SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I was wondering if I would sell my 31 Nagler when I got the 21 Ethos but the Nagler does things that the Ethos can't (like show the whole of the Veil with some room to spare) so I've kept it and I'm glad I did.

If yours is not getting any use though it might as well go somewhere where it will get used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

If yours is not getting any use though it might as well go somewhere where it will get used.

My thoughts exactly, John. Every other EP apart from the E3.7 came out of the case at least once but I just never thought of reaching for the 31mm. Hopefully the new owner will make more use of it :smile:

• Like 2

Mine have changed a bit since I last posted here.

Box 1 is a Tele Vue collection: 31mm Nagler, 21mm, 13mm, 8mm, 6mm and 4.7mm Ethos and the 2mm-4mm Nagler zoom. My 2" Lumicon O-III and Omega DGM NBP filters are in there as well.

Box 2 is a short FL Pentax set: 10mm, 7mm, 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's.

Box 3 is my "outreach" set: 24mm Maxvision 68, 12mm Pentax XF, 6.7mm Meade 4000 UWA. All chosen as being relatively low cost, decent performers and, importantly, easy to look through.

box1tv.jpg

box2pentax.jpg

box3or.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 7

Mine has changed a lot too, mainly reflected by reduced numbers. I really like the Delites and get on with them in every way. I am considering exchanging the 15mm Panoptic (for a 15mm), the 17.3mm Delos (for an 18.2mm) and the Pentax 8.5mm (for a 9mm) in due course but quite happy for now, especially as such a change would probably cost £300+. This could be mitigated by a change of the 26mm Nagler for the 27mm Panoptic but I am even more hesitant to do this.

20160307_223005.jpg

• Like 1

The 27mm Pan is a wonderful eyepiece Shane. I really don't think you'd miss the Nagler that much TBH. Knowing you like the narrower AFOV I think you'd feel right at home with the pan straight away, almost like putting on an old pair of shoes :) 

9 hours ago, swamp thing said:

The 27mm Pan is a wonderful eyepiece Shane. I really don't think you'd miss the Nagler that much TBH. Knowing you like the narrower AFOV I think you'd feel right at home with the pan straight away, almost like putting on an old pair of shoes :) 

Good to know - my new 27mm Pan arrived today :grin:

Edited by DRT

On 3/15/2016 at 10:35, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

How can a case full of quality EPs not make sense? Very nice case indeed

Thanks! The part which I feel doesn't make total sense is having both a 26mm Nagler and a 25mm Plossl. And both a 11mm Nagler and a 10mm Radian. And both a Nagler 3-6 Zoom and a 3.5mm Nagler. So I guess I'm pondering selling the 25mm Plossl, the 10mm Radian, the 3.5mm Nagler, the 11mm Nagler and perhaps even the Nagler 3-6 Zoom and acquiring a 6mm Ethos - possibly to be followed by a 4.7mm Ethos... that image of an eyepiece case seems to make a bit more sense to me; whether it's in the realm of the sensible is entirely another matter :happy11:

...and of course, if the gap between 13mm and 8mm starts to itch, there's a 10mm Ethos for that...

...and a 21mm obsession to be pursued...

...and a bit of 31mm anti-tank ordinance...

I'm in serious need of therapy

Edited by iPeace

One thing that I've found with scopes that range from F/5.3 to F/7.5 is that gaps in the medium to longer focal length eyepiece range are quite Ok but I do like to "crowd" the focal lengths below 8mm to have a number of high power options.

For example I find the step from a 21mm Ethos to a 13mm Ethos quite natural. I did have a 17mm Ethos for a short while and it was a lovely eyepiece but I could see straightaway that it would not get a lot of use because I'd simply "step over" it and go straight to the 13mm most of the time.

It's only really by trying different combinations that you find this sort of thing out though and I can see that others with longer focal length scopes and maybe different viewing priorities might make different choices.

• Like 1

I've finally filled the crucial 10mm hole in the collection - another Delos, though for about 20 minutes last week I did consider the XW to mix it up a bit. One thing I've settled on is that no matter how good the Leica zoom - and it is my workhorse eyepiece in all scopes - nothing beats the TVs. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, John said:

One thing that I've found with scopes that range from F/5.3 to F/7.5 is that gaps in the medium to longer focal length eyepiece range are quite Ok but I do like to "crowd" the focal lengths below 8mm to have a number of high power options.

For example I find the step from a 21mm Ethos to a 13mm Ethos quite natural. I did have a 17mm Ethos for a short while and it was a lovely eyepiece but I could see straightaway that it would not get a lot of use because I'd simply "step over" it and go straight to the 13mm most of the time.

It's only really by trying different combinations that you find this sort of thing out though and I can see that others with longer focal length scopes and maybe different viewing priorities might make different choices.

I've pondered this in my own novice manner as well...when down-shifting from "space travel" with a 41mm Panoptic, I've often not spent much time with a 26mm Nagler before shifting again to the 17mm Ethos. But then I've yet to try them all on all possible categories of targets (galaxies and nebulae other than in Orion have not worked for me at this location, yet, but soon I'll be stationed away from the buildings and LP, so I hope to see just what the TV85 can do in its natural habitat - mindful of the obvious "aperturial" limitations). And then - as you have also stated - there will always be the specific targets for which specific eyepieces seem to have been tailor-made...

In short, I love both the 17mm and the 13mm but could imagine doing without either (but not both!). At the moment, I certainly don't feel the need for a 10mm. I do very much need a 6mm Ethos...spoiled rotten now.

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest selection of glass in place. I think I am done for now (heard that before) as the Radian's filled a gap that has been troublesome for some time, 10mm & 4mm. the 14mm replaces a Vixen SLV 15 and although it wasn't a priority, the offer was just to good to pass over.

Now just need new foam to re-arrange as its a bit higgledy piggledy.

EDIT. just realised the X-Cel 9mm isn't in there yet but when I redo the case it will be added. :thumbsup:

!cid_C1B6E046-5811-40F0-8FE1-5888201823D9.jpg

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

EDIT. just realised the X-Cel 9mm isn't in there yet but when I redo the case it will be added. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but something else will have to give then. Not enough space in the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Lovely set :icon_biggrin:

Thanks - I've started using a barrel extender on the 8mm Ethos, and will probably get another for the 6mm. I notice you use them on these Ethos EPs as well, along with 2" caps. Do you keep the 1.25" caps on them when not in use? I can't get to the 1.25" cap in order to remove it with the barrel extender on (not extremely fat fingers, but there you have it), so that requires removing the extender, etc. Not using the 1.25" cap in favour of relying on the extender/2" cap combination to keep that end of the eyepiece protected in the case would seem adequate; the only thing I can think of is fine matter entering through the notch in the bottom of the EP's own 2" barrel and sloshing around inside the extender until it found its mark...

17 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Thanks - I've started using a barrel extender on the 8mm Ethos, and will probably get another for the 6mm. I notice you use them on these Ethos EPs as well, along with 2" caps. Do you keep the 1.25" caps on them when not in use? I can't get to the 1.25" cap in order to remove it with the barrel extender on (not extremely fat fingers, but there you have it), so that requires removing the extender, etc. Not using the 1.25" cap in favour of relying on the extender/2" cap combination to keep that end of the eyepiece protected in the case would seem adequate; the only thing I can think of is fine matter entering through the notch in the bottom of the EP's own 2" barrel and sloshing around inside the extender until it found its mark...

I've got a set of 2" caps (non-TV mostly) which I use on the 2" barrel extensions. I've not had a problem with stuff getting in through the little notch and onto the lower lenses. My eyepieces are kept in the case and capped unless they are in a scope though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

I've got a set of 2" caps (non-TV mostly) which I use on the 2" barrel extensions. I've not had a problem with stuff getting in through the little notch and onto the lower lenses. My eyepieces are kept in the case and capped unless they are in a scope though.

That's good enough for me :happy11:. Are the barrel extensions themselves by TeleVue, or another brand?