SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

46 minutes ago, johninderby said:

My mount just came in bubble wrap. 😢

😥 indeed.

Now I have to find something in which to store and transport mine. Did I mention I got an AZ100 week before last? 😀

• Like 2

Rowan 200mm extenstion arrived for evaluation. 🙂

About 1.2lg lighter than the SW equivelent at only 1:7kg. As would be expected  of Rowan beautifully made. 👍🏻 

Bottom has a steel insert for the centre bolt in the mount. Top is simply bolted onto the mount with an M12 bolt and washers. There is recess in the top for the mount of course. When fitting the mount to the extention you can either insert bolts into the sides as done with the SW extenstion  or fit the bolts first into the top extension plate and then drop it onto the top of the extenstion and twist and then tighten the bolts. Will make it a lot quicker and convienient for carrying the mount seperately.

812F30F3-1F10-4AE3-BEF8-B320B4FAFB2A.jpeg

51D7E250-B4FE-416D-8095-C5D52F966BE0.jpeg

00B32846-7E12-49B2-BEE6-F4E1D14E502D.jpeg

4C0F8FD4-D121-43C0-87CA-9F6B84B5CB23.jpeg

D3839FF4-BDEA-4F38-971D-4699A2007E24.jpeg

• Like 4

Not sure if I would need the long extenstion but with the 125 APO it will need it if the focuser is racked right out. With the quick change top could swap between extenstions very conveniently.

Maybe Derek ccould let you try the short extenstion.? 🙂

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not sure if I would need the long extenstion but with the 125 APO it will need it if the focuser is racked right out. With the quick change top could swap between extenstions very conveniently.

Maybe Derek ccould let you try the short extenstion.? 🙂

I think the LZOS would be more comfortable with the short extension.

25 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

@johninderby Can the bottom of the pillar take an M10 bolt as originally described?

No it’s an M12 same as the mount. It looks like the threaded insert in the bottom of the pillar may be removable so maybe Rowan will be able to supply an M10 replaement? 🤔 

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Rowan 200mm extenstion arrived for evaluation. 🙂

About 1.2lg lighter than the SW equivelent at only 1:7kg. As would be expected  of Rowan beautifully made. 👍🏻 

Bottom has a steel insert for the centre bolt in the mount. Top is simply bolted onto the mount with an M12 bolt and washers. There is recess in the top for the mount of course. When fitting the mount to the extention you can either insert bolts into the sides as done with the SW extenstion  or fit the bolts first into the top extension plate and then drop it onto the top of the extenstion and twist and then tighten the bolts. Will make it a lot quicker and convienient for carrying the mount seperately.

Appears to be a thoughtfully implemented  Losmandy-derived (inspired?) design.., 

Any developments / changes to suggested height options? 

bsdsgl84

The ones I saw at the Practical Astronomy Show, were certainly superbly engineered and very well finished.
Makes the mount look far more cherished that a bit of old drain pipe ever will.

I will be interested on your feedback John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lifeonmars said:

I presume it will fit on a EQ6 tripod hub, not just the Rowan tripod hub?

Thanks for the pics John

The base has a flat bottom with some removable  screws and loads of mounting holes to fasten it down to various things. Don”t know what all the holes fit what but perhaps Derek will explain. 

Note the threaded insert in the base seems removable so perhaps for fitting different mounts with a new insert.

Will fit an EQ6 of course.

742F3E1E-C080-4FF4-94DD-100A1659CAE1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bsdsgl84 said:

Appears to be a thoughtfully implemented  Losmandy-derived (inspired?) design.., 

Any developments / changes to suggested height options? 

bsdsgl84

Think there will be a 125mm version.

Edited by johninderby

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

No it’s an M12 same as the mount. It looks like the threaded insert in the bottom of the pillar may be removable so maybe Rowan will be able to supply an M10 replaement? 🤔 

There are M12 , M10 and 3/8" UNC inserts which can be changed depending on the tripod used.

• Thanks 2