SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

It is a big case, John - at 57cm x 38cm x 19cm and 13kg fully loaded it is a bit of a lump to carry around.

...and where am I going to put my Panoptic 27mm and 35mm when I get around to finding them? :rolleyes2:

Oh dear! :icon_eek: It's a very nice case, Derek! A bit "dense" but a complete collection of Ethoi does not get unobserved!

The thing that I do not understand is how all that equipment (telescopes included) can get light. The only reason I can see is a deep interest in collecting top notch optics, like some people may have a passion for collecting ancient coins or post stamps. As time dedicated to astronomy is more or less constant, having more gear means that each component is used less. The same is true for telescopes of course. I also like to change eyepieces when observing, but the idea of changing some many eyepieces in one night would drive me crazy! :)

Maybe it's just me being too minimalist, and, thinking about, it could likely be considering that in my last 6 years in the UK all I have is 2 bags (and my astro gear could fit in one of these)... mm.. :unsure: 

4 minutes ago, Piero said:

The only reason I can see is a deep interest in collecting top notch optics, like some people may have a passion for collecting ancient coins or post stamps.

Who? Me? :rolleyes2:   :lol:

It is partly that, and partly because I have scopes with such varying characteristics ranging from an Altair Starwave 72mm ED refractor to a 16" Dob. I probably only use two or three Ethi is each scope but all of them do get used - assuming of course that there is something to look at other than clouds!!!

With my eyepieces, I have a low to medium power case and a high power case although there is currently a little overlap between them. With my 12" dob in use the 1st case is usually all I use.  I've had some sessions where I've just used 2 eyepieces all night.

The 3rd case is my "outreach" set which is just 3 eyepieces plus a couple of other bits and pieces. This last set is getting more use than all the more expensive ones to be honest !

6 minutes ago, John said:

The 3rd case is my "outreach" set which is just 3 eyepieces plus a couple of other bits and pieces. This last set is getting more use than all the more expensive ones to be honest !

Shhhhh! Don't start all that talk about not needing bazillions of expensive bits of kit - the boss might be watching!! :eek:

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that I have a lot of eyepieces, but the variety can be enjoyable. Recently I was observing M42 with my 16mm Nagler at about 81x. It looked great, but I dropped down to 54x with a 24mm Panoptic for an alternative view. Next I used a 40mm Plossl with a UHC filter for 32.5x to see more of the nebulae cloud. I finished with an immersive view right up there in the nebulae cloud at 130x with a 10mm Delos. Four very different and very enjoyable views of one target object with a 4" Mak. I think having a comprehensive eyepiece collection can add to the enjoyment of the hobby. I couldn't have had those views with the 10 and 25mm EP's that were supplied with the 4" Mak! 

Edited by Mak the Night
Brain Damage
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

Maybe I just have a simple life as both my telescopes are F6, so same eyepiece requirements, reducing gear. :) 

I have scopes with focal ratios of F4.4, F6, F6.8, F7, F7.5, F10, F15 and F16.7 and focal lengths from 350mm to 2800mm - so lots of options to use the stuff in my EP case :wink:

• Like 1

Mak - I see from your signature that you have both the 32mm and 40mm TV Plossls. I had both at one time but sold the 40mm when I learned that both of these show exactly the same area of sky, with the 40mm just being less magnification and a slightly more washed out view than the 32mm. Is there a reason why you have both?

1 minute ago, DRT said:

Mak - I see from your signature that you have both the 32mm and 40mm TV Plossls. I had both at one time but sold the 40mm when I learned that both of these show exactly the same area of sky, with the 40mm just being less magnification and a slightly more washed out view than the 32mm. Is there a reason why you have both?

I can get a 3.1mm exit pupil on my Mak with the 40mm enabling me to use a UHC filter. The 32mm is a much nicer EP to use from an ergonomic point of view if I don't utilise the UHC filter. So, I have the choice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

Plus it was the excuse I needed to collect all the TV 1.25" Plossls. :icon_biggrin:

But you don't have the 15mm?  I think you owe it to all of us to complete the set :lol:

Edited by DRT

Actually, now I've been thinking about it, the 15mm TV was the first TV Plossl I bought. It basically replaced my 15mm Celestron Omni. I acquired some Omni EP's and an Omni Barlow but later I upgraded my Barlows with the TeleVue 3x, 2x and Powermate. The compression rings in the Barlows caused the Celestron Omni Plossls to hang up on extraction as they had older undercuts (below right).

56b7e785ce4c0_1.2515mm_zpsouybwjli.JPG.f

The inexpensive 15mm Kellner was fine being a 'smoothie'. It still gets use as a finder EP. So the TV 15mm Plossl was a logical choice as it has a tapered lower undercut. Later I acquired the 11mm, 20mm and 32mm.  The 8mm and the 25mm were the next and finally the 40mm. As the 16mm Nagler essentially replaced the 15mm Plossl I decided to get another 15mm for a bino pair (the bino has compression rings). 

Edited by Mak the Night

On 06/02/2016 at 16:41, DRT said:

I have been reliably informed that my astro cases are taking up too much room in the lounge :dontknow:

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.a143d2fd46f41484dc071

I could argue that the dog's toy box sticks out further than my cases but I am not sure that will help my cause :help2:

Alternatively, your lounge is too small for the eyepiece cases

:evil6:

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:41, DRT said:

I have been reliably informed that my astro cases are taking up too much room in the lounge :dontknow:

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.a143d2fd46f41484dc071

I could argue that the dog's toy box sticks out further than my cases but I am not sure that will help my cause :help2:

I'd try to run a chain and lock that lot together...not wishing anything bad but that much money next to a door might prove tempting to local low-life...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, estwing said:

I'd try to run a chain and lock that lot together...not wishing anything bad but that much money next to a door might prove tempting to local low-life...

Only a temporary home for them last weekend whilst some decorating was going on. They are normally stored well out of sight :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 10mm Delos was my first and I agree sharp as a needle and contrasty, pretty flat field too. I spent ages comparing it with the 10mm Ethos and in the end gave up. The only reason I kept the Ethos was that I have not long since bought a large Dobsonian, tracking is somewhat easier. Great eyepieces, I still have the 4.5mm as I don't have a 4.7mm E (yet).