NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you had only 1 mount, what would it be and why?

Alan White

One mount, one scope,  one eyepiece. Few more to come possibly. The imagers are not going to like the last instalment:

If you had only one wire  😂

At the moment a Altair Sabre with a modded AZ8 riser as its still new to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't use any wires between house and observatory - hey wait - I tell a lie - there's mains supply!  OTOH there's battery backup if the mains fails (not such a rare occurrence).

• Like 3

One mount? Hmmm, would have to be one I don't currently have I think. I enjoy manual Alt AZ mounts such as my Ercole with twin clamps, but also tracking when observing the Sun, Moon and planets. So, I think I would go with the iOptron AZ Pro on the Tri-pier with extension which should cover my needs.

Dobs don't count I assume, so i can keep those? 😉

• Like 1

For the overall combination of affordability, reliability and great engineering, I'd pick the Vixen GPDX.

Simply lovely to use and look at, and such good value as a used purchase.

Shown here with my Moonraker 80mm F15 ☺.

Dave

IMG_20190801_181401461-351x624.jpg

IMG_20190801_181351089-351x624.jpg

IMG_20190801_181411392-351x624.jpg

IMG_20190801_181417373-351x624.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

Only 1, so one or the other

That's a bit harsh! But in that case it's a dobsonian mount with an equatorial platform, or a dobsonian with some other tracking facility.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

One mount? Hmmm, would have to be one I don't currently have I think. I enjoy manual Alt AZ mounts such as my Ercole with twin clamps, but also tracking when observing the Sun, Moon and planets. So, I think I would go with the iOptron AZ Pro on the Tri-pier with extension which should cover my needs.

Dobs don't count I assume, so i can keep those? 😉

No Stu, been tried already, just one mount and Dobson is a mounted Newtonian as well you know, tsk, tsk 😉

• Haha 3

Since sorting out my initial problems with PA, I am reasonably happy with my NEQ6, although if I were doing it now, I would probably go for the R model because of the improved PE with the belt drive. Yes, I know I could fit belt drives to my current mount ... I could also do my own plumbing, but the results would probably be less than optimal!

If I had the possibility of a permanent setup, and also received a small windfall, I would probably  follow Olly's advice and go for a mesu.

• Like 3