Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for quality 8X42 ED binoculars

Hi I had chance to look through some Leica trinovid 8X42 bins recently for both daytime and astro use(thanks Olly Penrice).  I have some Helios Apollo 15X70 which are great for astro but not great for daytime use due to their weight etc. Hence, I want some quality 8 x 42 bins.  I'm prepared to spend a decent amount (up to £350 ish) but don't want to spend that if I can get something of trinovid quality views for less.  I want them for both daytime and astro use and I'm looking for very crisp views during the day time. I wear glasses while using them so need 16mm eye relief minimum.

Looking to develop a short list of options that will not disappoint. Any ideas based on experience of what models I should short list?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I was in a similar situation in that I wanted something light for daylight use and having tried out a few brands in my local outlet I plumped for Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x30, they’re light and very sharp

I know that this particular model does not meet your requirements as regards magnification and eye relief but they also do a S7 8x42 which could be worth a look.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/sport-optics/binoculars/prostaff/prostaff-7s-8x42#overview

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, neilm said:

Hi Steve,

I was in a similar situation in that I wanted something light for daylight use and having tried out a few brands in my local outlet I plumped for Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x30, they’re light and very sharp

I know that this particular model does not meet your requirements as regards magnification and eye relief but they also do a S7 8x42 which could be worth a look.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/sport-optics/binoculars/prostaff/prostaff-7s-8x42#overview

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil. 

Hi Steve, 

I picked up a nice pair of Helios LightWing HR 8x42s from @Lockie earlier this year.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-lightwing-hr-42mm-binoculars.html

They are lovely binoculars and a big step up from the Naturesport 10x50s.  I've not noticed and CA observing astro targets but I did notice it last week when observing Sandwich Terns against very bright reflective water. 

Not sure they're quite up to Leica quality views but then they're also nowhere near the price. 

You shouldn't look through such Optics Steve, you know its bound to be bad for your bank balance 😂

That's why I've so far avoided looking through anything green and black or anything containing "Tak" in the name. 

Edited by AdeKing
Correcting Autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have 8+42 ED Celestron Granites. Very crisp views. I use with the eyecups up and my partner keeps their glasses on and uses with eyecups down. They are pretty light too when comparing specifications.

The lens end caps do flap so we usually remove them as they are slightly annoying!

• Like 1

My Bresser Everest ED 8x42 are the same as the celestron granites, just a bit cheaper (€125 less). I bought them on recommendations from bird watcher forums. Good binoculars, the dealer bought a pair for himself after we looked through them.

But it was a few years back there may be better options today. Check the bird forums.

• Like 1

+1 for the Leica 8x42 binos Steve!. I have a pair of these and also a 77mm Leica televid apo scope which has the best optics I've ever used. The first time I actually saw colour in stars was with this!. If Leica ever made astro scopes mmmmnm...... but oh dear the price 😳.

Steve

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

+1 for the Leica 8x42 binos Steve!. I have a pair of these and also a 77mm Leica televid apo scope which has the best optics I've ever used. The first time I actually saw colour in stars was with this!. If Leica ever made astro scopes mmmmnm...... but oh dear the price 😳.

Steve

There are a few versions of the Leica BN or BA which do you have?

Thanks for your input so far folks it’s helped. I think based on research so far  it’s between the Leica and the Nikon Monarch 7. Does anyone have a Nikon Monarch 7 who could give an opinion?

steve 

8 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Thanks for your input so far folks it’s helped. I think based on research so far  it’s between the Leica and the Nikon Monarch 7. Does anyone have a Nikon Monarch 7 who could give an opinion?

steve 

I've made this comparison back to back. The Nikons were sharper and more contrasty, which sounds like a clear bonus and in some ways was. However, the Leicas gave a more natural view, significantly so to my eye. With three of us involved in the test it came out as a dead heat, one for the Nikons, one for the Leicas and one undecided. Hey, that's a big help!  The Leicas of mine which you tried were eleven years old when I bought them about five years ago. I don't know how significant that is.

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've made this comparison back to back. The Nikons were sharper and more contrasty, which sounds like a clear bonus and in some ways was. However, the Leicas gave a more natural view, significantly so to my eye. With three of us involved in the test it came out as a dead heat, one for the Nikons, one for the Leicas and one undecided. Hey, that's a big help!  The Leicas of mine which you tried were eleven years old when I bought them about five years ago. I don't know how significant that is.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I did love the Leica’s. I think it’s between the Nikon and the Leica. 

In the end it might come down to price. New Nikon’s are about £400, cant find many used ones yet. Leica’s are about £100 more used - so far. 

Thanks for your input though

steve

Hello,
I had a Nikon M7 8X42 a few months ago for a week, to test them, and they have seemed to me very solid binoculars, especially I have been able to use them to observe birds, plans, and landscapes ... and I liked them a lot , especially its luminosity, and also its grip and ease of use ... very light and with a clean image, great field although not completely corrected to the edges ..., curiously I had many years ago a green Leica 10X42 BN, with a very uncomfortable grip, for my taste, very heavy, I think they were about 890 grams .. but with an excellent image, with a microcontrast out of series ..
In relation to astronomical observation unfortunately I had some very cloudy nights and little I could see through the M7 ...
Tico

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 11:22, Trikeflyer said:

steve 

I have a pair of Monarch 5 8 x 42mm binoculars. Very nice to use and sharp. Easy to hold and light enough to use with one hand if required. Its my goto binocular for having a quick look around and for daytime use. The quick focus is amazing. The M7s have a wider field of view again.

Edited by Limerick John
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have some very nice Leica ultravid 8x32's which I bought secondhand and used for about five years and sold them for almost what I paid for them. If you can afforded it good preowned optics will hold their value, I made the mistake of looking through some Swarovski 8.5 x 42 Swarovisions and then nothing else would do 😄

Mel

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 21:15, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Now look at what you made me do! To quote a different Olly 😉

IMG_20190810_163823.thumb.jpg.d57d46c2e26d3476ed2ea28abe293a61.jpg

Found these for €299, in perfect condition, with box and all paperwork at a local camera store. Had a look through them and fell in love with the crisp views. Hope to test them under the stars tonight, even though they will mainly be used for bird watching.

• Like 4

Michael,

I’m Keen to know how the Monarch 7s perform as they are currently my number 1 target binocular for day and night time use.  The Leica’s Olly penrice has are amazing though and my choice is between these two.

Steve 

8 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Michael,

I’m Keen to know how the Monarch 7s perform as they are currently my number 1 target binocular for day and night time use.  The Leica’s Olly penrice has are amazing though and my choice is between these two.

Steve 

I have had a chance to test them under the stars, and really like them. The Vixen New Foresta 10x56 beats them in terms of brightness of the image (77.8% more light, or 0.625 magnitudes deeper is a big deal), but on the moon the improved control of CA is clearly there. I was very impressed with the correction over the field. I will write a more comprehensive report later.

• Thanks 1

Helios Lightwing ED's are phenomenal value for money. Wonderfully sharp and contrasty across 90%. I have looked through Leica in the daytime and they are not that much better to justify the price if you ask me. Then again, if you have the money spare and value every % increase in quality, then why not. I'm just saying you could buy the LightWing ED's and have enough left over for a slap up meal in Mrs Miggins pie shop (Black Adder quote, just incase you think I've gone nuts :D

• Like 1