Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eastern and Western Veils NGC6960 and NGC6992

Laurin Dave

Having come back from a certain Mr Olly Penrice's establishment where we imaged the whole of the Veil I thought I'd have a go at the Witches Broom (NGC6960),  when I saw how that came out I decided to do the Network Nebula (NGC6992) as well.  So here they are, imaged from deepest Berkshire through my Esprit 150/SX-46 with piggybacked Esprit 100/ASI1600mm on a Mesu 200.  Ha and RGB through the 150 and Ha and Oiii through the 100 as follows: NGC6960 Esprit 150 2.5hrs R, 1.7hrs G, 1.5 hrs B Esprit 100 9hrs Ha, 6hrs Oiii total 29hrs....   NGC6992 Esprit 150 1.5hrs each RGB 7hrs Ha, Esprit 100 8hrs Ha, 7.5hrs Oiii total 27hrs.

Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, in particular I used StarNet to produce starless narrowband images which I then blended with the starry ones and layered over the R G and B in photoshop using blend mode lighten, Ha to Red at 100%, Oiii added to Blue at 100% and to Green at 50%.    RGB was processed using Pixinsights HSVrep process then ArcSin stretch then Masked Stretch as this gives good star colour.

Thanks for looking c and c welcome

Dave

Network Nebula NGC6992

1401038176_NGC6992HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB.thumb.jpg.4be1483a67bbaea4ce47b8bc7fe6cedd.jpg

Witches Broom NGC6960

NGC6960_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB.thumb.jpg.af58a8d00b63b80b8921f26b9b1cfafb.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Absolutely stunning Dave. 

Thank Souls :) 

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

Beautiful work. Are these clever processing tricks newly acquired from your visit to the Penrice School of Processing Wizardry?!

Thanks Gav..  Yep many marvellous processing tricks learnt at Les Granges especially the Photoshop layering and suppression  Oiii to green to get a nice blue.  Better than Hogwarts for sure!  The HSVrep ArcSinh MS stretch is one of Barry Wilson's tutorials on his website (the Arc Sinh was I believe developed by Mark Shelley)

Dave

• Like 2

Dave, those really are good! You've used a number of techniques I don't know at all, here. You have the holy grail of natural colour in tiny narrowband stars and the narrowband structure and depth in the gas with close to natural RGB colour.

The images are not just gorgeous and informative but are also original. I've never seen the Veil rendered in this way. Chapeau!

Olly.

16 hours ago, dazza1639 said:

Stunning the colours are so vivid 

Thanks Darren

15 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Wow that's lovely!  Well done.

Thanks Steve

15 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a great image. Love the stars, and because they're so good the nebula really shines.

Thanks Richard

13 hours ago, smr said:

Jeeze. That's amazing. The best Eastern Veil Nebula I've ever seen. Wow. 

I definitely need to buy a dedicated astronomy camera. So this was imaged with an ASI1600MM Mono?

Thank you..  My Esprit 100 has an ASI1600mm on it so yes in part, an Esprit 150 with an SX-46 was also used.  Interestingly in Ha, where I have collected on both, the ASI1600 on the 100 seems to be at least as sensitive as the SX-46 on the 150

13 hours ago, carastro said:

Quite stunning.  27 hours and it shows.

Carole 

Thank you Carole

13 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks for sharing they are quite brilliant and beautiful 🙂 

Steve

Thanks Steve

10 hours ago, Ruud said:

Phenomenal images with marvellous colours!

Thank you 

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Dave, those really are good! You've used a number of techniques I don't know at all, here. You have the holy grail of natural colour in tiny narrowband stars and the narrowband structure and depth in the gas with close to natural RGB colour.

The images are not just gorgeous and informative but are also original. I've never seen the Veil rendered in this way. Chapeau!

Olly.

Thanks Olly,  third time round processing these as I wasn't completely happy with them when looking at others renditions..  it was a post of yours I read last week about suppressing the Oiii into green that got the Blues for me.. and of course the use of the soft eraser (oops should I have mentioned that?)

9 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Very nice,

Roger

Thanks Roger

• Thanks 1

I agree with everyone - really beautiful images! They set a very high standard👍. I was imaging with virtually the same set up last night (Esprits 150 and 100 on Mesu200) and fortunately I was aiming at a different part of the sky. Otherwise the pressure now would have been too much😱 although I could always blame seeing.....

Edited by gorann

7 hours ago, gorann said:

I agree with everyone - really beautiful images! They set a very high standard👍. I was imaging with virtually the same set up last night (Esprits 150 and 100 on Mesu200) and fortunately I was aiming at a different part of the sky. Otherwise the pressure now would have been too much😱 although I could always blame seeing.....

Thanks Gorann..  these were imaged between 30 August and 20 September.. its taken me a month to process them!

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave

4 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Dave any chance you'd have a tutorial for starnet?

Hi Richard, I'm afraid not but I'm not sure you need one..  I just downloaded it from Sourceforge into the Pixinsight directory then installed it in Pixinsight..  called up the process and applied it to a stretched image at its default setting of Stride 128 and hey presto a starless one was produced.  Worked well on both mono and colour images, I then used PS Heal brush for repair around obvious artefacts

HTH

Dave

16 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Richard, I'm afraid not but I'm not sure you need one..  I just downloaded it from Sourceforge into the Pixinsight directory then installed it in Pixinsight..  called up the process and applied it to a stretched image at its default setting of Stride 128 and hey presto a starless one was produced.  Worked well on both mono and colour images, I then used PS Heal brush for repair around obvious artefacts

HTH

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for that. I'm struggling with how to download into the Pixinsight directory and then installing it in Pixinsight. 

26 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Hi Dave. Thanks for that. I'm struggling with how to download into the Pixinsight directory and then installing it in Pixinsight. 

Hi Richard..  if I remember correctly I downloaded it from sourceforge..  unzipped it then copied all to the Program files/pixinsight/bin folder..  then opened Pixinsight..  opened the Process menu.. at the bottom of which is "Modules" click on that to open "Install Modules" search the "bin" folder for Starnet and install..  I did find out how to do this from a video somewhere but it was a few weeks ago now and no longer in my (or my pcs) memory

Dave

Just now, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Richard..  if I remember correctly I downloaded it from sourceforge..  unzipped it then copied all to the Program files/pixinsight/bin folder..  then opened Pixinsight..  opened the Process menu.. at the bottom of which is "Modules" click on that to open "Install Modules" search the "bin" folder for Starnet and install..  I did find out how to do this from a video somewhere but it was a few weeks ago now and no longer in my (or my pcs) memory

Dave

Thanks David. My mistake was to copy the folder rather than the files into the bin folder. 

• Like 1