Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxim issues - time to switch software?

Helen

I've been using maxim as my main capture/guiding software for many years.  I'm still running v5.

I've been having more and more problems recently, including lots of non-connection, erroneous reporting of whether cooler is on, not downloading, hanging etc

I am fed up having to continually reboot just to get it working for a while!

So I'm thinking of changing capture, focus and guiding software.  It needs to work with atik and zwo.

What is currently recommended?

Thanks

Helen

SGP I guess although there are others available, I'm currently swopping between Maxim V.6  and SGP, it's a bit of a learning curve but as always there are plenty of folk on here using it so lots of help available.

Dave

Are you sure these aren’t USB connection issues that you are experiencing rather than software issues? I had loads of USB connection issues that seem to have reduced following the use of an electrical component damp protection spray on the USB connectors. 

2 hours ago, Helen said:

Thanks both - will look at those ?

Any other options anyone?

Helen

I'm surprised you are having Issues with Maxim Helen.
One of our finest Steve Richards swears by Maxim, and look what he has achieved..
Even I have had no trouble with my devices connecting without any glitches. Atik314L+, Loadstar Guide camera, ZWO Mini Filter wheel. And a JMI Focuser
all working flawlessly. Ascom drivers only too.  
All are connected via a USB powered  Hub, supplied from my laptop using a 5 Metre USB Cable . 
Hope you can get things sorted.
Ron.

Hi Helen,

I use both SGPro and MaximDL V5.24 as I run a dual scope set-up. I have had no issues over the years with Maxim software but have had issues with usb cables failing and not being recognised. I do use a Startech 12v powered usb2 hub and not had disconnect issues since, other than usb cables. I do use Belkin or Startech cables and they are all less than 3 metres long.

Steve

Thanks All ?

I'm using a Pegasus Ultimate box, so that should be robust, despite being heavily loaded.  I'll check my usb leads, and swap out if necessary.

I'll also give NINA a try. 

I've got Astroart - I've used in the past for capture and guiding, and still use it for some comet analysis as it does nice profiles ?  Again worth experimenting.

@barkisRon, yes, when it works it is great!  Just frustrating when it suddenly doesn't when nothing has changed ?.  I'm really pleased you're all set up now ?

Thanks again all - watch this space for updates (but I'm off to Kelling so it could take a few weeks!)

Helen

31 minutes ago, blinky said:

I would suggest looking at the USB cables and power - I used to have issues with my QHY8 and Maxim but it was always down to the USB cable, the socket, the hub or the power supply!

I think I'll start by separating the USB/power cables for my cameras from the peripherals...

Helen

Have a look at APT.  

Also, there are free alternatives like KStars/Ekos and IndiGo. 

That said I agree with others that the issues you describe seem more likely to be caused by USB connection or power connection problems.

Hope you have a great time at Kelling Helen.   I may have all my stuff singing and dancing connection wise, but my prowess as an imager has still to be tested. Once I'm confident enough in that discipline, Kelling will become more attractive to me, especially as the A1 has undergone many improvements. I do hope to get to Lucksall again too.

Regards to Mike.

Ron.

Archived