Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Here are two scopes side by side on an AZ100 with the altitude adjuster attached right hand side as advised.

285243B9-54C6-4643-B2EA-BC3B0BF483FF.thumb.jpeg.59e8a5a2704cdb04f5be36cab7d7b9be.jpeg

I would suggest getting the adjuster, both scopes above are using a 10 mm UFF EP, F6 versus F 6.25. 

After 10 minutes of adjustment both where aligned with each other.

Used a target across a green outside during daytime. 

It would be to much fiddling to do with quite a few scopes so pick your pair…

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you look back at previous pages you really need a moveable weight. 

I believe Rowan is engineering a bar that can be attached to the front. When I say engineering they are tied up with other projects.

This means you should be able to adjust the balance without moving the scope.

Using two scopes does give the system more inertia and hence it's a little more forgiving when using BV's.

If anyone is using an Avalon TPOD 110 or 130 with the Avalon EQ6 adapter plate and AZ100 can you please post a picture of how the adapter plate is fitted or post a detailed description?  Seems the plate can only fit onto the top of the tripod or from underneath?  If it mounts from underneath then it seems that the adapter plate is simply a glorified washer?

My TPOD 110 just arrived and I am curious to understand the placement of the adapter before my AZ100 mount arrives, hopefully  next week.

On 20/06/2021 at 19:48, swsantos said:

Using the Avalon EQ6 adapter for the 12mm mounting hole. The panhandle does hit the tripod so will need a riser to clear it for it to point to the zenith with the panhandle attached. Note the extra carry handles on the TPOD130. It comes with one but was able to find additional stock handles identical to the one that came with it so now there is a carry handle on each of the legs. There are threaded holes on each of the legs to accept carry handles but the tripod only comes with one. They are Elesa bridge handles part number M.443/110-CH-C9

IMG_2933 (Large).JPG

Hi, What type of screws hold the handles?

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been watching this thread and I'm hoping to get some guidance.  I want to combine an AZ100 (single scope on the left with counterweights on the right) with Planet tripod to use with either a Meade 10" ACF f8 (33lb OTA bare) or C11 Edge (28lb OTA bare).  I don't like to see the image wiggling at the eyepiece when focusing or when the wind blows (its one thing I appreciate about a CPC or LX200 fork setup but my luck with reliability on those is what drove me to the AZ100 now that the motor drive is coming).   Before deciding on an OTA, I was hoping to make sure I have my expectations appropriately set.

So, what can I expect at the eyepiece in terms of stability, focus wiggles and damping time?  I see a lot of comments about "rock solid", but I suppose its different to everyone.  For me, "rock solid" is what an LX200 or CPC delivers.  How does the AZ100 + Planet + counterweights compare?  

Thanks in advance!

R

• Like 1

Good question! I have no experience with those loads but once you add all your peripherals you will be approaching the recommended 20 kg. Try searching this topic only with  say ^ C 11^ and see what comes up?

Welcome and good luck. Even rocks are not completely solid 🙂

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 19:54, Rixavatar said:

So I've been watching this thread and I'm hoping to get some guidance.  I want to combine an AZ100 (single scope on the left with counterweights on the right) with Planet tripod to use with either a Meade 10" ACF f8 (33lb OTA bare) or C11 Edge (28lb OTA bare).  I don't like to see the image wiggling at the eyepiece when focusing or when the wind blows (its one thing I appreciate about a CPC or LX200 fork setup but my luck with reliability on those is what drove me to the AZ100 now that the motor drive is coming).   Before deciding on an OTA, I was hoping to make sure I have my expectations appropriately set.

So, what can I expect at the eyepiece in terms of stability, focus wiggles and damping time?  I see a lot of comments about "rock solid", but I suppose its different to everyone.  For me, "rock solid" is what an LX200 or CPC delivers.  How does the AZ100 + Planet + counterweights compare?  

Thanks in advance!

R

I’ve not used a CPC so cannot directly comment. All I would say is I don’t think there can be any steadier combinations than a Planet and AZ100, so you should not be disappointed. The most I’ve put on it is an LZOS 130mm f6, a fairly chunky scope and it handles that easily. It remains smooth with counterweights, but I use one anyway, mainly to ensure overall stability of the tripod to avoid any chance of tipping, however remote that may be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Deadlake said:

You might want to message @Trentend. He has a C11 and AZ100 he uses as his portable setup. 
Quite a few people on CN use the AZ100 with a C11 as well.

This is good to hear!  The Meade 10" f8 is about 5lbs heavier, but also a touch smaller, so I'm hoping it would compare favorably.  I have both extension sizes as well for use with refractors, but I suspect I will want to delete those from the setup if I can, to lower the center of gravity and reduce the potential for flexing, if that's even a concern with this mount.  Going from a TSA-120 to a C11 or Meade 10" f8 is a big step in weight, but also a reduction in moment arm.  Mostly, I don't want to sacrifice stability at the eyepiece because focus wiggles are a bit of a nit for me.  Some people can deal with them, but when damping reaches even 1 second for me, I notice it.

The responses here so far have been great!  I really appreciate it.  

• Like 1

No need for any counter weight in my experience. I’ve loaded a C11 on one side with lots of heavy kit (binoviewers, eyepieces etc) and it was as solid as a rock. Zero movement. I’ve also stuck a 102 frac on the other side which was great once aligned on the dual saddle. You can also just about reach zenith with the tilt handle, albeit requires a little guiding between the planet legs.

Hope that helps.

9659C7B6-235C-4DF5-863A-473738F481C3.jpeg

Edited by Trentend
  • Like 6

Has anyone tried the Rowan weight to balance their scope?

image.jpeg.6107a865ce8a7b2a0aadcd479d3f8845.jpeg

It is meant to be used with the pan handle. I would of preferred a bar on the front of the saddle for it to be mounted, or really makes no difference using the pan handle to attach it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

It is meant to be used with the pan handle. I would have preferred a bar on the front of the saddle for it to be mounted, or really makes no difference using the pan handle to attach it?

Yes, I’ve used it (‘twas my idea 😇😂). It works well and doesn’t affect the ability to use the pan handle for its main purpose. It’s very convenient having it close by so adjustments are quick and easy to make.

I did experiment with having a bar pointing down at the front of the saddle. This can be a real benefit for balancing long, heavy eyepieces or binoviewers when pointed at the zenith. I think Rowan are going to make a bracket to allow this to be done.

79FB1369-C3BD-4E4D-B7AD-BEFD50D2F44D.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Deadlake said:

It is meant to be used with the pan handle. I would of preferred a bar on the front of the saddle for it to be mounted, or really makes no difference using the pan handle to attach it?

Thanks for posting.., 

I was curious to see what would eventually come of this - and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed, really. 

I would have much preferred the counterweighting to be based at the saddle centre or at the front like you said, but I guess it comes down to preference.., 

Still - its good to see responses to customer feedback nevertheless! 

1 hour ago, bsdsgl84 said:

Thanks for posting.., 

I was curious to see what would eventually come of this - and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed, really. 

I would have much preferred the counterweighting to be based at the saddle centre or at the front like you said, but I guess it comes down to preference.., 

Still - its good to see responses to customer feedback nevertheless! 

If the pan handle was modified (i.e. made to look like a counterweight bar) it could easily be attached to the front of the saddle.

A question for @Dek Rowan Astro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lifeonmars said:

Can I ask does the counterweight slide over the handle end of the panhandle ie the larger diameter of the panhandle thankyou.

Frank

For the prototypes I tested, no. You slide the weight over the threaded end of the handle and then screw it into place. The thicker handle acts as the end stop. Worked well, the only negative being that it takes longer to remove the weight of you need to.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2022 at 13:31, Trentend said:

No need for any counter weight in my experience. I’ve loaded a C11 on one side with lots of heavy kit (binoviewers, eyepieces etc) and it was as solid as a rock. Zero movement. I’ve also stuck a 102 frac on the other side which was great once aligned on the dual saddle. You can also just about reach zenith with the tilt handle, albeit requires a little guiding between the planet legs.

Hope that helps.

9659C7B6-235C-4DF5-863A-473738F481C3.jpeg

So, with this setup, you don't experience any image wiggles when focusing?  I have received a Meade 10" ACF f8 OTA with the exact same setup as above, and when focusing, the image oscillates during focusing and for 2 to 3 seconds after focusing.  This is with our without counterweight bar and 2 weights installed.  I'm trying to properly set my expectations and determine if there is something wrong somehow with my setup.

Thanks!

Rix

Edited by Rixavatar

On 18/10/2022 at 20:26, Deadlake said:

I have one coming and intend to front mount. Will post pics when sorted how I like it. 

Have put a post below now.......

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2022 at 11:52, Trentend said:

No wiggle whatsoever. Visual observations are like the scope is attached directly to Mother Earth (I think that’s why Berlebach call their tripod the “planet”…)

Well, based on that, I wonder what's going on.  Here is a pic of my setup while I was trying various configurations (riser, no riser, weights inward, weights out, no weights, with and without VSPs, etc).  Rowan is working with me to figure out why I'm seeing oscillations at the eyepiece and they've been great with helping thus far, but the best I've managed is about 2 seconds of image wiggle damping time when touching the focuser to focus, or tapping lightly (like you would tap on your cell phone screen) on it or the diagonal.  The wind will get things to moving too if it picks up at all.  I've tried my Planet and my T-Pod, everything is tight, backlash is adjusted nicely, etc.  I'm a long ways from the rock solid behavior you're describing and I'd sure like to get somewhere even close to that.  On the upside, the slow motion controls are incredible and the motions are very smooth, whether the friction is set to light or heavy.  Better than my DM6 I'd say in terms of motions and that's saying a lot.  The mount seems amazing otherwise, which is why I keep thinking it could just be something I'm doing wrong, though I didn't see this with my DM6.  I guess I'm hoping that maybe someone might have some ideas.

~R

IMG_0960.jpg

• Like 2