Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help to fix Altitude Adjustment T-bolt thread :(

RolandKol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RolandKol said:

I think, I heard it on LBC, that Dartford Toll bridge was build with the agrement, that no other bridges will be built for 20 or 30 years in East London... Don't remember excactly...

Don't talk to me about the Dartford Tunnel fiasco :angryfire:

Dave

I think I managed to find a suplier for the 3rd attempt.
http://www.theinsertcompany.com/steel_self_threading_inserts.php

they have M10 x 1.5, with even 16mm diameter :)

Just a note for my self, and maybe for someone who will need it.

And I would probably go for these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Threaded-Insert-Nuts-wood-timber-With-Load-Spreading-Flange-Zinc-Alloy-X-5/232931630737?hash=item363bce9e91:g:tvEAAOSwMgdX1bYd

As they would be replacable, however, cannot find M10 :(

On 18/09/2018 at 12:35, Davey-T said:

Yes, still need to fix the thread, it would be a simple matter for the folk that make that gizmo to knock up a threaded insert that fitted in the enlarged screw hole completely replacing the aluminium thread.

There must be a big demand for this.

Dave

Something like this, excuse the quick freehand sketch.

EQ6-Nut.thumb.png.e0e6bd9f2caa72d6a3e18dbc224880c5.png

Ah - that's what I was suggesting, threaded inside and out, your diagram is much clearer.

On 18/09/2018 at 14:15, RolandKol said:

I afraid of these... Zinc..
they are for wood, - have no idea if they are strong enough to handle the head, counter weights and the rig all together... Ofcourse, the bolt does not hold all of it, but strongly supports for sure...
As I have only one last try with M10, I will go for something from stainless steel.

otherwise, after the second fail, I will need to go for M12 and the wrench for adjustment :)

Maybe these will do the job. Put it in place with a tight fit (plus Loctite) from the inside. The flange will guarantee it will stay in place.

Quick update,

The inserts I bought (found even cheaper 5 for £4 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253838305966 ) looks like will do the job.
However, my hole is 12mm at the moment, - me and my friends/neighbours had no 13mm drill bit, so I will proceed with the surgery on Saturday. 

If surgery will fail for any reason, the hole will become 14mm, but I will have another attempt using these http://www.theinsertcompany.com/steel_self_threading_inserts.php .

3 hours ago, RolandKol said:

If surgery will fail for any reason, the hole will become 14mm, but I will have another attempt using these http://www.theinsertcompany.com/steel_self_threading_inserts.php .

Might be worth going straight to one of those AND fitting an internal locknut/washer to help spread the load. I'd also use some thread locker to make sure it doesn't move.

29 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Might be worth going straight to one of those AND fitting an internal locknut/washer to help spread the load. I'd also use some thread locker to make sure it doesn't move.

There will a prbolem with Locknuts... as the insert is not very long, only 18mm, the Mount wall fickness in that part is 15mm, plus I will need to remove wedge completely.

I will check how it fill fit in before moving to the inner part, - I am almost sure it will be OK even without thread locker, which probably will be useless with selfthreading insert.

7 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

There will a prbolem with Locknuts... as the insert is not very long, only 18mm, the Mount wall fickness in that part is 15mm, plus I will need to remove wedge completely.

I will check how it fill fit in before moving to the inner part, - I am almost sure it will be OK even without thread locker, which probably will be useless with selfthreading insert.

Ah, with 15m,m you should be fine without a locknut. By thread locker I mean something like Loctite.

The issue with the threaded insert is with the load pushing against it as you adjust it its likely to come undone unless you can cross drill it and put a grub screw or get some high strength thread lock on it, like loctite 648.

A rivnut would be better in this application but it depends what is on the other-side of the hole.

50 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ah, with 15m,m you should be fine without a locknut. By thread locker I mean something like Loctite.

yep, but how are you willing me to use the glue with the self threading insert? it will be pusshed out by the thricktion, plus I will need to use WD45 while threading the insert in. I simply do not see it working in these inserts.

49 minutes ago, John78 said:

The issue with the threaded insert is with the load pushing against it as you adjust it its likely to come undone unless you can cross drill it and put a grub screw or get some high strength thread lock on it.

A rivnut would be better in this application but it depends what is on the other-side of the hole.

Rivnuts look luring...  and my brain shouts, I should start from them.... they need the same 13mm hole as inserts do and in case if their metal is too soft, I would still have option to go with the same 13mm inserts after them....
I think I remember there I placed my heater (we have some chaos after moving into a new house) I hope to find it and I will try to remove these NEQ6 plastic caps and take the wedge off... My heart is not ready for that ;)

@John78

Any chance I will manage to buy them somethere directly rather than online?

4 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

yep, but how are you willing me to use the glue with the self threading insert? it will be pusshed out by the thricktion, plus I will need to use WD45 while threading the insert in. I simply do not see it working in these inserts.

Rivnuts look luring... I and my brain shouts, I should start from them.... they need the same 13mm hole as inserts and in case if their metal is too soft, I would still have option to go with the same 13mm inserts after them....
I think I remember there I placed my heater (we have some chaos after moving into a new house) I hope to find it and I will try to remove these NEQ6 plastic caps and take the wedge off... My heart is not ready for that ;)

@John78

Any chance I will manage to buy them somethere directly rather than online?

Well, you can get them in some pretty exotic stainless steels so I don't thing soft will be a problem, getting a tool to put it in might present an issue.  I think you want something like this one...

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-flat-rivet-nuts/69610-HRKN-M10-17-A2?uk_google_shopping=1&c=3&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=288981991378&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllEdX2dT8lRymYoZiORx_BM5vZBCOR5Ghmd6Va86d_7iObMNwpm4FL8aAiwrEALw_wcB

But I wouldn't know where to buy one offline!  Its not really a screwfix or bnq item!

Just now, John78 said:

Well, you can get them in some pretty exotic stainless steels so I don't thing soft will be a problem, getting a tool to put it in might present an issue.  I think you want something like this one...

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-flat-rivet-nuts/69610-HRKN-M10-17-A2?uk_google_shopping=1&c=3&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=288981991378&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllEdX2dT8lRymYoZiORx_BM5vZBCOR5Ghmd6Va86d_7iObMNwpm4FL8aAiwrEALw_wcB

But I wouldn't know where to buy one offline!  Its not really a screwfix or bnq item!

there is no way to use any tool rather than hammer.... there is no space in the inner side of the wedge

1 minute ago, RolandKol said:

there is no way to use any tool rather than hammer.... there is no space in the inner side of the wedge

The tool goes in the same way you insert the nut and pulls it up to increase the OD to retain it.

You'd need one hell of a tool to pull that rivnut I linked though.

I afraid if I will use revnut In it's ordinary manner, the mount will crack... I am not sure that kind of metal it is made of... but it does not look very hard.

plus the wall in that part is 15mm, Do you think  revnut will start expanding outise? I never tried to use it ... no idea

I think of simply tightly  pushing/hitting with hammer slightly the revnut in from the inner part of the wedge so falanges will stop nut from falling out

17 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

I afraid if I will use revnut In it's ordinary manner, the mount will crack... I am not sure that kind of metal it is made of... but it does not look very hard.

plus the wall in that part is 15mm, Do you think  revnut will start expanding outise? I never tried to use it ... no idea

I think of simply tightly  pushing/hitting with hammer slightly the revnut in from the inner part of the wedge so falanges will stop nut from falling out

and if I will tightly push it/hit it in, the bolt can start spining together with rivnut afterwhile...
I will stay with the insert "project" I think...
I afraid to crack the wedge with a rivnut...

8 hours ago, RolandKol said:

You screw it in to cut the thread, screw it out, clean up apply threadlocker, and screw it back in. Threadlocker takes ages to set, it's not the same as superglue.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You screw it in to cut the thread, screw it out, clean up apply threadlocker, and screw it back in. Threadlocker takes ages to set, it's not the same as superglue.

Hmmm... I will probably better fit it in, use it for a while and if I will notice it getting loser, - out, glue, in ;)

On 21/09/2018 at 15:45, RolandKol said:

Instead of pushing / hitting with hammer, just pull it in place from the outside with the adjustment bolt and a piece of wood with a drilled hole against the base.

3 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Think about modifying the latitude stop or investing in the Eq rail , I modified the stop and done away with the lever handle  so much easier now 

yep... it's probably worht a try...
yesterday it was really difficult to adjust altidute... Mount simply did not want to move one direction...

Archived