Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ogem mount - still vapour-ware or have they started shipping

1 hour ago, whipdry said:

I think most people reading this would be more interested in the goto/platesolve & guiding accuracy... not so much in the pictures as they only tell part of the story leaning towards the scopes performance! 

Sorry to have disappointed you, but my setup is not in Chile and therefore observable nights are very rare. I just wanted to show the first tests. Concerning the Goto, the targets are each time in the field of the imager. Some adjustments with the flat solving of APT (Astro Photography Tools) which I personally like and I am ready. And since I only do astrophotography, I don't do 50 goto per night. I just want to make this mount known, say that it exists. I am neither paid by JTW Astronomy, nor by any mount test or comparison organization. Give me an example on a forum of a mount that has been thoroughly tested ... I searched for example on the EQ8-R which interested me and I did not find much and even less with its encode absolute.
Once again sorry. The title of this post being "ogem-mount-still-vapor-ware-or-have-they-started-shipping" I just wanted to answer it and I think this post can be closed now.

Alain

Edited by dahle

On 15/09/2021 at 07:13, han59 said:

Does it work?  Looking to your picture, your polar axis seems to be set for the northern part of Europe. Not for the south of France ???

Yes, I am in the far north of France, on the edge of Belgium. This mount works fine and is fine for me. this Trident mount is perfectly associated with the Onstep controller.

1 hour ago, whipdry said:

I think most people reading this would be more interested in the goto/platesolve & guiding accuracy... not so much in the pictures as they only tell part of the story leaning towards the scopes performance! 

.... Continued .... I agree that further testing would be a plus, but unfortunately I don't have the time and weather necessary. The current tests are fine with me (of course I'm improving) for what I'm doing. Other buyers may be able to meet your expectations 😉

Sorry also for my english !

Alain

Edited by dahle

Alain,

For this topic a guiding graph in arcseconds will be most interesting. Furhermore slew to accuracy. So if you slew 90 degrees or so in RA, are you on the correct location?

Many times in the past years performance test data was promised but never released and excuses ware made. So many readers are very curious how this mount performs in your setup. There is somehow a cloud of secrecy around this mount. If it performs well, there is no reason not to release some performance data.

This was specified on march 2018 or earlier:

The OGEM has come through testing with flying colours. We can guarantee tracking error of < 0.2 arcseconds with guiding and if you upgrade to absolute encoders you will get this same performance without guiding. Mount functions as GOTO and can also be used as a push-to with the absolute encoders. The mount will never lose it's position with the absolute encoders fitted."

Han

Edited by han59

2 hours ago, han59 said:

For this topic a guiding graph in arcseconds will be most interesting. Furhermore slew to accuracy. So if you slew 90 degrees or so in RA, are you on the correct location?

Many times in the past years performance test data was promised but never released and excuses ware made. So many readers are very curious how this mount performs in your setup. There is somehow a cloud of secrecy around this mount. If it performs well, there is no reason not to release some performance data.

This was specified on march 2018 or earlier:

I have to leave 3 weeks. As soon as I return, I will try to give more data about this Trident mount. But as I said my site hardly lends itself to doing extensive tests with a seeing of 2" to 4" and Schmidt Cassegrain or short scope would be much better than a Newton of 1200mm long! concerning the 2018 data... Mark of JTW had to completely review the mount so that it could have these theoretical data and that’s why it is no longer called OGEM, but Trident which explains in part this expectation.

while waiting for a 180 "photo taken without guidance. 54.72 'x 37.24' field
X: 0.7922 "/ px
Y: 0.7918 "/ px

DERIVE_Single__2021-09-13_02-01-17_Bin2x2_180s__-10C (Copier).jpg

Edited by dahle

• 4 weeks later...

It's good to see these mounts finally shipping after some many years of delays and design changes.  I really hope the mount performs well, so people are rewarded for their patience.   Looking forward to seeing some real world guiding and point accuracy numbers.

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 20:14, Michael Hogan said:

Im back after giving them misery these mounts are reeally starting to lash out now 2-3 a month on facebook they are for real very similar to Mesu

Are you basing your reply  on FB information, 2-3 per month???  

Real world numbers say not so... But hopefully mark will kick himself up the Arris and get these mounts out, get some performance figures out in the real world and reward those that have waited so patiently for so long.. then it will give confidence for others to buy without the extreme waiting time involved... Hope that time is very soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 14:18, newbie alert said:

So was it shipped Mr Nova...?

lol, that is the biggest joke ever! sorry, excuse me for laughing. if I don't, I will find myself booking a ticket to the Netherlands to pay a visit in person.

We was told 3 weeks ago to expect an email from the courier and I've lost count how many times i have purged my junk folder in the hope of finding something positive from my investment I made 3 YEARS ago ( march 30th 2019) 

I have no doubt we will receive a mount at all. my doubt is what year it will be.  

I was a believer all those years ago, now i am just a sceptic. 

19 hours ago, phill76 said:

lol, that is the biggest joke ever! sorry, excuse me for laughing. if I don't, I will find myself booking a ticket to the Netherlands to pay a visit in person.

We was told 3 weeks ago to expect an email from the courier and I've lost count how many times i have purged my junk folder in the hope of finding something positive from my investment I made 3 YEARS ago ( march 30th 2019) 

I have no doubt we will receive a mount at all. my doubt is what year it will be.  

I was a believer all those years ago, now i am just a sceptic. 

Hope you get delivery soon Phil, it’s been a long journey for you.

On 20/04/2022 at 11:51, Neil27 said:

Hope you get delivery soon Phil, it’s been a long journey for you.

Thanks Neil.

Today I actually received some tracking numbers, they are not active yet but I'm hoping it wont be much longer now. its been quite a journey that's for sure!

i will let you all know when i have it 

On 18/04/2022 at 09:18, newbie alert said:

So was it shipped Mr Nova...?

Ha Ha!!!!  Nope!  So we will see how long this will take.  Maybe it is aboard the Everforward container ship that was stuck in the mud for the last three weeks in the Chesapeake Bay!

8 hours ago, NovaTJ said:

Ha Ha!!!!  Nope!  So we will see how long this will take.  Maybe it is aboard the Everforward container ship that was stuck in the mud for the last three weeks in the Chesapeake Bay!

That's one excuse that mark hasn't used yet, don't give him ideas...

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, NovaTJ said:

That post was from April 23, 2022....guess what...It's July 23rd and still no mount! Vaporware!

At least you're coming around to not believing a word mark says.. or has he found something else that he forgot to do..

The solution would have been to make and test the thing in the first place... Not 3 years down the line and still have people's money wrapped up in a idea..