Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

57 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The base has a flat bottom with some removable  screws and loads of mounting holes to fasten it down to various things. Don”t know what all the holes fit what but perhaps Derek will explain. 

Note the threaded insert in the base seems removable so perhaps for fitting different mounts with a new insert.

Will fit an EQ6 of course.

742F3E1E-C080-4FF4-94DD-100A1659CAE1.jpeg

The 4x smaller holes are just for jigging / work holding and will likely disappear on the next batch.

The larger hols are actually just recesses to help in machining the  8 x M6 tapped holes.

The main purpose of the tapped hols is to fit 4 x location bolts. These provide a pseudo 65mm dia  location stub as per the base of the AZ100, but the screws can be removed if mounting the extension on a  fixed pier or tripod that doesn't have the 'usual ' recess.

The alternate set of 4 M6 hols provide a slightly smaller (cant remember the dia at the mo)  for tripods with a smaller recess.

ATB

Derek.

15 hours ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

The 4x smaller holes are just for jigging / work holding and will likely disappear on the next batch.

The larger hols are actually just recesses to help in machining the  8 x M6 tapped holes.

The main purpose of the tapped hols is to fit 4 x location bolts. These provide a pseudo 65mm dia  location stub as per the base of the AZ100, but the screws can be removed if mounting the extension on a  fixed pier or tripod that doesn't have the 'usual ' recess.

The alternate set of 4 M6 hols provide a slightly smaller (cant remember the dia at the mo)  for tripods with a smaller recess.

ATB

Derek.

Could holes be tapped out to be compatable with a Avalon T-Pod. I know the M12 bolt is the current preferred way, but I suspect using some tapped holes will result in a more solid fit.

Thanks,

Martin  

9 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Could holes be tapped out to be compatable with a Avalon T-Pod. I know the M12 bolt is the current preferred way, but I suspect using some tapped holes will result in a more solid fit.

Thanks,

Martin  

I'll look into that.

The T-Pod has tapped holes on the top surface of the tripod head, so some matching clearance holes in the bottom plate of the extension would allow that to be fitted to the T-Pod and then the tube bolted to that.

ATB

Derek

On 25/03/2022 at 20:14, Dek Rowan Astro said:

I'll look into that.

The T-Pod has tapped holes on the top surface of the tripod head, so some matching clearance holes in the bottom plate of the extension would allow that to be fitted to the T-Pod and then the tube bolted to that.

ATB

Derek

t-pod_mount.thumb.png.c4d341049e0822fe893ecd6d03b9705f.png

Not sure if this high enough precision but Avalon do publish the mount specification.

Thanks,

Martin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In case it's helpful for anyone this is a pic of RAM mount parts used to mount an iPad on the AZ100 (it was mentioned on the AZ75 thread but without pics of the outcome). if and when i dual mount scopes it will need rethinking. CheersIMG_2751.thumb.jpeg.b0201968f7dfe7b802822051836c41f1.jpeg

• Like 1

The pan handle bracket, does anyone know if the size of the handle is it M8 in size? 

Measuring with a tape measure it comes out as 14 mm, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks

Edited by Deadlake

12 hours ago, moriniboy said:

Evening, considering getting the AZ100 with encoders and using the Nexus from my dob, will they work together?

Rowan use the Nexus DSC and Nexus II so i'm hoping it will.

Thanks.

20220527_210930.jpg

Yes, I have used a Nexus with both AZ75 and AZ100 and it works very well. 👍👍. They do a handy plate to secure it to the mount.

9F646A1D-3E28-47DF-B764-081F35132DF9.thumb.jpeg.1a0abea5bb4d559d22c239600ccd8907.jpeg

• Like 3

Thinking of getting a Rowan AZ100 Saddle Altitude Adjuster, just how essential is it when mounting two scopes, I would hope the AZ100 would not be that far out knowing Rowan's attention to detail.

Also as scopes vary there is a good chance that it would be adjusted every time, how easy is it to adjust?

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moriniboy said:

Thinking of getting a Rowan AZ100 Saddle Altitude Adjuster, just how essential is it when mounting two scopes, I would hope the AZ100 would not be that far out knowing Rowan's attention to detail.

Also as scopes vary there is a good chance that it would be adjusted every time, how easy is it to adjust?

Thanks

How many scopes are you planning mount?

If it's the same pair then it's just set it up once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moriniboy said:

Thanks

Pretty essential IMO. Alignment of two scopes is not only reliant on the Rowan mount’s tolerances, it’s also dependent on alignment of the two saddles (in altitude), alignment of scope rings to dovetail, alignment of scope in rings. You will absolutely need the Saddle Adjuster - not only for altitude adjustment, but also for azimuth adjustment. You will also need to mess with the alignment with each different  pair of scopes, unless all of your scopes are perfectly parallel with each other to start off with. It takes me roughly 5 minutes to adjust it, but I wouldn’t want to do it often.

Edited by Cometeer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

How many scopes are you planning mount?

If it's the same pair then it's just set it up once.

Err at the last count 12 refractors from a TV60 to an APM 152.
Main reason would be for solar i.e. TAL PST on one side and a 102mm with wedge on the other.

Hi. Everyone has a berlebach with the az100 , I also do, but what about an Avalon tpod ?

looks wonderful and it’s very light compared to the German one. Apparently it’s as rigid and sturdy. 

who has tried one with the Rowan ?

3 hours ago, Speedmaster said:

Hi. Everyone has a berlebach with the az100 , I also do, but what about an Avalon tpod ?

looks wonderful and it’s very light compared to the German one. Apparently it’s as rigid and sturdy. 

who has tried one with the Rowan ?

Avalon TPOD 130 here and it works great with the AZ100. I had a riser made for it by ADM so that my refractor won't hit the top of the tripod and I also had a shorter panhandle made for me by Rowan for the same reason.

I had a Berlebach in the past, a Uni 18 or 24 single leg lock version, but I like the Avalon much better I prefer the more solid non-creakyness of metal, I like the double leg locks that lock down on metal, and I feel its easier to carry. I never wanted to undertake the installation of a second set of leg locks on the Berlebach and was never comfortable about tightening them against wood anyway although that's probably just irrational paranoia on my part.

9CF738AA-D2F9-42F5-A226-0185823B7924.jpeg

Edited by swsantos

On 07/06/2022 at 16:59, swsantos said:

Avalon TPOD 130 here and it works great with the AZ100. I had a riser made for it by ADM so that my refractor won't hit the top of the tripod and I also had a shorter panhandle made for me by Rowan for the same reason.

I had a Berlebach in the past, a Uni 18 or 24 single leg lock version, but I like the Avalon much better I prefer the more solid non-creakyness of metal, I like the double leg locks that lock down on metal, and I feel its easier to carry. I never wanted to undertake the installation of a second set of leg locks on the Berlebach and was never comfortable about tightening them against wood anyway although that's probably just irrational paranoia on my part.

9CF738AA-D2F9-42F5-A226-0185823B7924.jpeg

Thanks for your input santos. The 110 was not high enough?

I’m wondering , It looks like the rubber feet are screwed to the tripod. What’s the thread?

thanks 

11 minutes ago, Speedmaster said:

Thanks for your input santos. The 110 was not high enough?

I’m wondering , It looks like the rubber feet are screwed to the tripod. What’s the thread?

thanks 

I have the T-Pod 110. I think it's high enough, however for more clearance you could get a Rowan half-pillar that you would also need with the BB as well.

I'm hoping that @Dek Rowan Astro will drill out the base of the half-pillar for it to connect to the top plate of the T-Pod directly, this will make for a really solid connection.