SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ogem mount - still vapour-ware or have they started shipping

18 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of curiosity, when is a payload of, say, 25kg not enough? For a single scope say. Surely 25kg would be enough for a 6 inch frac or a 12 inch newt?

14" RASA?  Over 30kg for the bare tube, I think.  Not 100% sure I'd want one though.

A C14 is probably pushing 25kg as well if you add camera, filter wheel, secondary focuser, perhaps a motor for the focuser, perhaps a finder and all the associated gubbins.

James

4 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Gorr_77,

I spoke to manufacturer directly about the E.Fric mount and the 30kg limit and there are some caveats to that 30kg.

for Imaging I was told that the 30kg limit was for Pier mounted "Compact" scope - but for other configurations such a big Newts then the Max imaging payload would be 24-25kg.  Not entirely sure what constitutes as a compact scope, maybe RC's / SCT's etc.

Rich

Astro-physics have a diagram on their site showing how size affects the capability of a mount.

https://www.astro-physics.com/mach2gto

Although I have no evidence I wouldn't be surprised if the profile isn't similar for all mounts (just proportion it to 30kg rather then 35kg of the Mach2).

37 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of curiosity, when is a payload of, say, 25kg not enough? For a single scope say. Surely 25kg would be enough for a 6 inch frac or a 12 inch newt

Really depends on length of scope. A 12" f6 newt will not necessarily weigh much more than a 12"f4 newt, but will put a lot more strain on the mount due to lever arm moment.

My 220mm f7.5 newt is nearly 6ft long and only weighs about 13kg, but most of that weight is at the ends. I'd probbaly need a 50kg rated mount to do any real DSO work with it. My EQ6 barely holds it still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of curiosity, when is a payload of, say, 25kg not enough? For a single scope say. Surely 25kg would be enough for a 6 inch frac or a 12 inch newt?

David newts cab get very heavy  - e.g. the TS 12" F5 carbon tube weights 22kg, a steel variant could be 2-3kg heavier and that's before you get the tube rings on or add your imaging train. So that one scope could push you over your imaging limit of the E.Fric mount, let alone wanting add smaller scopes on top of newt. I suppose it's all down to what you want to image with. For a lot of people it will be great, but a lot of other it wont be.

Edited by Northernlight

6 hours ago, Gorr_77 said:

I have some more news from USA dealers regarding - JTW:  to be shipped/ sold as of June - this year!! -26bit encoders.

Well i would like to see it happen - lets see if this is the final date and lets hope that it doesn't get pushed back any further. Whilst i wouldn't personally buy one i am keen to see how this mount performs in comparison to the competition.

Edited by Northernlight

15 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

My Officina Stellare 320 CRC is 28 Kg with the focuser. With everything on it (camera, filterwheel, OAG, etc) is close to 32 Kg

Mihaighita,

Out of curiosity - isn't  the AP SWL for GM1000 25kg?

I've seen someone on youtube with RASA 36 on it being very happy....?

ALso i've found new Gemini guiding:

345895261_GuidingE_Fric.jpg.75c7ed4a71e07b9e6a12447c672b11e7.jpg

mount is for sale right now - but only 30kg for AP - so no no for you :)

JTW - i thought that it will be all in one color  - who knows..:(

Greg

8 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Nice - expensive taste in gear

Just opportunity. The scope was second hand at a fraction of it's original price. It was kind of a dream come true turned into nightmare (I am still strugling to have officina stellare re-coat the primary, reset the distance between the mirrors and send me an o-ring that keeps the corrector at the proper distance in the baffle tube in order to cover an aps-c sensor). But as I learned with the Mesu and basically every other piece of equipment I have for astrophotography, patience and calm is the key to success...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

Mihaighita,

Out of curiosity - isn't  the AP SWL for GM1000 25kg?

I've seen someone on youtube with RASA 36 on it being very happy....?

ALso i've found new Gemini guiding:

345895261_GuidingE_Fric.jpg.75c7ed4a71e07b9e6a12447c672b11e7.jpg

mount is for sale right now - but only 30kg for AP - so no no for you :)

JTW - i thought that it will be all in one color  - who knows..:(

Greg

I tried a GSO 250 RC on it and I did not like the way it was guiding. And that was a 27kg payload... GM1000 is a marvel but you have play within it's limits and with a very very stiff payload. For peak performance it will need a sky model and without a stiff payload you will never, ever have a reliable model. But put a good refractor on it and it's not going to skip a beat. I am using it these days only when I travel to my parents house in a bortle 1-2 area and paired with my FSQ i've done 1 hour unguided on it without any problem. 

Hmmmm,

Still heavy, can you split gm1000- 18kg? i don't recolet you can, 

JTW - 19kg? - don't know the latest version ...but if yes, it looks like it will be several bolts holding it together - so, will be there a loss in stiffness ?under heavy weight? Yes - but not noticable, i guess...so less doses of IBUPROFEN :)

On 22/04/2020 at 19:41, Skipper Billy said:

I have a serious grievance with my Mesu - and it has not been resolved.

It is the most boring mount I have ever owned. I switch it on and it guides at ~0.4" total RMS all night long - every night.

I am going to have to find something else to adjust backlash on and convert to belt drive and mess bout adjusting and greasing with snake oil etc to occupy my time.

There is no fun in this - it's really not good enough 😉 

as you are not that far up the road from me, I am happy to up-lift for disposal FOC

Only because of favour you did me with the Quattro 4 CF 

• Haha 1

well the premise still stand, you're probably not blonde, your probably not a lady and your probably miles away  - So like i said out of grasp just like the GM2000 - Sob, sob, sob 😄

So I'm stuck with my EQ8 and all the joys associated with it's backlash.

Edited by Northernlight
  • Like 1

The mount you have to see it to believe it the adjustment knobs are so easy to turn yet very strong not like Ioptron pound shop quality where if you tighten them too much you know they could snap off

and you have to tighten them with allen key to keep alignment the gears i have it set to 10 arc second that's medium speed 😂 20 arc seconds is just insane and you can put 90-100 lbs of scope on

you would still get 35-45 mins unguided subs if well-balanced i still believe on ASA DDM85 is a match for 10 Micron as for all the rest it crushes all before it yet ASA DDM85 only slews at 13 arc second

this is why i just said no dont give in the MX+ is great but the 1100 GTO great but and once they know you have the money they are all hounding you with emails it was a strange feeling having that power 😂

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Just right too, it's a balance between spending money on material stuff versus holidays etc.

decent income, but, family first

hence, always skint - particularly since grandson arrived on the scene - SWMBO runs up at least £200pm on toys. Over 5 years........ that's my 10Micron :)

but, especially, these days - keeping him occupied so his mum can work is prime focus

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Just right too, it's a balance between spending money on material stuff versus holidays etc.

I have three children im just gone 40 this is why i got it now cause i knew later on i would be able too with 11 year old 7 and 4

3 minutes ago, iapa said:

decent income, but, family first

hence, always skint - particularly since grandson arrived on the scene - SWMBO runs up at least £200pm on toys. Over 5 years........ that's my 10Micron :)

but, especially, these days - keeping him occupied so his mum can work is prime focus

I come from working class family and poverty but today my own family and mother and father and seven brothers and sisters are lower middle class in UK

we would be probably be middle class as Ireland is much wealthier that England by living standard

I really hope the OGEM works out lets hope UK has its very own English Planewave Instruments style company starts off small then turns into a power house Astronomy company

remember Planewave Instruments was nothing in 2008 they had one EQ mount Ascension 200 and 20 CDK and many people wanting their money back.

Edited by Michael Hogan

23 minutes ago, Ant said:

I assume you guys have read the rules?

Don't be upset when posts start vanishing. 

It's already happened - several posts removed. There are one or two others remaining which are borderline.

Please re read the CoC. No religion - couldn't be clearer!

• Like 2