NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars - 28th August 2018

MarsG76

Hello again,

I started the night on Mars with capturing 10 x 2950 frame videos of Mars in colour and IR using the Skyris and the IS21au618 CCDs before moving onto observing. Since Mars is still very bright, I was able to capture at 80fps/60fps and collect the data within 15 minutes before spending the rest of the session at the eyepiece. And the views were breath taking this night.

Its quite obvious that Mars is moving away from us and that it's no longer a full phase but a bit of one edge is missing.

Clear Skies,

MG

Mars 28Aug2018-2318_label.jpg

Rises just after sunset, and sets just before dawn

Couple of weeks ago, was huge in southern sky

Did a presentation for a primary week before last, and zoomed in on it, for over 200+ students

Jupiter, and Saturn as well

8 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Did a presentation for a primary week before last, and zoomed in on it, for over 200+ students

I bet they loved it, especially the rings of Saturn....

12 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Jupiter would look good too, especially if the GRS is facing them...

I imagine that there weren't too many easily features visible on Mars since I find that for the best views I need an atmosphere with slower than 60km/h wind at 200hPa and less than 20km/h winds at 850hPa.. and a power of at least 290X... while it's overhead... during those nights the view was amazing...

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Jupiter would look good too, especially if the GRS is facing them...

I imagine that there weren't too many easily features visible on Mars since I find that for the best views I need an atmosphere with slower than 60km/h wind at 200hPa and less than 20km/h winds at 850hPa.. and a power of at least 290X... while it's overhead... during those nights the view was amazing...

MG

Was no wind

Very clear night with quarter moon

The school did a thing that night for science week

Had a running track set up, and boys in blue were clocking them with radar gun, over 50metres. Kids were averaging around 20kph, which surprised me

Laser skirmish as well

I live hinterland, and also sheltered from light pollution by hills behind blocking the light pollution from tourist strip

Jupiter was almost overhead, and when tried viewing through my ED80 on EQ5 mount, virtually laying in the ground to view through the ED80

Kids had great view of Saturn and Jupiter, through my 10" dob, which also was set up same night

Club hosting public viewing night Saturday 15th September, Broadwater opposite side to SeaWorld, and International Night of the Moon in October

Couple of other club members had their 90mm Meade set up as well

John

50 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

MG

Was no wind

Very clear night with quarter moon

The school did a thing that night for science week

Had a running track set up, and boys in blue were clocking them with radar gun, over 50metres. Kids were averaging around 20kph, which surprised me

Laser skirmish as well

I live hinterland, and also sheltered from light pollution by hills behind blocking the light pollution from tourist strip

Jupiter was almost overhead, and when tried viewing through my ED80 on EQ5 mount, virtually laying in the ground to view through the ED80

Kids had great view of Saturn and Jupiter, through my 10" dob, which also was set up same night

Club hosting public viewing night Saturday 15th September, Broadwater opposite side to SeaWorld, and International Night of the Moon in October

Couple of other club members had their 90mm Meade set up as well

John

What a great event.... 

I was thinking that you're in the UK... the phone doesnt show locations and only now realised that you're up in the gold coast....

12 hours ago, Charic said:

I like.

I doubt I'd ever get detail resembling that from my scope.

When I compare my images to a few others, my images look soft... but I do think that I'm tip toeing around the max detail that my 8" SCT can capture... and I'm comparing my pics to pics taken with 14" SCTs.

The reason I feel that I'm near the limit is because my detail level has not increased for a while... time for a bigger SCT or setup the 14" Dob with electric focus and start planetary imaging with it.

3 hours ago, orion25 said:

Great Mars! You can definitely see the phase as it moves away from us. I may take a few more shots over the next few months as a farewell. Gearing up for the 2020 opposition!

Regards, 

Reggie

2020 will be in a bit better position for you all up north and slightly worse for us downunder...

Another point to note about the view in the EP... Just above the polar cap (about 8 mars widths), about 30° toward the terminator, was a faintish star... I was hoping for it to be a Martian moon, but later on winjupos I found that Phobos and Deimos were at totally different positions... still a great view nonetheless.

Archived