Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Northernlight

Ogem mount - still vapour-ware or have they started shipping

Hi all,

Been out of the loop for a few months and just wondered if the jtw Ogem mount was still a mythical  beast of legendary tales or if it's actually materialized in the real world and started shipping to anyone ??

Rich.

Hope it's not a myth for a friend's sake..

Shouldn't be too long now before he recieves it.. but I'm sure he said that last month 

Yeah and the last 12 months before that.

All I can say is that people who paid for this mount are incredibly patient. I think JTW has damaged it's reputation a bit due to how long it is taking them to deliver on their promises.

It's a shame, as I really want to see this mount do well and succeed, but I just wouldn't trust a company that has given several launch dates and delivered on non of them.

I think most people would probably opt to pay more and get the new mesu 200 when it comes out, as Mesu has a reputation for quality, customer service and delivering  on his commitments.

Sorry Jtw I was rooting for you,  but now I give up.

Posted (edited)

So I've been keeping an eye on this mount for a while and they have recently posted some updates on the mount.  The reason for the additional delay is that they have moved to the Sitech Servo II controller as the FreeGo2 wasn't performing to expectations on their test mount they had at E-Eye (with OS RH200).  This has also meant they had to change some of the design so that everything works on friction surfaces to the motor.  They have sent out a movie of the mount (as attached) they have been testing (note the rough finish is because it is a test version).  According to the update I was sent they are now in the final stages of manufacturing to accommodate these changes.

Thought this might be useful for anyone wondering about the mount.

Edit does anyone know how I can resize this movie so it's not so huge?  Thanks

Edited by Whirlwind

Posted (edited)

My understanding is that there are still two configurations as was originally advertised.  You can choose to have either and is easily upgradable later to encoders if you want/need.

Edited by Whirlwind

I think it's a case of too little  to late as I think a lot of people's interest & trust have probably long faded

Apologies must check on other threads before posting 😳

Never underestimate the undertaking of design, development, testing and manufacture of any new product with firmware involvement..............today we need new manufacturers and new risk takers.  future employment for the new generations is vital!  support is needed and I for one  will purchase one......         Henry B.

Henry don't get me wrong, I fully agree with what you are saying. What I don't agree with is when said Manufacturers make claims that  they are close to completing development on a product and take people's money and hang onto it for 2 years when the truth / reality is that they were nowhere near close to completing development and were using people's money to essentially develop an idea.

I understand and support what jtw is doing as new design drives innovation and healthy competition is good for the consumer, I just don't agree with their method of execution.

What’s the deal with these new friction drive heads? What advantages do they have over traditional gearing? Are the motors geared before the final drive- would have thought they must be?

I guess the big attraction of friction drives is that they are supposed to be free of backlash, due to the lack of gears.  That said 10  micron manage perfectly well using conventional  gears / worms.

For me,  I've always wanted a direct drive mount like the ASA mounts,  but sadly ill  never afford one 🙂

I confess I ignored those valid points you have raised, I was not aware of the full facts, at my time of life I believed I knew it all!  Henry b.

28 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

I guess the big attraction of friction drives is that they are supposed to be free of backlash, due to the lack of gears.  That said 10  micron manage perfectly well using conventional  gears / worms.

I wondered if that were the case but is the motor direct driving against the ring then with no additional gearing stage? I wondered if there was an advantage to being able to slip  the gearing like a clutch? I guess it’s a bit cheaper than cutting precision worm  gears also which almost inevitably have some run out and tight spots unless they’re supremely accurately made- or backlash to compensate. Does there exist harmonic drive mounts? 

If I had paid money on the basis of the web site, I would be worried.

https://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/mounts/trident

To produce the 3D rendered drawings, you only need a drawing package, not the actual product.

If spending the best part of £4000, I would want to see some reports from users.
There are also statements that worry me. Like encoders that the client can add for himself. Not for ££ extra you can have encoders fitted.

This could well be an excellent mount. It all depends on whether you can wait for delivery. Then accept potentially the need for updates/upgrades all too often associated with new products.

If I lived 100 miles from the factory, then maybe I would go and have a look. Then depending on what I saw, I might risk the money.
But being in another country, I think I will play safe. My alter D6 still has life in it.

Apologies for the negative sounding post.

David.

I'd rather wait and see what they are like when released to the market.

I will be in position to purchase a high quality mount in 18 months or so, so time is in my favour.

I personally echo Henrys comments above, another mount with a reasonable gestation period to help iron out any issues is far more preferable to releasing something not ready. I think it is brave of JTW to take that stance.

If some people get cold feet, fair enough, we are all different.