Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ogem mount - still vapour-ware or have they started shipping

15 minutes ago, dahle said:

35Kg ??? yes that's right .... but not for this mount !!! Mark thinks to be inspired by the Trident mount (100kg, recommended 75kg) to make a mount, the Kraken which will support 35 kg .. Like what false news (or rather incomplete information) can quickly spread and cause confusion.

"Our next project is the Kraken 35, a portable Trident derivative to carry 35 kg photographically" dixit Mark.

Alain

Now that would be of enormous interest to me Alain, I was looking at the CEM60 until it sadly had been withdrawn so am very interested in the CEM70 or equivalent mount in that weight capacity.

A similar design (friction drive) as the Trident would be very marketable. I believe the Gemini has similar weight capacity, another one I have my eye on.

Thanks for the update Alain 👍

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your aggressive response - I was not putting mark down nor implying any issues with the mount - I was simply asking a question if weather or not others has heard of a 35kg version and if you read up in the posts i was actually defending mark and admitting that i had unfairly been one of his biggest critics..

50 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Thank you for your aggressive response

Aggressive ??? I do not think and far from me this intention, it is just a development with reliable information. It is not you who is concerned, but just your source of information.

not for me but for Phil. Sorry Northernlight 🥴

Edited by dahle

14 hours ago, Northernlight said:

I had someone message me as saying that the mount that has been delivered apparently only has a 35kg payload. Take this with a very big pinch of salt as i have no way to validate this claim, but wondered if anyone else has heard anything similar.

I don’t feel that was aggressive. Merely more of a defensive stance after I see you yet again jump on any doubt or inconsistencies. 

I wish you well Mr NorthernLight. But your question was “not “ wether there was a 35kg version.  It was you got told the mount sent out was only 35kg capacity.  To me, that is totally different to asking a simple question is it not.

im sure everyone will have their mounts soon and then me soon after with the V2 which I will most likely do video review of once it’s installed in my observatory.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dare i ask if anyone has actually got their mount yet - Not seen any posts about any getting their mounts or posting their results yet.  Just surprised that  the person who received their mount some time ago hasn't posted any results or findings.  on 28th may JTW posted "The first Trident mount is delivered! This is a nice milestone. It actually arrived a little while back "   so this suggest that the person had their mount well in advance of 28th may - so potentially they have had the mount for over a month now 

Just would have expected to see some images taken with the mount or some tracking results  - very curious.

1 hour ago, Northernlight said:

Dare i ask if anyone has actually got their mount yet - Not seen any posts about any getting their mounts or posting their results yet.  Just surprised that  the person who received their mount some time ago hasn't posted any results or findings.  on 28th may JTW posted "The first Trident mount is delivered! This is a nice milestone. It actually arrived a little while back "   so this suggest that the person had their mount well in advance of 28th may - so potentially they have had the mount for over a month now 

Just would have expected to see some images taken with the mount or some tracking results  - very curious.

Lol 😂 you can’t leave this post alone can you! Out of curiosity are you still looking for a mount to replace your EQ8?

I believe from reviewing the JTW website and Facebook page, JTW have machined and painted several components for the first production run of the Trident several months ago, so like you I would expect deliveries of the mount to be either just starting or possibly well underway.

Due to obvious constraints with the current COVID-19 situation it may have impacted delivery of these first mounts possibly, again speculation on my part. I am intrigued by the mount though and often see if they have any further updates on their social media channels. The mounts certainly look well finished, machined and appear similar in design to the MESU, again no bad thing!

Another Mount I have my eye on is the Gemini, E-Fric although weight capacity isn’t as much as the Trident again it uses friction drive and appears beautifully machined and solid. An update of the previous Gemini G53 I believe which is no longer available, several good reports from a thread on CN indicate several happy recipients of the mount. It also has the uniqueness of being able to be ordered with either Gemini own controller system or one of a similar design.

Back on track, like you I hope to hear of people’s experiences of the new Trident Mount - good times (Hopefully) to be in the market for a good quality Mount at the moment 😊👍 I’m hoping to purchase next year, 55 and pension pot is looming!

Hi Neil,  Yes i am still looking to replace my EQ8 at some point - and that's why i had been watching this mount for so long.  I also looked at the E-Fric with great interest but the imaging capacity is just too low for me which is a shame as the intro price was fantastic.

In regards to the JTW trident - I'm just curious why no reviews, images or anything being posted by the person who received the mount "a while back" before the 28th may. 

48 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

In regards to the JTW trident - I'm just curious why no reviews, images or anything being posted by the person who received the mount "a while back" before the 28th may. 

Tbf I've not known anyone on here who has had a Mesu, stuck it in the obsy and its worked perfectly off the pallet. So theres likely lots of testing and software setup. Plus a lot of people dont bother imaging from May to July.

1 hour ago, Northernlight said:

I fail to understand why you need to bring this to attention every few weeks? You say you have no axe to grind but it seems otherwise...

24 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Tbf I've not known anyone on here who has had a Mesu, stuck it in the obsy and its worked perfectly off the pallet. So theres likely lots of testing and software setup. Plus a lot of people dont bother imaging from May to July.

Come on - if you had a new mount that you had been waiting anywhere between 1-3 years for then you would probably have it setup within a few  days max, and i'm pretty sure you would also pretty sure you would stay up until 11pm to test it out. Call me cynical  but i'm being to wonder if that mount picture released by JTW was a pic of the mount in his own shed.

Wait for it...........no doubt the pro Mark/JTW brigade will be along presently to start flaming me lol

Edited by Northernlight

2 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Come on - if you had a new mount that you had been waiting anywhere between 1-3 years for then you would probably have it setup within a few  days max, and i'm pretty sure you would also pretty sure you would stay up until 11pm to test it out.

Maybe, if I lived within 30° of the equator and had plenty of long dark clear skies. Up here at 52° i tend to have to put up with clouds for the majority of the year.

13 minutes ago, AngryDonkey said:

I fail to understand why you need to bring this to attention every few weeks? You say you have no axe to grind but it seems otherwise...

and I fail to understand why people are so apposed to me asking if people have received their mount yet ?  As I have mentioned i am in a position of wanting to replace my EQ8 and maybe i'm just keen to see the result and to see if they are good enough to persuade me reconsider this mount.

10 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Perfect tracking and guiding with default settings? If so that's a remarkable feat though I know of another member who has not had it so easy recently but that's a different topic.

There aren't an awful lot of mounts that can work "off the pallet" with default settings.  Even my AVX working off the handset or EQMOD had to have location and limit settings etc. set.   With the Mesu200 there are a number of settings which need to be configured to suit your particular location/equipment and, once done, they shouldn't need changing again.

I think there has been a few noted issues with Mesu200's, but I think these are so memorable because they are so rare, you certainly don't see pages of continuous issues.

Like @Skipper Billy, once the necessary settings were configured, mine worked and has worked flawlessly since.

27 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

and I fail to understand why people are so apposed to me asking if people have received their mount yet ?  As I have mentioned i am in a position of wanting to replace my EQ8 and maybe i'm just keen to see the result and to see if they are good enough to persuade me reconsider this mount.

It might be worth contacting JTW directly yourself to get the necessary information if it’s not forthcoming from this forum. The manufacturer may be able to put you into contact with new owners as well to get the relevant first impressions and their own experiences of what is still a very new mount.

The load capacity for my own uses is way over what I plan in the future so although I am interested in the Trident, if JTW chose to develop and manufacture a similar design with say 30 to 35 kg load capacity at a competitive price around the new CEM70 price point, that would be of great interest to me.

Edited by Neil27

32 minutes ago, RayD said:

There aren't an awful lot of mounts that can work "off the pallet" with default settings.  Even my AVX working off the handset or EQMOD had to have location and limit settings etc. set.   With the Mesu200 there are a number of settings which need to be configured to suit your particular location/equipment and, once done, they shouldn't need changing again.

I think there has been a few noted issues with Mesu200's, but I think these are so memorable because they are so rare, you certainly don't see pages of continuous issues.

Like @Skipper Billy, once the necessary settings were configured, mine worked and has worked flawlessly since.

That's what I meant! They need setting up and testing to get the best out of them! I would imagine it's the same with these new Trident mounts.

Back in 2014 when I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket for a decent high load capacity mount, I nearly bought a second hand Paramount but was persuaded to go the Mesu Mk1 route by numerous imagers singing it's praises on this forum and just as  important, that it could be purchased from a well respected UK dealer.

My approach would be to go for a mount that was already out there being used and producing results, there is always the possibility that something better will come along, but on that basis I would never buy any imaging gear.

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

That's what I meant! They need setting up and testing to get the best out of them! I would imagine it's the same with these new Trident mounts.

Yes, they definitely need to be set up.  This new one will need to be set up in exactly the same way as it's using the same controller.  Sitech is a bit quirky, and not that intuitive to use, so it does take a bit to get your head around.  I hope this new mount doesn't get bad reports and bad press because people are struggling with Sitech and not getting the best out of it because they haven't got the controller settings right.

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Back in 2014 when I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket for a decent high load capacity mount, I nearly bought a second hand Paramount but was persuaded to go the Mesu Mk1 route by numerous imagers singing it's praises on this forum and just as  important, that it could be purchased from a well respected UK dealer.

My approach would be to go for a mount that was already out there being used and producing results, there is always the possibility that something better will come along, but on that basis I would never buy any imaging gear.

Tomato - until 4 weeks ago i was in the very same boat - but unfortunately the money did burn a hole in my pocket and i blew £2,000 on a 10" ONTC new with upgraded conical mirrors - Oopps need to save to replace that 2k dent in mount fund.

16 hours ago, Neil27 said:

It might be worth contacting JTW directly yourself to get the necessary information if it’s not forthcoming from this forum. The manufacturer may be able to put you into contact with new owners as well to get the relevant first impressions and their own experiences of what is still a very new mount.

The load capacity for my own uses is way over what I plan in the future so although I am interested in the Trident, if JTW chose to develop and manufacture a similar design with say 30 to 35 kg load capacity at a competitive price around the new CEM70 price point, that would be of great interest to me.

Neil i think that ship sailed a long time ago  lo l - Can you imagine his response if i emailed him. He would think i was just messing with him

• 2 weeks later...