Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ogem mount - still vapour-ware or have they started shipping

Yeah and the last 12 months before that.

All I can say is that people who paid for this mount are incredibly patient. I think JTW has damaged it's reputation a bit due to how long it is taking them to deliver on their promises.

It's a shame, as I really want to see this mount do well and succeed, but I just wouldn't trust a company that has given several launch dates and delivered on non of them.

I think most people would probably opt to pay more and get the new mesu 200 when it comes out, as Mesu has a reputation for quality, customer service and delivering  on his commitments.

Sorry Jtw I was rooting for you,  but now I give up.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been keeping an eye on this mount for a while and they have recently posted some updates on the mount.  The reason for the additional delay is that they have moved to the Sitech Servo II controller as the FreeGo2 wasn't performing to expectations on their test mount they had at E-Eye (with OS RH200).  This has also meant they had to change some of the design so that everything works on friction surfaces to the motor.  They have sent out a movie of the mount (as attached) they have been testing (note the rough finish is because it is a test version).  According to the update I was sent they are now in the final stages of manufacturing to accommodate these changes.

Thought this might be useful for anyone wondering about the mount.

Edit does anyone know how I can resize this movie so it's not so huge?  Thanks

Edited by Whirlwind

My understanding is that there are still two configurations as was originally advertised.  You can choose to have either and is easily upgradable later to encoders if you want/need.

Edited by Whirlwind

• 3 weeks later...

Never underestimate the undertaking of design, development, testing and manufacture of any new product with firmware involvement..............today we need new manufacturers and new risk takers.  future employment for the new generations is vital!  support is needed and I for one  will purchase one......         Henry B.

Henry don't get me wrong, I fully agree with what you are saying. What I don't agree with is when said Manufacturers make claims that  they are close to completing development on a product and take people's money and hang onto it for 2 years when the truth / reality is that they were nowhere near close to completing development and were using people's money to essentially develop an idea.

I understand and support what jtw is doing as new design drives innovation and healthy competition is good for the consumer, I just don't agree with their method of execution.

I guess the big attraction of friction drives is that they are supposed to be free of backlash, due to the lack of gears.  That said 10  micron manage perfectly well using conventional  gears / worms.

For me,  I've always wanted a direct drive mount like the ASA mounts,  but sadly ill  never afford one 🙂

28 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

I guess the big attraction of friction drives is that they are supposed to be free of backlash, due to the lack of gears.  That said 10  micron manage perfectly well using conventional  gears / worms.

I wondered if that were the case but is the motor direct driving against the ring then with no additional gearing stage? I wondered if there was an advantage to being able to slip  the gearing like a clutch? I guess it’s a bit cheaper than cutting precision worm  gears also which almost inevitably have some run out and tight spots unless they’re supremely accurately made- or backlash to compensate. Does there exist harmonic drive mounts? 

If I had paid money on the basis of the web site, I would be worried.

https://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/mounts/trident

To produce the 3D rendered drawings, you only need a drawing package, not the actual product.

If spending the best part of £4000, I would want to see some reports from users.
There are also statements that worry me. Like encoders that the client can add for himself. Not for ££ extra you can have encoders fitted.

This could well be an excellent mount. It all depends on whether you can wait for delivery. Then accept potentially the need for updates/upgrades all too often associated with new products.

If I lived 100 miles from the factory, then maybe I would go and have a look. Then depending on what I saw, I might risk the money.
But being in another country, I think I will play safe. My alter D6 still has life in it.

Apologies for the negative sounding post.

David.

I'd rather wait and see what they are like when released to the market.

I will be in position to purchase a high quality mount in 18 months or so, so time is in my favour.

I personally echo Henrys comments above, another mount with a reasonable gestation period to help iron out any issues is far more preferable to releasing something not ready. I think it is brave of JTW to take that stance.

If some people get cold feet, fair enough, we are all different.

• 4 months later...

I asked directly to them how many have been made and how many are delivered and in use as there's no feedback.. concerned for a friend as the odd bit pops up on Facebook but very little on the Trident

The first batch is 10 units, only a small number of these have shipped locally to ensure proper operation before we release the rest. There are no issues and the rest of the batch is now being finished. We have components for another 40 units in stock. Here is a typical guide graph from a Trident mount.

FB_IMG_1575227429005.jpg

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

To be fair to NovaTJ, the mounts were supposed to be shipping a year ago, and there just seems to be a constant stream of excuses why they haven't shipped yet, and the standard response over the last year is that they are shipping soon, but that always seems to be half past never, so i think NovaTJ has every right to be concerned.

In my mind JTW has lost all credibility as mark has made all kinds of promises on pricing and mount delivery times and delivered on none of them, and this coupled with a spotty reputation for poor Quality control and customer service on some of his previous products, then this does not bode well for the future.

In all honesty, i'm not even sure why anyone would entertain this mount as the price has crept up so high, i think it's within about £500 of the price of a Mesu mount which is a tried an tested solution with superb customer support from Mesu. Whilst i was rooting for JTW and this new mount, i think the damage is done and personally wouldn't trust JTW, until they start delivery on their promises and we start seeing some positive customer service reviews.

Sorry, i know it might seem a bit harsh, but that's just my 2 cents based on the fact 2 years later nobody has a mount in their hands despite what JTW might have you believe. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're not doing themselves any favours... seems like they used customers money to fund whatever and none out in the public domain to give any opinions..

A friend has one on order, fully paid for way back in June , thought he was mad to say he won't see it before Christmas but with Christmas upon us it seems like he's right.... he says they're really bad at answering emails.. hope it's not just hot air..for his sake..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think it's hot air, they are creating a mount, but essentially selling customers a lie and using the money to fund development of their design and will then use those full paying customers as beta testers.

Based on trade description laws, What they have done is borderline illegal and completely immoral at best as they didn't actually have a product to sell. Usually no news is good news but not in this case. They have been very quiet, so this suggests to me that they have hit more problems. Let's just hope they start delivering soon, but I have a bad feeling  about it.

I stepped out in the beginning of this year for personal reasons. It took me a while, but in the end I got all my money back. But I do understand people getting worried. It takes forever it seems. I know Mark personally, and I do know he is very good in what he does, but communication is not one of his best treats I'm afraid. I have no idea how things are going currently. Haven't been in touch for quite a while, but I really hope he can make this work. Because I'm sure if it does, it will be good... I'll keep my fingers crossed for everybody.