Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes, you are just confirming what I said.

That system looks like a good solution; I should have clarified that I was stating that a mount that has the scope in line with the axis can’t stay put with clutches fully released. With an offset mechanism it clearly can.

I figured it was restating what had already been said, but I found this picture from one of the old manuals and I wanted to put it up here for that clarification because it illustrates Y axis balancing very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, swsantos said:

I had read somewhere they were discussing 6" and 8" versions but perhaps not.

I had a 6" one made to accommodate a Televue NP127. 4" would have not been enough and 8" is too much for that scope.

My logic was that 4” and 8” gives you 4, 8, 12 and 16” easily. Not so much difference between 6” and 8” really, but I’m sure the guys will confirm soon.

2 hours ago, swsantos said:

I had read somewhere they were discussing 6" and 8" versions but perhaps not.

I had a 6" one made to accommodate a Televue NP127. 4" would have not been enough and 8" is too much for that scope.

+1 for 6" - for the same reasons as above as far as my TMB-Design LZOS 152 f/8 is concerned. 

I'm also curious about the changes in weight(s) x height(s) x payload(s) effects on moment arm dynamics as well., 

bsdsgl84 

15 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Just got back from  a dark site trip. It would of been great if I could of transported the AZ100 and tripod in one bag. Or at very least a soft  bag for the AZ100 with dual saddles and a nexus attached.

Any suggestions?

Would the Geoptik EQ6 case be any good? It’s designed to take the packing out of the EQ6 box but you could maybe cut some block foam to size?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-pack-in-bag-for-skywatcher-eq6-r-pro-mount.html

• Like 1

On 22/02/2022 at 17:23, JeremyS said:

What are the heights, Alan (I don’t do FB)?

No photo description available.

125mm and 200mm is what is posted Jeremy, also have copied and pasted an image as well.
looks to be a work well in progress by the machine work done, must be all CNC as that is what Rowan does.
Looking as well engineered as everything they make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the riser looks nice and could be a nice addition indeed. Hope price will be friendly 😉

do you have any issues with the slo mo cables? and the slo mo in general?

- alt axis doesn’t stay in place when turned using the flexible. it keeps moving the axis a few degrees when I let it go.  seems like the flexible is maybe too « flexible » or not enough. Using the shorter az flexible works much better even if I have some issues as well.

- I have some stuttering on both axis sometimes when the adjusters are set to the 0 position (almost tight). When I fully tight both, the stutter is gone but I get a small dead zone where I turn the slo mo wheel but I get no movement. Could it be balancing issue?

thx

1 hour ago, Speedmaster said:

the riser looks nice and could be a nice addition indeed. Hope price will be friendly 😉

do you have any issues with the slo mo cables? and the slo mo in general?

- alt axis doesn’t stay in place when turned using the flexible. it keeps moving the axis a few degrees when I let it go.  seems like the flexible is maybe too « flexible » or not enough. Using the shorter az flexible works much better even if I have some issues as well.

- I have some stuttering on both axis sometimes when the adjusters are set to the 0 position (almost tight). When I fully tight both, the stutter is gone but I get a small dead zone where I turn the slo mo wheel but I get no movement. Could it be balancing issue?

thx

I  think your alt problem is play between worm and wheel,it just needs adjusting out as per instructions supplied with mount.I have the same problem developing but will adjust it out shortly

The stuttering  is due to imbalance but can be damped out with the damping knobs,if I remember correctly the instructions  don't explain the function of the damping knobs but I worked it out by trail and error.

Its a great mount and I really enjoy using it  especially with nexus dsc it works really well.

Hope this helps

Ce

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2022 at 15:54, lifeonmars said:

I  think your alt problem is play between worm and wheel,it just needs adjusting out as per instructions supplied with mount.I have the same problem developing but will adjust it out shortly

The stuttering  is due to imbalance but can be damped out with the damping knobs,if I remember correctly the instructions  don't explain the function of the damping knobs but I worked it out by trail and error.

Its a great mount and I really enjoy using it  especially with nexus dsc it works really well.

Hope this helps

Ce

Thanks for your reply. Well I really have the impression that the problem is within the flexible because when I change it and put the small one, problem is gone or at least much less noticeable. using the black wheel there is no « loose movement » on the alt axis. 

regarding stuttering I can solve this with the damping knobs, as you said, but then I get this dead zone on the wheel movement. wondering if it’s normal on alt az mounts with micro adj as my skytee 2 does have the same issue, even if much more noticeable . Thought the az100 would have been free of that kind of issue. 

Stuttering occurs when the scope isn’t properly balanced or the clutches set correctly.

You don’t want the clutches set too tight. You should be able to move the scope by hand or with the slo-mo cables when clutches are set correctly.

You can also adjust the worm mesh if need be.

Note that the damiping adjusters only adjust the friction of the slo-mo control cables and not the mount itself.

AB80770B-7549-4855-B3D6-E9DA4149B160.jpeg

1A0A646C-A540-4E79-B3B8-1463DD409DA7.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Note that the damiping adjusters only adjust the friction of the slo-mo control cables and not the mount itself.

AB80770B-7549-4855-B3D6-E9DA4149B160.jpeg

Have you had need to adjust the damping adjusters, John? Can’t say I have. 

23 hours ago, Speedmaster said:

I get this dead zone on the wheel movement.

Definitely implies that the worm boxes need adjusting. Worth doing slowly with care on both axes until they have no backlash, but still turn freely - then you probably will never need to touch them again..ever ? 🙂

On 09/03/2022 at 19:04, Speedmaster said:

regarding stuttering I can solve this with the damping knobs, as you said, but then I get this dead zone on the wheel movement. wondering if it’s normal on alt az mounts with micro adj as my skytee 2 does have the same issue, even if much more noticeable . Thought the az100 would have been free of that kind of issue. 

Hello Speedmaster,

This is almost certainly due to the worm backlash setting and can easily be adjusted. Damping knobs also provide control of  juddering if present. Good front to back balance also helps.

How much of a 'dead zone' do you have?

I usually set the mesh to have minimum backlash,  (about '1/2 of a notch'  rotation on the slo-motion knob) as this provides the best combination of smoothness and minimal backlash.

ATB

Derek.

• Thanks 2