Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Custom eyepiece case review

DannyMcO

Howdy all - 

Wound up going a bit whole hog on the eyepieces (see "The $400 eyepiece challenge" thread, which turned out too challenging even for me), and picked up ES 100 degree 5.5 and 14, as well as ES 82 degree 18 and 30. To round out the capabilities, I also picked up an ES 2x focal extender. All are 2". 

So then the issue became "How do I carry all this stuff around?" 

Looked through the interwebs quite a bit, and was unsatisfied with the idea of pluck foam - for what I spent on the eyepieces, I wanted something with a better fit than the 1/2" margin of error of perforated foam cubes. Options for my combination of eyepieces (plus the 2 1.25" plossls that came with my Skywatcher I kept for star parties, and some of my other stuff - collimation eyepiece, adapters, filters, flashlight) were non-existent. 

Enter MyCaseBuilder.com. 

I was able to create a completely customized case with cutouts for my specific eyepieces (and other gear), in a locking aluminum flight case, for about $100. Compares to pluck foam cases that typically run $60ish or so it was really not very much more - and was specific to my exact needs. 

While I chose an aluminum flight case, they have a number of other case options (including Pelican) with custom cutouts you can arrange any way you want using their online tool (which is not friendly for mobile but worked perfectly from my laptop). 

Some pics:

post-37876-0-44226500-1406821062_thumb.j

post-37876-0-55444000-1406821064_thumb.j

post-37876-0-81533600-1406821076_thumb.j

Service was great - I needed a shape added to the library for my 5.5, and they added it same day. I was able to update my design to incorporate it - even after the order had been placed - and it turned out perfectly. Processing time was about a week, actual cost was $114 including shipping. I corresponded on several occasions with them, and received prompt, thorough follow up each time. 

I chose the soft foam, which works perfectly. The case has rubber feet on both the wide and narrow bottom areas (wide when opening, narrow when standing like a suitcase) and looks sharp. 

One note - if you're going to add filter cases into your design, be sure to measure the case. I estimated a little small, but the filter I own fits perfectly inside of a small zipper baggie in the foam cutout. I bought the optional "whoops" insurance so I can send the case back to have the filter cutouts made a little larger, but it remains to be seen if I'll actually take them up on it. Pic attached, will put a few in responses as I can't figure out how to add more than one. 

Anyway, hope this helps you out if you're looking for a case. 

Cheers, 

Dan

Very neat and nice Dan  :smiley:

I use the pluck foam type because I change my eyepieces quite a lot, or at least used to. 

I like the way you have built in recesses for your fingers to grip around the eyepieces !  :smiley:

Very neat and nice Dan  :smiley:

I use the pluck foam type because I change my eyepieces quite a lot, or at least used to. 

I like the way you have built in recesses for your fingers to grip around the eyepieces !  :smiley:

For what I spent on the eyepieces, and their quality, I've decided that I'm going to stick with these for awhile.  Maybe some day I'll drop the coin on the Televues, but for now (and the foreseeable future), I can't imagine I don't have enough options for my Crayford.

As to the cutouts, they were actually part of the tool.  I opted out of them for a couple of items but for the most part they are actually quite useful, and were a breeze to add - the tool gives you the option of putting in your shape with or without them.  A single check box was the entire effort I put in to their inclusion.

I agree with John in that I have changed my eyepieces so often now I would have spent a small fortune on foam if it wasn't for me being able to stick foam back in. That said if money was no object and I had a full set of Ethos I would have no hesitation in going down a similar route as you Danny as it sure does look a very neat and professional finish and those finger cut outs are the icing on the cake :cool:

Good solution if not intending to replace eyepieces / filters for some time. The pluck foam in my case was ravaged and so I obtained the cube pluck foam panels you have mentioned. The foam sheets are then custom sandwiched together in layers. It works fine, but the top layer tends to become a little loose when taking out a snug fitted item, so I have glued the layers together with a aerosol carpet / fabric adhesive.

For televue ep's, there is a custom eyepiece soft bag available at retail, which is quite expensive, though there is a more affordable version available through ebay.

Archived