SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Similarly, with my initial modest collection of 1.25" greenies, I thought I knew what an eyepiece was, until the TV85 arrived with the 17mm Ethos and the 41mm Panoptic and I found myself sitting at the table - think group therapy session - asking them all: "All right, which of you is the actual scope?"

• Like 4

I have always found this

IMAG0850.jpg

an interesting comparison, concerning size, weight, and price. The 20mm Plössl cost just €15 (new!), and is really nice in the kids' mini-Dob. The Nagler 22T4 wouldn't fit.

Regarding green-on-black: I have quite a few lacking that colour scheme which, if they want them, they can take out of my cold, dead hands. If somebody forced me to work only with the complete Pentax XW and XF range, I think I could live with that.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

I've stated elsewhere that enjoyment itself is the ultimate "grab and go" concept - the fun starts immediately, and includes setting up whatever gear you're using, no matter how long that may take, and indeed irrespective of how much subsequent viewing actually gets done.

On a similar theme - I'm no angler, but I've heard it said there's a reason they call it "fishing" as opposed to "catching"...

It is nice to maximise the actual viewing time though lol. Organisation and logistics, for me especially, are the real factors to achieve the amount of time actually looking through the telescope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

For me, actual weight turned out to be quite a surprise. My first scope is the carbon fibre ED70, and I remember my novice worries about it being attached to a camera tripod by a single screw :happy11:. What did I know? Along comes the TV85, which seems to qualify as "grab and go" by quite a margin, and it is so much heavier...I now catch myself picking up the ED70's case and wondering weather the scope is actually in it.

Weight is certainly a factor, although size can be more problematical for me. With my bigger scopes, once they are set up I carry my two eyepiece cases out. They are only medium sized but I can carry them out together. One is an Orion case and the other is a modified Celestron Eyeopener Kit case. I also have a separate case for my bino viewer. I normally take that out  on its own if I decide on a bino session. There are also two extra bino pairs of EP's (32mm BCO, 20mm WO SWAN) in a modified Celestron AstroMaster Kit case, but that is only a small case.

Orion Case Baader revision.jpg

The Orion case contents are in a state of flux as their contents change. The empty spaces were once filled with TV 8 & 11mm Plossls, now a feature of my grab'n'go bag.

Eyeopener Now.jpg

The Celestron case, modified with the judicious use of a Swiss Army knife and some spare foam plugs hasn't changed a great deal since I added the Delos. I have a feeling the TV 3x Barlow may be being replaced with a 9mm DeLite one day lol.

binoboxesfx.jpg

I had to add a carrying strap to the Geoptik bino case, it's too small to have a strap connection, so I ordered the Geoptik carrying strap and loop it around the handle of the case. It works!

I think I'm logistically sorted ... for now.

• Like 3

Well got myself a flight case with foam today from maplins.   Not got many eyepieces (or many expensive) yet, but I'm happy with what I have for now.  Besides,  I only got my scope last Christmas.  I have to learn to walk before I can run.  I have the rest of my life to upgrade to bigger and better.

20160406_133840.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, g30rg313 said:

Well got myself a flight case with foam today from maplins.   Not got many eyepieces (or many expensive) yet, but I'm happy with what I have for now.  Besides,  I only got my scope last Christmas.  I have to learn to walk before I can run.  I have the rest of my life to upgrade to bigger and better.

20160406_133840.jpg

And now you're off and running. Enjoy the ride. ?

• Like 2

On 4/6/2016 at 13:40, g30rg313 said:

Not got many eyepieces (or many expensive) yet, but I'm happy with what I have for now. 

They don't need  to be expensive to work well,  they just need to work well for your eyes alone .

My favorite's, the BSTs,  work very well on my f/6 scope, and  I'm amazed with the performance of the  Revelation Astro's.  How can they work so well,  yet be  so cheap ( paid £9 for one of them!). I'm still trying to evaluate the Delos ( due to poor conditions ) but on the night its still an 8mm with a slightly wider view, I still see the same target through the Starguider! Do you need to pay THAT much more for the wider view/same image ?  That said, I'm lead to  believe there would be a marked difference between the image sharpness across the field  if used  on a faster non tracking telescope ( this was my intention, to get a faster, larger 10" or 12" scope, but the EP's came first )  but for now ( when I have a chance ) I'll  just see a wider field of view.

Edited by Charic

1 hour ago, Charic said:

..... That said, I'm lead to  believe there would be a marked difference between the image sharpness across the field  if used  on a faster non tracking telescope ( this was my intention, to get a faster, larger 10" or 12" scope, but the EP's came first )  but for now ( when I have a chance ) I'll  just see a wider field of view.

I don't know if there will be a difference that will matter to you Charic in all honesty.

The noticable differences, if there, will be in the outer 20% of the field of view, maybe further out than that. The majority of eyepieces work pretty well in the central part of the field of view, close to the central optical axis of the scope.

Your search for marked differences may well be in vain.

• Like 1

On 7 April 2016 at 05:07, Charic said:

Do you need to pay THAT much more for the wider view/same image ?  That said, I'm lead to  believe there would be a marked difference between the image sharpness across the field  if used  on a faster non tracking telescope...

For me it is as much about the eye relief with the Delos, as well as the feeling of being immersed in the view thanks to the large lenses that facilitate the eye relief. I love the Pentax XW for the same reason. I was a bit late to the Vixen LVW party but they are also considered to be in the same league and cheaper. 

• Like 2

Case #1

1ga.gif

Case #2

2ga.gif

It´s easy to appreciate that the colours I like most are Green and black. But I´d never part with my taka abbe orthos. They are absolutely amazing on planets with the binoview.

• Like 6

Lovely set.

The Tak Abbe Orthos have been interesting to me since their launch. All the reports I've read on them suggest that they are either the same (optically) or very very similar to the Fujiyama and Astro Hutech abbe orthos including their performance. Is that a reasonable conclusion ?

Edited by John

i've never tried either jujijama or astro hutech orthos, so I can' t help.

Some years ago, I owned kokusai orthos and certainly the taks are in another  league.

They outperform my zoom nagler 3-6 in contrast and light scatter. 

1 hour ago, At dusk said:

......They outperform my zoom nagler 3-6 in contrast and light scatter. 

Similar to the Fujiyama and Astro Hutech orthos then. Thanks.

Edited by John

Cheers John. Not sure I really need wider than my BST's, so not really looking  for the expanse, or the expense?
My reference is  more to do with the information I'm reading suggesting ( to me ) that optically, the Delos could be more noticeable as a 'better' optic due to the mechanical / design parameters, than say a Starguider in a scope faster than f/5. The intention was to get a 12"?And your quite right, the field edge is not something that over bothers me for now, so having a wider view to be honest is  possibly a waste ?

Brasspoodle, Hi, The Delos has the Dioptrix facility too, which was also a  consideration for my eyes, when/if used in conjunction with the  faster scope above. As for eye-relief, I have no issues with the Starguiders.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

In faster scopes you really notice the difference. My F/10 SCT is pretty forgiving, and the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg works brilliantly in it. The APM 80mm F/6 is a bit more demanding, but the MV 24 still does a good job, but in Olly's 20" F/4.1 dob the MV fell apart, mainly at the edges. The Nagler 22T4 works better in all scopes I tried. I never tried BSTs because the eye relief is too short for me.

I did read quite a few stories about field brightness can't really say I've noticed any they give nice views very sharp  and pretty much to the edge around 85% I even tried them on my now sold solar pst and the view was stunning I'm looking forward to first light with my new 130'APO I think they are now a great affordable upgrade from the Maxivision I've been using the only point is they are a bit on the heavy side that 31mm is a monster are there better yeah if your prepaired to pay  £100s more do you see £100 s more I don't think so my friend has a collection of nice Delos and naglers and in our skies my and his eyes sometimes not that far apart certainly not £100s apart . And build quality is excellent although on the heavy side 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

I like my 10mm Luminos and I used it for lunar/planetary viewing predominantly. It is beautifully made though and heavy, at least 300g. I thought it had a tendency to glare when using it on a brightly phased Moon though. I believe this was a problem that the 10mm, particularly, suffered from.

CelestronLuminos1box - jpeg.jpg

It is lovely and shiny though lol.

LuminosPlusBarlowElement.jpg

4 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I just got a small case for my TV eps.

Will be great for dark site trips.

20160414_211003.jpg

I'll sometimes open up the case just to have a look at them. Is that normal?

Andy.

And I thought I was the only person to do that lol.

Edited by Mak the Night

9 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I was going to say, no...

9 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

And I thought I was the only person to do that lol.

But I would have been wrong :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I just got a small case for my TV eps.

Will be great for dark site trips.

20160414_211003.jpg

Andy.

You will find there are a fair few of us who do that Andy. I even gently take them out and wish them goodnight before tucking them back into the bed (case) for the night.  Think thats getting into weird territory :icon_biggrin: hahaha

• Like 2