NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

:eek: O come on Stu.... I mean really.... ££££ in eyepieces and you pack it in off cuts of pluck. I think you need to take a look on at this thread mate http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221907-custom-eyepiece-case-review/ :D

I hang my head in shame Nick ;-)

In my defense, how do you expect me to afford custom cut foam when I've blown all my budget on eyepieces! :-)

• Like 2

In my defense, how do you expect me to afford custom cut foam when I've blown all my budget on eyepieces! :-)

The way that we change our minds we'd be spending more money on custom cut foam than EP's!  :grin:

• Like 2

The way that we change our minds we'd be spending more money on custom cut foam than EP's!  :grin:

If you don't remove the cut foam cubes but just separate them in the block sizes you need and press the eyepiece down into the blocks, when you want to change eyepieces the block can be pulled back into place and re-sized for the replacement eyepiece.

That way the foam stays in much better shape. 

Here are my two cases. The larger one has been subjected to lots of changes over the past 3 years and still seems to be in good shape. Worrying gap at the top right though - sort of Pentax XW 10mm shaped  :wink:

post-118-0-54476800-1407316251_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-27960500-1407316259_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Derek, thankfully (or not?) I'm a fair bit away from my next EP purchase, but the mind does tend to wander! I reckon I could put the high power next to the 9mm, then start a new row above where the filter case currently is. The stock SW 25mm/10mm will go once I have a low power to replace it, I've already replaced the 10mm with that HD60 so is just taking up space really, 

Derek, thankfully (or not?) I'm a fair bit away from my next EP purchase, but the mind does tend to wander! I reckon I could put the high power next to the 9mm, then start a new row above where the filter case currently is. The stock SW 25mm/10mm will go once I have a low power to replace it, I've already replaced the 10mm with that HD60 so is just taking up space really, 

I guess the most important factor in how they are arranged should be how easy and safely that can be picked up and put back under observing conditions, in the dark and possibly with gloved hands.

John, surely that's far too sensible and simply mundane for this thread ...

Feng shui, OCD, micrometer-accurate alignments, neuroses, hissy fits and the odd Gollum-like whisper of 'it's our preciousss, it isss' ... That's what's needed here.

Arranged is not the key word. However, deranged might be!

• Like 4

Derek, thankfully (or not?) I'm a fair bit away from my next EP purchase, but the mind does tend to wander!

I have made a vow never to buy another eyepiece ever again.

But if anyone has a TV 32mm Plossl or a Nagler 3-6mm Zoom for sale I might be willing to compromise my legendary self-control :rolleyes:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 2

I have made a vow never to buy another eyepiece ever again.

My wife says, if I ever buy another eyepiece, she is going to bang my head against the Keyboar9uydg$%()(jjoierufhpwuioeheuiywyyy%$$%^&**Ij,kljdfvoievjowerijfniorejfjwio77%$£$£EEDFGJI988weufiwehfpiowufiopjfpwioeu9eui^&ED%^&$RSD^&I^*(*9h98wer34uiniuh87^&%F^YUuy

• Like 10

My eyepieces out in the daylight  :smiley:

Ortho collection - My old fullerscopes 25/40 mm, 5/6/9 mm VT's and BGO 18 mm

post-30467-0-92709000-1407784076_thumb.p

TV's, these are all plossls 11/15/20/25/32/40/55 mm and the 20/25/32 mm are pair's + 6 mm delos. 

post-30467-0-93147100-1407784460_thumb.p

Also a Meade 56 mm, Swan 40 mm, SPL 6 mm and a pair of unidentified 20 mm plossls.

post-30467-0-86235300-1407784720_thumb.j

Very interesting collection  :smiley:

It's unusual to see a 40mm ortho.

How does the WO SWAN 40mm fare against the Meade 56mm plossl ?

The Meade is the better of the two, the swan is not sharp out to the field stop. It was originally bought for the f6 newt as a wide field/finder EP, it does cope a bit better in f10 scopes. After using for a while my brother made a new field stop for it and turned it into a 2" 50 dg unit. The coatings and general build quality are good for the money, light throughput is OK and I have not noticed any ghosting.    

Edited by Laurie61

I have a Fullerscopes 40mm ortho. It is very nice as a finder in my son's Mak and for afocal Luna photography.

Edit: I got that wrong. Mine is a Kellner. Still very nice though.

The fullerscope ortho's are super EP's and mine are used regularly  :smiley:

Lovely set. Is that 56mm a Meade 4000? How do the 2" Meade 4000 stand up to the slightly newer Meade offerings, anyone know? I might like to get my hands on one as they tend to be a lot more affordable and I love the 5000 UWA and HD-60 that I have already.

I would say around 40 dg afov, I have had it so long I can't remember the original spec's or even if fuller's quoted one.  :smiley:  

I always dreamt of something like that 44mm ortho back when I had my 60mm refractor as a kid. In fact I placed an order for one at a shop in Skipton in 1977 and they're going to give me a call when it comes in :D

• Like 2