Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Stop it ! I'm a huge Delos fan. 8, 12, 17.3..... valiantly resisting the 10 and/or 14mm.

I haven't bought an eyepiece since yesterday (non green). The cravings shouldn't be starting yet!

Incidentally, it turns out that the Delos 17.3 is not far off being parfocal with the Ethos 21mm (another fairly recent aquisition). They work beautifully together for Galaxy hunting in my f4.7 Dob. A really unexpected bonus! ??

Enjoy the new gourmet toys.

Paul

• Like 3

Very subtle update of mine: the Morpheus 14mm has been replaced by a Delos 14mm.

IMAG0830.thumb.jpg.90ab32c1db2d173dddac6

Top row: Vixen LVW 42mm, Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust", Nagler 22T4, H-beta and moon filter, Orion 2" 90° Amici prism

Second row: Nagler 17T4, Delos 14mm, Nagler 12T4.

Third row: Pentax XW 10mm, Delos 8mm, Pentax XW 7mm, MaxVision 24mm 68°

Bottom row: Pentax XW 5mm, Denkmeier Filter-Switch diagonal with UHC and O-III filters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very subtle update of mine: the Morpheus 14mm has been replaced by a Delos 14mm.

IMAG0830.thumb.jpg.90ab32c1db2d173dddac6

Top row: Vixen LVW 42mm, Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust", Nagler 22T4, H-beta and moon filter, Orion 2" 90° Amici prism

Second row: Nagler 17T4, Delos 14mm, Nagler 12T4.

Third row: Pentax XW 10mm, Delos 8mm, Pentax XW 7mm, MaxVision 24mm 68°

Bottom row: Pentax XW 5mm, Denkmeier Filter-Switch diagonal with UHC and O-III filters.

You wouldn't wear glasses by any chance :)

6 hours ago, Kef9 said:

Joking aside how does the Vixen perform. I know it's the widest fov possible in a 2" barrel but whats it like in an f5 scope at the edge. I've always been mildly tempted!

I do wear glasses and have astigmatism. The LVW 42mm works very nicely at F/6 in my 80mm APM triplet, but I haven't tried it at F/5. At F/6 the exit pupil is 7mm, at F/5 it becomes 8.4mm, which is a bit much. It would be great if your eyes look like thistarsier.jpg

:D

• Like 3

On 2/21/2016 at 11:47, YKSE said:

Nice case, Michael!

People do use EP with large exit pupils as here (10.4mm!), my guess is that with large aperture, light grasp is not an issue, while TFOV can be a more precious commodity.:smiley:

I have used a 31T5 at an exit pupil of 7.56mm which worked, even if you might lose some light. When using the LVW 42mm in the same F/4.1 scope you get an exit pupil of 10.25mm. Assuming your pupils dilate to 7mm you are cutting down the light cone to F/6, so you would not really be testing the EP at F/4.2.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have used a 31T5 at an exit pupil of 7.56mm which worked, even if you might lose some light. When using the LVW 42mm in the same F/4.1 scope you get an exit pupil of 10.25mm. Assuming your pupils dilate to 7mm you are cutting down the light cone to F/6, so you would not really be testing the EP at F/4.2.

Thanks Michael, that's very good to know. so there're actually more, even though small, advantages in using EPs with large exit pupils:happy3:

yes, it is Steve, but I'm not sure it has a place now that i have the Es 82• 24mm. But like you say, lovely eyepiece and I don't think I'm ready to let it go just yet.

I got the Omegons from an Astro show last year - you can get them from astroshop.eu, I think they are 2 for 1 at the moment, I'm also pretty sure they are the same eyepiece as the lightwave series. They were pretty good, especially the 18mm, but i found the Morpheus gave a darker background, so I've moved them on to fund that.

I know what its like Lee, having just changed my scope, I am now suffering serious eyepiece collection ocd here atm, have move along 3 eyepieces but have ended up buying another 4 :shocked::help:, hahaha pictures to follow.

PS, we both need to update our signatures i think 

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Mak - that's a very nice and diverse binoviewer eyepiece collection. Which EPs do you think best work for lunar/planetary binoviewing? I'm not necessarily talking about cost here - just which of your pairs brings out the 3d qualities of binos most effectively? 

Thanks. After some experimentation I have arrived at these magnifications for my 102mm Mak. Bearing in mind I'm going to be using these eyepieces in a 235mm SCT soon as well though.

No Barlow                      1.6x                 2x

AH 12.5mm Ortho                     104x                         166x                 208x
TV  15mm  Plossl                       87x                          139x                 173x
BC  18mm   Ortho                      72x                        115.5x                144x
WO 20mm  SWAN                     65x                          104x                 130x
AH 25mm Ortho                         52x                           83x                  104x
BC 32mm Plossl                         41x

The 12.5mm ortho's, depending on which nosepiece Barlow (1.6x, 2x) I use will give me the most powerful views. The 12.5mm is comfortable to use and give a sharp, 'contrasty' view, as do the other orthoscopics. The 208x gives me an exit pupil of 0.5mm.

Depending on conditions, my usual high power combination choice would be the 12.5mm's with either the 2x or 1.6x Barlow. Then, depending on how I feel or the general seeing, I would use the 18mm BCO's with the 2x Barlow for 144x. High enough to see planetary detail with the ortho contrast tones. I'm guessing I'll be using them a lot with a bigger telescope.

The BCO 18mm gives 50° FOV as opposed to the 42° of the Astro Hutech’s, which makes locating targets easier marginally. The TeleVue 15mm's give an excellent 'warm' view. I can't decide which are the best out of these, they both (Plossl & ortho') have their attributes. I particularly like the high contrast cool tones of the ortho's in combination with a Baader Neodymium filter. 

I'm not so enthusiastic about the wide angle 20mm SWAN's and prefer them as a lower power alternative for open clusters or objects like M42. Having said that, I'm more likely to deploy the 25mm AH ortho's or the 32mm Baader Plossl's for that kind of observing (with no Barlow obviously).

Here is my update. :) 

Pan 24, Delos 12, Delos 8, PM2.5x as default for TV60 and Dob. Still have the bresser sa 2x which will be handy with the dob.

Pan 24, Vixen 9 (to get s/h when comes up), Vixen 5 for ultra light grab 'n' go with the tv60 and for solar observation. These last three eps naturally fit in the tv60 bag and don't cause balancing problems with my lighter tripod (1kg). 

After moving out, I will sell my Nagler T6 13mm, 7mm, and 3.5mm. :) 

eyepiece_set.thumb.jpg.69d3e7528ae7d0b5a

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's time to fess up: I have sold my Terminagler :sad:

The final straw came when I realised at the end of SGL XI that despite arriving with ten telescopes the T5 31mm never left the eyepiece case.

The space now needs to be filled :grin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DRT said:

It's time to fess up: I have sold my Terminagler :sad:

The final straw came when I realised at the end of SGL XI that despite arriving with ten telescopes the T5 31mm never left the eyepiece case.

The space now needs to be filled :grin:

Selling a 31T5 Panzerfaust??? HERESY!!!!!! ;)