Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative to Kimwipes in UK

Hi all,

I currently use the Baader Optical Wonder fluid with the Baader microfibre cloth. However, I want to use disposable lint-free clothes with the fluid, specifically Kimwipes or similar: https://www.fishersci.co.uk/shop/products/kimberly-clark-kimtech-science-kimwipes-delicate-task-wipers-7/p-211240 . I cannot seem to source a single box or two in the UK, and Amazon and Ebay is mostly from international sellers which I won't trust. Given the medical use, lint-free spec of the Kimwipes linked, does anyone know where I can buy something similar in the UK? 

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

The Zeiss wipes are pre-wetted so not the same thing.  It seems to be really hard to find something similar in the UK.  Safetiss are lint free, strong when wet, and don't shed too much but I'm not sure how they compare,,,

Cheers, Ian

I use retired 100% cotton T-shirts or the upper part of retired, near 100% cotton crew socks for lens cleaning.  Cotton is less likely to scratch than any wipe made from wood pulp, and cotton is absorbent enough to easily hold the cleaning fluid to prevent it from wicking under retaining rings at the edge.  Having been washed literally hundreds of times before I retire them (did I mention they develop some holes by that point?), the are basically lint free.  I would make sure the last few washes are done with allergen free detergent to avoid leaving any residue in the fibers.  I've been cleaning camera, telescope, and eyepiece lenses for years in this manner with nary a scratch or streak left on any of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

did I mention they develop some holes by that point?

1 hour ago, Jiggy 67 said:

You need to go shopping more often 😀😀

I have been told "you cannot go out wearing that thing with holes in it"

and

"you cannot go into the workshop wearing that new shirt"

Only to find out I can  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

My feeling is that if a shirt or jumper can keep me sufficiently warm then its purpose is still served even if it is badly frayed, full of holes or covered in a combination of oil/paint/blood stains.  More so, I claim this is an environmentally responsible attitude.

My wife declines to share this point of view, though the expense of replacement can sometimes force her to temporarily accept it.

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jiggy 67 said:

You need to go shopping more often 😀😀

I was raised as a thrifty Scotsman (descendant) by parents who grew up during the privations of the Depression and WWII.  My parents patched my jeans for school until the new school year started when I would get new ones simply because I had outgrown the old ones, so I became accustomed to getting every last bit of mileage out of each bit of clothing.  The fact that today's generation wear pre-distressed jeans with holes in them from the factory is mind-boggling to me.  I was never happier than when I got stiff, dark blue jeans once per year.

• Like 3

On 30/06/2019 at 13:31, Deeko said:

I currently use the Baader Optical Wonder fluid with the Baader microfibre cloth.....

Thats my choice for cleaning eyepiece and refractor lenses.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2019 at 13:31, Deeko said:

Hi all,

I currently use the Baader Optical Wonder fluid with the Baader microfibre cloth. 

This is what I would recommend using . This is my cleaning method of choice with my refractor and it has served me well over the years. I certainty would not risk some material from old clothing on my refractor lens, in my opinion you just do not know what particles or chemical contaminants the old material may of picked up. To risky to put on my frac lens or eyepieces I am afraid. I will stick to the baader products as it has worked for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

My feeling is that if a shirt or jumper can keep me sufficiently warm then its purpose is still served even if it is badly frayed, full of holes or covered in a combination of oil/paint/blood stains.  More so, I claim this is an environmentally responsible attitude.

My wife declines to share this point of view, though the expense of replacement can sometimes force her to temporarily accept it.

James

Have same issue with my wife, when use very religious T-shirts to mow the yard, remind you, do have a 2000 sq metre block to maintain, which is standard size for housing estate live on

I just use distilled water, and moistened ball of cotton wool to clean my Dob mirrors and eyepieces

Not sure what chemicals are impregnated in commercial wipes

John 

Reading this has prompted me to order the Baader Wonder Fluid and Cloth Set from FLO.

Been thinking about it for ages and I do already have a cleaning set, but I look forward to seeing just how good the Baader product is. :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Reading this has prompted me to order the Baader Wonder Fluid and Cloth Set from FLO.

Been thinking about it for ages and I do already have a cleaning set, but I look forward to seeing just how good the Baader product is. :) 

The trouble with the Baader microfibre cloth is that it obviously gets dirty with use and eventually needs washing.  Astrodon / Optical Structures recommend using Kimwipes and that's good enough for me!

16 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

The KimTech wipes are fantastic!

Used with IPA, never use them dry!

Cleaned my CMOS sensor and filters 100%.

I recommend them.

You clean them with IPA?

Image result for greene king IPA"

What a waste of good beer!

But as you have suggested this, I must go purchase a case and see how I do.
Or perhaps just drink it, then who cares if the kit needs a clean 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2