Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bring On The Astro-Shed!

cloudsweeper

I've done a lot preparing the site and getting power ready.  Just want the actual shed now.  It will make observing easier, not to mention getting a lot of stuff out of the house.  Bring it on!

BTW - the bamboos serve well in blocking light from a neighbour's loft extension.

Doug.

P1060400.JPG

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Are you making your own shed Doug, or one that is already pre-built?

No Gus - they come and assemble it.  Then the fun starts - building shelves and furniture, putting on a security bar, sorting the electrics.  And maybe a small fridge for lager!

Doug.

19 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

No Gus - they come and assemble it.  Then the fun starts - building shelves and furniture, putting on a security bar, sorting the electrics.  And maybe a small fridge for lager!

Doug.

Like the fridge idea mate. Sounds like a plan! ;) 

38 minutes ago, Gina said:

Only trouble with bamboo is keeping it under control - it spreads like wildfire.

Yes Gina - we've had it for years, and it's a job to contain it and dig up the root-ball, but that particular growth has turned out to be most advantageous as it lets me look south and completely blocks the light from the nearby loft extension, so it's worth the work!

Doug.

..........so the "Mega Mega White thing" was a fridge? (born slippy, Lager, Lager )

I have a fire extinguisher bracket, its like an optic holder to keep the Solera Reserve where its needed, to warm the chest during the coldest part of my Winter!

9 hours ago, Charic said:

..........so the "Mega Mega White thing" was a fridge? (born slippy, Lager, Lager )

Well. I’ve leaned something new and it isn’t even 8am!

Good luck with the build. Mine is still with the local planning committee (swmbo) stage. Can’t start until autumn as I need to fell a moderate size tree.

Paul

22 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Good luck with the build. Mine is still with the local planning committee (swmbo) stage. Can’t start until autumn as I need to fell a moderate size tree.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  It's a lot of work, but I'm on the final phase.  Plants, shrubs, and a small tree had to be moved, and a giant phormium had to be sacrificed.  Then the living room floor came up, to connect power to the brick shed, and on to the astro-shed, requiring a trench through a flower bed and a path on the way.  Meanwhile, Mrs Sweeper is formulating her own project....

Doug.

5 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Well. I’ve leaned something new and it isn’t even 8am!

If its about my fridge quote, then maybe not!

There are many suggestions that  its about drugs?

Further investigation has given me an insight to a song about someone having drunk far too much, and is heading (trying) to head back home though the back streets of Soho in London. In doing so, he's seeing  and remembering  many things  which are  vividly  stored as  memory  'snapshots' and some of these  snapshots are referenced  in the song, Born Slippy.

'Born Slippy' was actually  the name of a  white racing Greyhound, it was a 'mega white thing!' according to the songwriter, and as an alcoholic back then, he'd lost his place during a live song set, repeating the word 'Lager' to very good effect.

Just like the long 'A'  note  in Car's by Gary Numan, not sure what to do next,  he held the 'A' note  longer than expected, a minor issue at the time maybe, but so  was good the effect. With most things already in place, that song took about 30 minutes from start to finish and went to No1, the rest is history.
As far as I know, Born slippy reached No2 in UK. but  nevertheless, a stomping good  dance song!

I digress! Right, I'm off to build something in the garden?

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

So not an Obsy?. Just a shed to store astro gear and power it from?. 

Couldn't stretch to an observatory, Paul, but I'm not sure about just a shed - it's an astro-shed, single purpose, so I can keep the laptop going (not on battery), store other resources with easy access, and pile everything in it after a session.  Now to build a high table/operating platform out of old Conti-board..........

Doug.

29 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Couldn't stretch to an observatory, Paul, but I'm not sure about just a shed - it's an astro-shed, single purpose, so I can keep the laptop going (not on battery), store other resources with easy access, and pile everything in it after a session.  Now to build a high table/operating platform out of old Conti-board..........

Doug.

I wasnt saying its a bad thing. I have a solid concrete boiler house/shed where i could store gear in and power my scopes from. I dont use it because to use and power my gear i just have to open the French doors in the kitchen and take my gear out onto the excessively large patio.

1 minute ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I wasnt saying its a bad thing. I have a shed where i could store gear in and power my scopes from. I dont use it because to use and power my gear i just have to open the French doors in the kitchen and take my gear out onto the excessively large patio.

I know Paul, I know.  Sounds like you have a very handy set-up there!

Doug.

Anything that makes it easier to get gear set up and running, is a really good thing.

!Long live the Astro Shed!

Paul

PS. Astro gear in the house seems to cause significant marital friction. A dedicated Astro shed seems like the perfect solution. You could even get FLO to deliver straight to the shed.....

9 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Anything that makes it easier to get gear set up and running, is a really good thing.

Paul

PS. Astro gear in the house seems to cause significant marital friction. A dedicated Astro shed seems like the perfect solution. You could even get FLO to deliver straight to the shed.....

All true, Paul!

Wonder if I can arrange for the Shed to have its very own post code?

Doug.

On 22/07/2018 at 21:15, Gina said:

Only trouble with bamboo is keeping it under control - it spreads like wildfire.

That's very true.. that's why ours is grown in a large pot. Would make a great screen though ?

Dave

13 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Paul

..and FLO could add a sticker to the package saying "May contain Cloud, er..Sweepers"??

Sorry.:help::hiding:

Dave

Archived