Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bring On The Astro-Shed!

cloudsweeper

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once planted some " Clump forming Bamboo " a few years later it took nearly a week to dig it out with a mattock and various power tools to make way for my wifes garden railway.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I once planted some " Clump forming Bamboo " a few years later it took nearly a week to dig it out with a mattock and various power tools to make way for my wifes garden railway.

Dave

Shades of ‘Bridge on the River Kwai” seem to spring to mind for some reason after reading this? Hmmmnnnn...... ;) 

10 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Shades of ‘Bridge on the River Kwai” seem to spring to mind for some reason after reading this? Hmmmnnnn...... ;) 

It felt like it, digging up bamboo in the blazing Sun.

Apologies to Doug for messing with his thread :)

Dave

Train2.thumb.png.bd5d1968ee7de53ed762f48d3323109d.png

Train1.thumb.png.cd23878fbc44d5792789c061b813bbe3.png

Actually, talking about bamboo might be an ideal solution to block a certain street lamp shining its baleful light in my front garden. May look into this further! 

Double apologies Doug for another post messing your thread up! 

59 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

It would be interesting to know who Mythbusters did the experiment on. 

I'd suggest using it on troublesome neighbours with inconvenient lighting ..... if such a suggestion weren't against the rules that is. ?

1 minute ago, Ouroboros said:

I'd suggest using it on troublesome neighbours with inconvenient lighting ..... if such a suggestion weren't against the rules that is. ?

My neighbours bamboo has tunnelled under the fence and path and come up through the concrete floor in the greenhouse :eek:

Dave

20 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I now know what to call my shed wot I use for my telescopical activities. An astro shed! 

Given that it will be used for observing and imaging faint fuzzy blobs, mine is going to be called "the blobservatory" :)

James

When I took over this garden there were several clumps of 'boo that needed digging out, had to get contractors in with mattocks to get the stuff out, followed by several round of digging out shoots, still not sure I've got it all.

Myself, I prefer ivy as an evergreen light screen.

Like the railway, Dave!  And no problem Dave and Gus about diverting the thread - I see it as natural evolution, and the bamboo theme is relevant anyway.  I must say, the bamboo in my pic is many, many years old, and has remained very much where it is.  Before getting into astro, we had thought of getting rid, but now it is a great boon as it shields my southern view from a loft extension light.

Back to the shed - it's due tomorrow.  Almost as exciting as getting a new 'scope or EP!

Doug.

Well, it's finally arrived!  All powered up, complete with re-used shelving, also home-made "furnishings" made from old bits of Conti-board, and containing tripods/mounts, and mainly - the Dob.  Maybe when I'm out there I'll be sent to the Dobhouse!

Doug.

P1060401.JPG

Groan! That joke takes the biscuit.

Lovely astro shed. I painted the inside of mine white. It made it feel less sheddy somehow. I also put down a strip of plastic carpet runner that some people put down in their halls to protect the carpet. Inevitably you walk a lot of muck in from the garden especially in winter. 

23 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Groan! That joke takes the biscuit.

Lovely astro shed. I painted the inside of mine white. It made it feel less sheddy somehow. I also put down a strip of plastic carpet runner that some people put down in their halls to protect the carpet. Inevitably you walk a lot of muck in from the garden especially in winter. 

Thanks!  The Dobhouse (formerly known as the astro-shed) has taught me a lot in two days - 

Wooden sheds are not waterproof as they come.  The corners need to be sealed, the boards at the sides of the roof need bitumen painting, the whole thing needs waterproof painting, and (with mine anyway) a gutter is needed to stop the back face getting absolutely soaked.

So - more effort and expense, but it'll be great when it's all done.  Next time, I'll have a brick shed built!

Doug.

Not waterproof is not acceptable is it?  I've not had that problem with mine. We bought ours from a good old fashioned local  shed manufacturer.  It was a good quality shed but was in a sale. Even so it was more expensive than similar sized sheds I saw on the Internet.  It has tongue and groove construction, which yours is too by the look of it, so yours should be waterproofs. If it isn't it's not fit for purpose IMO. 

Yes, it is T&G.  A combination of heavy rain and high winds drove a lot of water down the rear face especially - it was streaming down it, so I shouldn't really have been surprised that some penetrated.  Gutter now put in place, so that should help considerably.

A local manufacturer of top-end sheds recommends three coats of waterproof paint even on their classy products, and said that an untreated shed (apart from the anti-rot stuff they apply) should be expected to allow some rain penetration.  Luck of the draw, I expect!

Anyway, by the time I've finished with various measures, it'll be sound - I like a challenge!

Doug.

Archived