Derren - best I've looked in a while

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/10/2021 at 15:58, Adrian Condon said:

Hi David,

My best memories of you and the lads from Perth was parking the car in the tent, brilliant driving!!!!!

Trust you will have a safe trip.

All the very best 

Adrian

The things we do for a bet Adrian. I have a picture of that somewhere, need to search for it. I hope you are well.  Look after yourself and hope to exchange jokes over a drop of the gold stuff soon. :) Couldn't find the tent pic, but here are 3 good memories :)

Best wishes

David

43161185_10213171645666295_22292031317475328_n.jpg

43302758_10213179574904521_1877214898094604288_n.jpg

73472712_10215781604953646_8597776012576555008_n.jpg

Edited by wackyscot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its getting close now.

Two days left in work then pack the car on saturday ready for the journey sunday 😀

Batteries are charged and I'm trying decide which vital piece of equipment to leave behind..........

Sods law my brake calipers/pads on my car have chosen this moment to start sticking giving a lovely ear splitting metallic ringing noise. Just right for the 7 hour drive urgghhhhh!!

I'm hoping a garage in wigtown can sort them out before the return journey.

Wishing everyone a safe journey and fingers crossed for clear skies 🌌

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

Its getting close now.

Two days left in work then pack the car on saturday ready for the journey sunday 😀

Batteries are charged and I'm trying decide which vital piece of equipment to leave behind..........

Sods law my brake calipers/pads on my car have chosen this moment to start sticking giving a lovely ear splitting metallic ringing noise. Just right for the 7 hour drive urgghhhhh!!

I'm hoping a garage in wigtown can sort them out before the return journey.

Wishing everyone a safe journey and fingers crossed for clear skies 🌌

When are you staying until Dai? I will not arrive until We’d afternoon. I am sure last time you didn’t make it and the time before, you left before I arrived🙄

Better get my skates on - haven’t made Damian’s, and my, evening meals yet 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Hello all. I am stopping at Galloway astronomy centre, about 12 miles from you from 4-7 November, this has been booked for a longggggggg time.

So if you don't mind I shall endeavour to pop up and have a brew and a chat with you one afternoon all being well. Would be nice to meet some more of you face to face.

I have already met estwing and I think uplooker (Ian) didn't we once meet at dunsop bridge?

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 3

Hi all.

Was going to get there on Saturday, but caravan motor mover faulty.  Been fixed under warranty, but had to put off arrival until Monday. Hope to see all you early  peoples then. 😁

Make sure you bring good weather. 🎇 🌚  and 🥃

😂

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Uplooker said:

When are you staying until Dai? I will not arrive until We’d afternoon. I am sure last time you didn’t make it and the time before, you left before I arrived🙄

Better get my skates on - haven’t made Damian’s, and my, evening meals yet 😇

I'll be there until sunday this time so will be good to catch up with you 👍

Looks like you're timing your arrival well because the MET office have it forecast sunny wednesday and clear in the night!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Flibble said:

I'll be there until sunday this time so will be good to catch up with you 👍

Looks like you're timing your arrival well because the MET office have it forecast sunny wednesday and clear in the night!!

I noticed this earlier and may bring my own dates forward to take advantage of this.

The following 3 days do not look as promising, however this gives me more time to pay a visit to your camp site. 

10 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello all. I am stopping at Galloway astronomy centre, about 12 miles from you from 4-7 November, this has been booked for a longggggggg time.

So if you don't mind I shall endeavour to pop up and have a brew and a chat with you one afternoon all being well. Would be nice to meet some more of you face to face.

I have already met estwing and I think uplooker (Ian) didn't we once meet at dunsop bridge?

Yes, we have met a few times with PADAS Astro and elsewhere at different astro events.

You say you are staying at the Galloway Astronomy Center, apologies if I have it wrong, but I thought it burnt down some months ago. Can’t remember if it was on this thread or another.

10 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Yes, we have met a few times with PADAS Astro and elsewhere at different astro events.

You say you are staying at the Galloway Astronomy Center, apologies if I have it wrong, but I thought it burnt down some months ago. Can’t remember if it was on this thread or another.

I hope not Ian, I need to call them tomorrow anyway so will find out. There is nothing on the website to suggest as such.

Galloway Astronomy Centre

Maybe there is more than one such centre with similar names?

Assuming all is good, I hope to meet with you again sometime next week all being well.

steve