Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

1 hour ago, fireballxl5 said:

Yes that seems to be the case.  My point was to confirm that this is what I found having read previously on this thread (page 33) that it would work in this way (no need to disengage the motors),  see link below. 

This never seemed to have been concluded in this thread and so I mentioned what I found in my post, hoping that I'd simply overlooked something that may allow it. 🙂

To clarify,  go-tos are quick and I didn't feel the need to override the motors. It was when fine-tuning the position manually as I found the virtual joystick a pain. So I had to disable the motors before using the manual slow motions and re enable. Use of a larger display for both apps to be simultaneously displayed is an option for consideration. 

As has been mentioned,  use of SS is a big plus,  so if the hand controller could have a joystick and a display with Android OS to use SS on the same physical device then this would be great!

CS, Andy🙂

I may be misunderstanding but have you used the direction buttons in SkySafari? They are handy for fine tuning position and can be set to different speeds.

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

When you had the motor unit on trial, are you saying you used SkySafari most of the time. 

You used the Nexus just for testing purposes?

The Motor kit comes with its own controller which creates a Wi-Fi hotspot, so there is no need for a Nexus of any kind. I used the Rowan app to connect and turn the motors on and did all my alignments in SkySafari which seemed to work very well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I may be misunderstanding but have you used the direction buttons in SkySafari?

I find them fiddly to use, however Rowan have a joystick based option (Xbox controller working with Android at present) coming soon.

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

I may be misunderstanding but have you used the direction buttons in SkySafari? They are handy for fine tuning position and can be set to different speeds.

Yes,  aware of this and tried to use but they didn't seem to move the mount.  Maybe the default slewing rates are very slow? Unfortunately cloud stopped play at the time.  Need to try again. 

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

I find them fiddly to use, however Rowan have a joystick based option (Xbox controller working with Android at present) coming soon.

I agree they are fiddly. You can set up the tilt to slew which works reasonably well.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree they are fiddly. You can set up the tilt to slew which works reasonably well.

Here is a demo video:

One item I'd like is on the analogue pad fast slow and then finer slew on the digital pad, or you can switch vice-a-verssa as a user option.

3 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

Yes,  aware of this and tried to use but they didn't seem to move the mount.  Maybe the default slewing rates are very slow? Unfortunately cloud stopped play at the time.  Need to try again. 

The Sky Safari buttons seemingly did not work for me until I figured out that they are not press-and-hold-down buttons, rather they are press-once-and-it moves-a-small-increment type meaning you have to press a given Sky Safari joystick button several times in radid succession for it to move an appreciable amount, each time you press it it move a little.

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

Hello FBXL5

The joystick is really only used for centering during alignment and fine positioning adjustment. It is not designed to drive the telescope across the sky.

If you want to make a large slew, just push the mount to the area of sky to be observed (set the clutches so they slip without undue force) and / or initiate a GOTO or nudge onto target either visually or using Skysafari  in any combination or order to accurately target an object.  The system doesn't mind what order the goto or push to is made and can be done simultaneously which makes large angular slews very quick with the telescope  finishing off the move and centring the object.

When nudging there is a setting in the config called 'Push track window' If you nudge the position and the cross hair stays within this window, the telescope will revert back to its original tracking point  or object.

If nudged outside this window, then when the systems senses that you have stopped nudging, it will use this new position as the tracking point.

We are working on an games pad or nunchuck style joystick that  some might find easier to use than a our app or Skysafari buttons.

To confirm earlier post, to use the slow motion, the motors must to be turned off from the app, however the slow mo controls  become somewhat redundant when using the motors.

The function of being able to use the slow-motions is more in case of an 'emergency situation' / flat battery rather than part of the normal operation when the mount has the motors fitted.

ATB

Derek.

2 hours ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

The joystick is really only used for centering during alignment and fine positioning adjustment. It is not designed to drive the telescope across the sky.

Hi Derek,  thanks for the feedback and additional information on the details of mount operation. I recognise some aspects of the behaviour of the 'Push track window' you describe from this first use. 

To be clear,  I only tried using the joystick for small movements when re-centreing the target, not for general slewing. I resorted to using the slow motion controls only when struggling with joystick and SS for fine control. I feel I understand these controls better now with feedback provided from yourself,  @swsantos and others and so will try to avoid this in future. 

Thanks again. 

Regards,  Andy

24 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Hi Derek,  thanks for the feedback and additional information on the details of mount operation. I recognise some aspects of the behaviour of the 'Push track window' you describe from this first use. 

To be clear,  I only tried using the joystick for small movements when re-centreing the target, not for general slewing. I resorted to using the slow motion controls only when struggling with joystick and SS for fine control. I feel I understand these controls better now with feedback provided from yourself,  @swsantos and others and so will try to avoid this in future. 

Thanks again. 

Regards,  Andy

Hi Andy,

I use a small 5" mak at about 150x for testing , I have the joystick speed set to 30. This gives a nice controllable speed.

Try testing during the day at an object on the horizon to get the feel of the various speed settings.

ATB

Derek.

24 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 09:51, Stu said:

The Motor kit comes with its own controller which creates a Wi-Fi hotspot, so there is no need for a Nexus of any kind. I used the Rowan app to connect and turn the motors on and did all my alignments in SkySafari which seemed to work very well.

So you can just switch the motors on in the Rowan app and  switch over to SS and do a alignment?

My method was to do my alignment in the rowan app with two alignment stars ,switch the motors on and then switch over to SS ,having aligned in the Rowan app.

On a few occasions I have switched over to Sky Safari from the Rowan app and  SS would not connect and I haven't  the foggiest idea why.

Cheers Frank

14 minutes ago, lifeonmars said:

So you can just switch the motors on in the Rowan app and  switch over to SS and do a alignment?

My method was to do my alignment in the rowan app with two alignment stars ,switch the motors on and then switch over to SS ,having aligned in the Rowan app.

On a few occasions I have switched over to Sky Safari from the Rowan app and  SS would not connect and I haven't  the foggiest idea why.

Cheers Frank

Yes, I believe that’s how it is supposed to work, but in reality I just start from the home position, turn on and then enable the motors in the Rowan app and do all the alignment in SS. Seems to work fine.

Do you have all the correct settings in SS?

Hello Stu

Thanks for the reply,yes I have checked all the settings in SS and altered the settings in scope set up page as per Rowan Instructions.

The only  thing I can think of,is I may have had my phone and tablet connected to the hotspot at the same time ,dont know if that could cause a problem no expert at these sort of things,but overall very pleased with motor upgrade.

Cheers Frank

On 19/12/2022 at 20:03, lifeonmars said:

Hello Stu

Thanks for the reply,yes I have checked all the settings in SS and altered the settings in scope set up page as per Rowan Instructions.

The only  thing I can think of,is I may have had my phone and tablet connected to the hotspot at the same time ,dont know if that could cause a problem no expert at these sort of things,but overall very pleased with motor upgrade.

Cheers Frank

You can have multiple devices connected (up to 4).

I run the Rowan Web page on my phone and Skysafiari on a tablet together.

You might have to click the telescope icon and connect in skysafari if SF is not responding.

• Thanks 1

Great thanks for the reply Dek,think I have tried clicking the scope icon .I must say the layout of the Rowan webpage its quite intuitive and works very well.

I'm not that familiar with Sky Safari  app so I am on a learning curve  with that ,so it could be me but I can connect to Sky Safari 3 or 4 times and then for some reason the next time it fails,but like I say it could be me!

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the Rowan motor kit now for a month or so and the two star alignment on the Rowan app is simple to do(even for a Dinosaur like me).

What I am struggling with is using Skysafari to do a 2 star alignment.

If I do a two star alignment on the Rowan app and switch to sky safari it works fine.

If I  initiate the motors via the Rowan app and switch to skysafari to do a two star alignment its not accurate at all.

I am obviously  doing so something wrong.

The method I use is as follows

1   Select a star in  Skysafari by tapping it ie Rigel then press goto ,the skysafari app slews my telescope to Where it thinks Rigel is.

2   I then  move my scope to centralise  Rigel in my  reticule eyepiece.

3. I then tap Rigel again and press Align,the Skysafari app then asks me if I  wish to use Rigel as a alignment star which I accept.

4.  I then use the same procedure for the second star ie Castor.

Can anyone clarify the correct procedure step by step in skysafari as I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I too have recently become a user of the motors on my AZ100. I did not think I would, but when my go to Eq main mount sold rather quickly I decided to do it. Delivery was slightly shorter than expected too. Parts arrived well packed and I had already watched the installation video and read the pdf instructions. Checked the parts all present and laid them out. Installation went smoothly, just be aware that the fit of the cover with bearing over the pulley shaft is a very close fit - it has to be put on dead square and not forced. The web interface and Sky Safari connection worked fine and the Wi Fi link was solid (if you have problems you may have to change the channel to one without a strong local router signal). I had to indoor test initially, but managed a very brief Quick Start outside to see how it tracked (Jupiter) and was pleasantly surprised. I am patiently waiting for the DSC firmware as that will be my preferred control. I do have a few comments on the Rowan web interface which I have passed on to Derek. Due to clouds and other interruptions I have yet to get out under sky and see how it goes just using Safari.

The manual AZ100 itself is quite chunky and it has to be said that it gets heavier by 1.8kg with the motors and 50mm taller and wider. Also with the the controller and cables on the front it is not quite so transportable. OK for me as at home it will replace the Eq mount on a pier, and it still fits in my storage box (just) and on UNI tripod for transportation. Considering the absolute quality, total capacity for two scopes, no absolute need for counterweights, it is still a competitive weight  mount at ~10.5kg depending on options fitted. If it suits you put it on your wish list !

20230119_192335.jpg

20230125_110854.jpg

20230125_111122.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I too have recently become a user of the motors on my AZ100. I did not think I would, but when my go to Eq main mount sold rather quickly I decided to do it. Delivery was slightly shorter than expected too. Parts arrived well packed and I had already watched the installation video and read the pdf instructions. Checked the parts all present and laid them out. Installation went smoothly, just be aware that the fit of the cover with bearing over the pulley shaft is a very close fit - it has to be put on dead square and not forced. The web interface and Sky Safari connection worked fine and the Wi Fi link was solid (if you have problems you may have to change the channel to one without a strong local router signal). I had to indoor test initially, but managed a very brief Quick Start outside to see how it tracked (Jupiter) and was pleasantly surprised. I am patiently waiting for the DSC firmware as that will be my preferred control. I do have a few comments on the Rowan web interface which I have passed on to Derek. Due to clouds and other interruptions I have yet to get out under sky and see how it goes just using Safari.

The manual AZ100 itself is quite chunky and it has to be said that it gets heavier by 1.8kg with the motors and 50mm taller and wider. Also with the the controller and cables on the front it is not quite so transportable. OK for me as at home it will replace the Eq mount on a pier, and it still fits in my storage box (just) and on UNI tripod for transportation. Considering the absolute quality, total capacity for two scopes, no absolute need for counterweights, it is still a competitive weight  mount at ~10.5kg depending on options fitted. If it suits you put it on your wish list !

20230119_192335.jpg

20230125_110854.jpg

20230125_111122.jpg

That is a pretty neat power pack solution, I have been wondering how best to hold the power pack myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Speedmaster said:

Any try outs with cameras ? Not crazy long exposures but just to see if the mount can track enough for simple ap. 

I'm interested in this myself.

I know Neils Haagh, who runs Panther mounts in Denmark often stacks 30s subs without using the field de-rotation device and the results are pretty good.

I think 30s is the limit though, depending on focal length / target etc

Edited by Space Hopper
typo

6 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

20230119_192335.jpg

20230125_110854.jpg

20230125_111122.jpg

Love the battery bag. I am assuming that the bolt holding its bracket is not tight and that it just dangles allowing it to continue to hang straight down as the altitude changes?

Did you make the bracket or is it a readily available item? That bag is a generic bag velcroed to the bracket?

22 minutes ago, BGazing said:

As I have ordered the dual saddle version and am waiting for it...is adjustment plate a must? 

Hi @BGazing i think the answer will depend on your use case and expectations (and your scopes).

I asked myself the same question before I acquired a second scope to mount on my AZ100 and decided to "wait and see" after some practical experience. So far the jury is still out but my gut feeling (for me) is that the saddle adjuster won't be needed.

I haven't had enough hours sat behind dual mounted scopes at different levels of magnification to formulate my final opinion but i have found what small difference there is in aiming point between scopes (and there is a small difference for my scopes) feels "not more troublesome" than the amount of drift across the EP there is in any event while i move from sitting behind one scope to sitting behind the other (1.  the other anyway set up at a different mag/FOV, 2. i don't have motor drives). i.e the object being observed in the first scope is pretty much there or thereabouts in the second scope even by the time i've moved across and i would guesstimate (i haven't totally properly checked) it is probably there or thereabouts to within 1/2 degree.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, swsantos said:

Love the battery bag. I am assuming that the bolt holding its bracket is not tight and that it just dangles allowing it to continue to hang straight down as the altitude changes?

Did you make the bracket or is it a readily available item? That bag is a generic bag velcroed to the bracket?

• There is a small gap between the bolt and spacer that lets it hang vertical, but the (threaded) spacer is hand tight on the mount
  • the bracket is sheet aluminium with folded edges- made in shed !
  • the neoprene bag came with the power pack (12v and USB) from Ridge Monkey. The velcro strap is tight and grips the neoprene.
  • Like 1