Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Stu

Venus, Jupiter and crescent moon...

Ahead of tomorrow's main event, these three are looking lovely this morning despite being further apart. Incase it is cloudy tomorrow, well worth a look right now!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looked good!

20190130_070705-01.jpeg

• Like 9

That's a nice picture Stu.  I did exactly the same thing for the same reason, but in my case when I looked out of the bedroom window when the alarm went off it was cloudy and there was more snow on the ground.  Still, it won't stop me setting the alarm again for tomorrow morning :smile:.

• Like 2

Thanks Paul. That is my view as I come out of the front door so I do quite often see nice events as I leave for work. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Lovely view this morning. The pairing of Venus and Jupiter in the dawn sky has been a real treat recently and even better now that the moon has joined in. All visible from the warmth of my living room too! 

Hope it’s clear tomorrow 

• Like 2

I briefly contemplated going back in to get my camera as I got on my bike this morning at 7:15, but I was slightly late so didn't - thanks for the pic.

Magnus

thanks for the heads up Stu, just checked Stellarium and the moon will be sitting in between Venus and Jupiter!

• Like 1

Walked out with the dogs at about 4 and it was cloudy.

Then again at 6 and it was clear!!!

Got my camera ready, but decided to eat something to kill the caffeine from my coffee, only to walk back out to find it clouded over again.

3 hours ago, Sleepy Kiki said:

thanks for the heads up Stu, just checked Stellarium and the moon will be sitting in between Venus and Jupiter!

Yep, there is a heads up in the calendar for tomorrow too! :)

Looking great from here - phone snap for now, will see what the DSLR has produced when I have time later.  

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

• Like 3

A lovely sight this morning, a few from me.

20190131_065639.jpg

20190131_065653.jpg

20190131_065734.jpg

• Like 5

Nice captures Stu, Kerry and Ludd ?

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2

It was nice to greeted by a clear sky,

Venus, The Moon and Jupiter together with a hard frost and sunrise. Earthshine too.

Wonderful stuff brought a big grin on.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

Lovely pictures Stu, I love the first one over the trees particularly :smile:.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1

Got lucky. Didn’t know it was happening but just happened to be up early. Only had my phone with me...

0210B1EF-F264-448A-B9FA-DB3DBB85F47C.jpeg

• Like 2

@Stu, I forgot to say thanks for promoting this event in advance - that's the reason I managed to get a  decent shot of it. ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@adyj1 that’s really nice. What’s the triangular structure. A digger, a gazebo type thing or a robotic giraffe?!

Love the juxtaposition of the random natural shape of the tree up against the harder artificial edges both framing the scene :)

Last Thursday morning, as leaving home around 4-30am, captured the attached

Down under everything is reversed

Moon did not work out great do to hand shake, and Samsung phones also do not like poor lighting conditions

Conjunction Venus and Moon.jpg

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 08:48, dannybgoode said:

@adyj1 that’s really nice. What’s the triangular structure. A digger, a gazebo type thing or a robotic giraffe?!

Love the juxtaposition of the random natural shape of the tree up against the harder artificial edges both framing the scene :)

Thanks @dannybgoode,

You're right, it's a robotic giraffe - no, I mean it's an arbor (garden bench with a roof.)... 

I had first lined up behind the garage on the right, but that gave a flat, featureless foreground. Luckily, ten foot to the left was this view. A fluke, really but I've learned from it ☺ 

Ady

• Like 1

On 31/01/2019 at 06:46, Ludd said:

Looking great from here - phone snap for now, will see what the DSLR has produced when I have time later.  

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

What is it I'm looking at