Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

2 hours ago, Stu said:

All quite doable, just needs the correct bracket. I prefer the bar hanging down as it balances the off axis weight of heavy eyepieces and binoviewers fully.

ADM make one that will attach as in your picture to the dovetail.

4 minutes ago, moriniboy said:

My take on the ep balancing counterweight to overcome my issues, just a mock up and I will provide feedback.

Luckily the ADM saddle is 1" wide so lots of metal is available to attach to.

20220615_092308.jpg

If the bar has a 10 mm thread on it you can attach directly to the pan handle bracket.

7 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

If the bar has a 10 mm thread on it you can attach directly to the pan handle bracket.

Agreed, but that option is only available with a Rowan saddle, this is an ADM and the stainless bar I have ordered will be 12mm.

Ok so here is a working version, 1kg counterweight and bar (borrowed from my portable Altair AZ mount)

Works well but a 1.5kg weight would IMO be better, only time will tell

First photo with Nagler 26mm, second with 5mm BGO and TV bronze equaliser.

20220615_142020.jpg

20220615_142223.jpg

• Like 9

Very interesting topic indeed this balancing thing with the az100. 

for me it’s the biggest issue with that almost perfect mount. 

i also am having troubles finding the correct balance when changing ep or adding a Gpc on my bv. 

that alt lock doesn’t really lock anything, it’s acting more like a brake than a actual lock. I have to  crank it down together with the alt adj. to keep the scope steady and sometimes it’s not enough…

Balancing is done with a bino with pano 24 on a tsa120 

Especially when using a binoviewer a lot of weight is not on the axis of the scope. It is  very helpful then to do your initial  balance at 45deg and not horizontal.

I think you are right that the lock is still a friction  brake. For a big change of fittings I often park the scope vertical first. It is unlikely to move from that position. This is true of  most Alt Az  mounts and not particular to the AZ100. 

• Like 1

On the theme of off axis balancing, here is my own AZ100 adaption. The weight is 1kg with a 1/4"unc threaded hole which has a stud fitted. This can screw into a series of holes to suit along a simple aluminium strip. the strip fits under an M6 screw on the RHS endplate. That is enough range to balance the panning handle, usual eyepiece and finder up to heavy eyepieces or a binoviewer.

My panning handle bracket is fitted on the RHS as I prefer, and the counterweight flange fits over this using spacers. I used my own 20mm counterweight bar to suit my existing selection of weights. I only really need these for my Vixen VC200L, which is shown fully balanced with the clutches released. By the way I use a shorter Vixen clamp than the Rowan type as it lets me get scopes further forward

NB : No Rowan parts were damaged in the construction of this arrangement 🙂

20220620_140926.jpg

20220620_141009.jpg

20220620_161001.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK 🙂 , inspired by Stu and the photos above😉 we're working on balance weights and shafts for AZ100 and AZ75.

Weights will fit the pan handle for eyepiece weight / change and also a front mounted  bracket and shaft for balancing binoviewers etc. which should provide weight and angle of dangle suitable for most situations.

ATB

Derek.

Edited by Dek Rowan Astro
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

44 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

OK 🙂 , inspired by Stu and the photos above😉 we're working on balance weights and shafts for AZ100 and AZ75.

Weights will fit the pan handle for eyepiece weight / change and also a front mounted  bracket and shaft for balancing binoviewers etc. which should provide weight and angle of dangle suitable for most situations.

ATB

Derek.

Excellent news Derek 👍👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

ATB

Derek.

Any thoughts on a saddle interface or adjustable saddle that would allow the OTA to be raised or lowered? Lowering the OTA in the saddle would also accomplish Y axis balancing with heavy eyepieces. It’s how the Nova Hitch worked, you would put an average weight eyepiece into the diagonal then adjust the saddle height to perform a Y axis balance. The resultant balance point then held up pretty well throughout the whole range of my eyepiece weights. Not really for on the fly adjustments but more for an initial Y axis balance to get your system in range utilizing your own eyepiece as a starting point and it works really well on the Nova Hitch.

• Like 3

On 09/07/2022 at 17:25, swsantos said:

Any thoughts on a saddle interface or adjustable saddle that would allow the OTA to be raised or lowered? Lowering the OTA in the saddle would also accomplish Y axis balancing with heavy eyepieces. It’s how the Nova Hitch worked, you would put an average weight eyepiece into the diagonal then adjust the saddle height to perform a Y axis balance. The resultant balance point then held up pretty well throughout the whole range of my eyepiece weights. Not really for on the fly adjustments but more for an initial Y axis balance to get your system in range utilizing your own eyepiece as a starting point and it works really well on the Nova Hitch.

Hi Steve,

It's on the list and currently running in a subroutine in the back corner of my brain cell.

I'll be able to look at this in more detail when I've handed the motor kit over to production.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/07/2022 at 18:27, Dek Rowan Astro said:

ATB

Derek.

Beautiful !! Just as I was starting to figure something out for mine.

balancing is really critical on that mount, and I would say it’s a weak point. That and the lack of locking on the alt axis. Break is pretty strong but still only a break. But As someone said earlier, placing the instrument vertically (at zenith) helps maintaining balance while changing configuration. 

btw I saw the pictures of the certification on your fcbk page, release looks pretty close to me… :)

How do you see the production and the materials supply? Given how unstable is everything at the moment..

16 hours ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hi Steve,

It's on the list and currently running in a subroutine in the back corner of my brain cell.

I'll be able to look at this in more detail when I've handed the motor kit over to production.

ATB

Derek.

Here is a picture of the back of a Nova Hitch saddle showing the up / down adjustment paths and tightening bolts in case you need further inspiration! There are two on each end of the saddle for a total of four. Mine is adjusted low to accommodate the above-the-plane Ethos weight of my usual setup.538215357_NovaHitchtwoaxisbalancing.jpg.86f7b5f7198a8e06aa405ccf52ba8721.jpg

• Like 1

I was not happy with the aesthetics of my original solution so now the new stainless weight and bar have arrived l have  connected it direct to the ADM saddle. The bar is also longer so the 1kg weight should suffice.

20220715_091042.jpg

20220715_091119.jpg

Edited by moriniboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evenin all. Just seen a Facebook update from the guys at Rowan. 
They confirm all the testing of the tracking system has now been passed. 
Website soon to have pre order details. My c card has already done a runner on me ??!! 🤣🤣££££££.  🤔🤔👀👀

John 

• Like 6

I see that a number of people using Berlbach tripods. However, I’m wonder if anyone is using Oberwerk tripods? They are sturdy wooden tripods, attractive and a very good value - but perhaps a bit less substantial than some of the Berlbach models. I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’s used an Oberwerk with an AZ100.  — Russ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 14:47, moriniboy said:

Thinking of getting a Rowan AZ100 Saddle Altitude Adjuster, just how essential is it when mounting two scopes, I would hope the AZ100 would not be that far out knowing Rowan's attention to detail.

Also as scopes vary there is a good chance that it would be adjusted every time, how easy is it to adjust?

Thanks

I can tell you that I mounted my APM 152  on centre of target, with the Vixen on the other side, on my Az100 and the Vixen image was about 30%  distance between  centre and edge of FOV. 

I had also done this some months ago with my Vixen and the f15 5" .

Edited by Saganite

On 16/08/2022 at 09:46, Saganite said:

I can tell you that I mounted my APM 152  on centre of target, with the Vixen on the other side, on my Az100 and the Vixen image was about 30%  distance between  centre and edge of FOV. 

I had also done this some months ago with my Vixen and the f15 5" .

Hi @Saganite - that is interesting for me - can i ask a natural follow up question? Do you recall what kind of FOV you were you using in the second scope? i.e. was it 15% of a lot or a little 🙂

Hi @Saganite - could i ask another question of your experience with the AZ100? i notice from you signature and your f14 scope refurb and restoration posting on this site that you have one relatively long and quite heavy refractor (~10kg/>1000mm) and another very very long refractor. Do you find the AZ100 to be comfortably "up to it" for these scopes? I'm considering a heavy and reasonably long  >10kg/~1m 'frac myself to mount alongside my cassegrain on my AZ100 and i think the mount will be fine (on paper its inside its capability) but i would be in a mess if i found out too late that it wasn't... i'd be interested in your experience.

Cheers 

Joe