SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

European Astrofest 2020

robbymain

Hi All

I’m seeing my wife off to South Africa at Heathrow on the 30th so I thought I would make the most of a rare trip to London and attend my first astronomy exhibition!

Is anyone else going this year? I will most likely be there on Friday morning.

Are FLO planning to attend? I didn’t see their name on the list of confirmed exhibitors...

All the best,

Rob 

22 hours ago, rl said:

If you want tickets for the lectures then book now....they're always sold out on the day.

You can still get in to the exhibition. 

Thanks for the headsup @rl

I'm surprised there's not more gossip about this event considering it's less than 2 weeks away? Am I posting in the wrong forum lol

I’ll be going as usual.   Over the years there’s less for traditional observers and more for imagers within the exhibition part.

That’s not putting the event down at all, just letting folks know what to expect.  Having said that, as a low tech visual observer myself, it’s worth going.  I usually bump into old friends for a natter.

Perhaps see you there 👍 Ed.

• Like 2

Its a shame i am now on a weekend working pattern, because come the end of the month i will be in a position to purchase an ASI183mm, which i have been after, and one retailer is offering 10% off ZWO products !. that would have been a great saving of 93 quid.

John

Yes I am going on Saturday as well as Apophis, and Marmo who I am meeting up with and perhaps Lorenzo.   I always like the social side of going and meeting up with forum members.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

After a run of 15 consecutive visits, i'm giving it a miss this year.

I've been a bit disappointed the last 2 years ; there were hardly any vendors last year, and they hadn't got the lecture programme sorted in time.

To me, the show is not what it was.

But last years PAS made up for all that, it was excellent in every regard, as was the IAS in November.

I'll be there for that on March 21, no doubt.

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Yes I am going on Saturday as well as Apophis, and Marmo who I am meeting up with and perhaps Lorenzo.   I always like the social side of going and meeting up with forum members.

Carole 

Yes , i am hoping to pickup some new kit with a bit of show discount, i know 365astronomy are offering 10% off and Primalucelabs aswell..😎

Edited by apophisOAS
  • Like 1

Anyone parked in the town Hall car park?

I did a google maps and came up with nearly 5 hours by bus, train, and tube ot the thick end of 3 hours by car. I know most of the car journey up to the  M25, and could probably work out the rest, as I know the M4 / Cromwell Road / south Ken (Only too well *shudder*). I've just looked up the charges, £20 for 4 hours :eek:.

Seriously doubt if I'll be going at that rate.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 12:02, rwilkey said:

I have stopped going to this show, the ones I have been to were heaving and over two or three floors, no good for someone partially disabled like myself.

I can well understand your predicament RW. Far too much packed into too small a venue.
It's uncomfortable and exasperating for everyone who attend there.
A shame really, I stopped going awhile ago simply as a result of the difficulty in getting around easily, and managing to 
see all on display. I think many folks are opting for the Midlands Event now, because Kensington Town Hall 
is too cramped.
Having said that, I do hope those who do attend the London Event have a good time there.
It will help If you have a lot of patience though 😃.
Ron.

Hi Carole,

I am going both days, so I will see you on Saturday morning  if you are not too busy.

You're going to have to remind me who you are Adrian can;t remember what you look like (unless you're wearing a kilt lol).  I'll try to remember to bring my photo again, but it still shows my previous avatar, hopefully most of you will remember that. 

Can you guys wear your avatar and avatar name for recognition.

Carole 

I am going on Saturday , just for exhibition in order to get discount on a fair bit of kit.

Atik 460ex , a few Astrobin Filters , Motorised Focuser Plus?

Travelling from the south coast and a TravelCard costing £26.10 return, well pleased.

Roger

Edited by apophisOAS
  • Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 11:38, robbymain said:

Are FLO planning to attend? I didn’t see their name on the list of confirmed exhibitors...

Yes 🙂 

Grant, Rob & Ian King are on the Ikarus Imaging stall. 

Hope to see you there. 

• Like 2

75% of the UK night vision users (ie 3 of us) are meeting up on Saturday afternoon at astrofest. I’ll be getting some more adapters for my kit from Televue. There may be a night vision monocular to have a look at if anyone wants to see one.

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Obviously it won’t be powered up (unless we can find a suitably dark room!) (bit like expecting a solar telescope demo when it’s cloudy).

Peter

PS think the %is a bit high....

If there are other Uk nv astro users they are hiding well 🤣

Was my first AstroFest today, just did the Exhibition, which was more than enough to keep me happy for the day.
I spent the day with Ed @NGC 1502, and crossed paths with fellow members of CPAC during the day.
Lot's of nice kit, great show.

Got to chat with Rob from FLO and Dave and Derek Rose of Rowan Astronomy again and play with that wonderful mount.
Also looked at the new FLO scopes, which look rather nice indeed.
My first but not last Astrofest.
My good lady is relieved I have returned with just a few books.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1