Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Dark Returns!!

RayD

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

Woo hoo, tomorrow night marks the return of astro darkness for me here in Kent.  Wasn't too bad a wait so hope you all get it back very soon.

Enjoy, its not until 26 July for me in Norfolk and then only for 15 minutes, but it rapidly increases duration to a couple of hours by the end of the month ?

Just now, Allinthehead said:

Good for you. Mine should return in about 3 weeks. Is there a way to find out exactly  when it returns?

If you look on Clear Outside, Richard, for your exact location, it will tell you there.  Just hover your mouse over the day/night bar and a pop up box shows the darkness levels and times.

Just now, geoflewis said:

Enjoy, its not until 26 July for me in Norfolk and then only for 15 minutes, but it rapidly increases duration to a couple of hours by the end of the month ?

Not far though, Geof.  I've never been so excited to see darkness approaching.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Not far though, Geof.  I've never been so excited to see darkness approaching.

Every year as the summer soltice approaches I say to my wife, 'not long now and the days start to get shorter again, soon be winter with long dark nights...!!' It drives her crazy....?

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

Every year as the summer soltice approaches I say to my wife, 'not long now and the days start to get shorter again, soon be winter with long dark nights...!!' It drives her crazy....?

Feels weird for me as I used to be a very keen golfer (played every day), so I it was always the complete opposite.

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

Feels weird for me as I used to be a very keen golfer (played every day), so I it was always the complete opposite.

Me too, but I played golf during the day and then astro at night - best of both worlds. Sadly I had to give up the golf due to a bad back, made worse by setting up and breaking down my old 10" Meade LX200 every time I used it. Now I have the C14 in the obs there's no more any heavy lifting, but my back has never forgiven me, so still no golf....

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Me too, but I played golf during the day and then astro at night - best of both worlds. Sadly I had to give up the golf due to a bad back, made worse by setting up and breaking down my old 10" Meade LX200 every time I used it. Now I have the C14 in the obs there's no more any heavy lifting, but my back has never forgiven me, so still no golf....

Exactly the same for me, Geof.  Fortunately, after a 3 year layoff I have literally just started playing again, so hoping to balance both hobbies.

APT have an app on android. Gives you the Deep Sky Darkness time and it takes into account moonlight. Examples below! I have to wait until the 27th and it's a full moon/eclipse that night. Out imaging tonight still! Can see the milky way so not too bad! ?

Screenshot_20180715-012436_APT DC.jpg

Screenshot_20180715-012511_APT DC.jpg

Screenshot_20180715-012521_APT DC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 14:42, Skipper Billy said:

Lucky you !!!

Last week in August up here !!

I think I am 2 days ahead of you.

na na na nah nah

gwan yar sel

PS love the Quattro. It is now near 'perfection'; aka usable by other people's standards, but I think it is wonderful. :) It has all that potentiaI I am determined to release, need more mount work now.

Archived