Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BAA or not?

mikeDnight

I joined the BAA for the umpteenth time 18 months ago, getting 18 months membership for the price of 12 months. How time flies!

I've just received a membership renewal request which will cost anothe £49 for the comming year. I love the handbook which I can buy for £10, but I'm just not convinced that being a member is of any real benefit to me. I enjoy some of the historical content in the journal's, but really there's very little else that's of appeal. Joining the observing sections feels like a one way street, with very little feedback - not that I'm looking for much feedback - but it does beg the question "Whats the point in being a member"?

So, should I throw another £49 at the BAA or jack it in and just enjoy myself?

Buying the handbook saves you £39 per year.

There is the option to purchase the journal for non-members, but you need to contact the BAA to find out the cost (never a good sign!), but there is also a journal archive. As a member, are you (have you been) able to download "old" articles (from before your membership started) for free? If so, I would be inclined not to renew, look into costs of journal (articles) for non-members and, depending on the answer, consider buying a membership every few years to get the journal articles that have come out since your last membership. If you did that once every three years, total cost for the 3 years would be £69 vs £147. This assumes you are getting nothing else from your membership that you consider to have a value.

Just my 2p ...

I have been a member for 4 years now and I enjoy being part of such a venerable institution. I do enjoy reading the journal even though some of the technical articles can be way beyond me, but I feel I have learned a lot from them. I have attended a couple of events  but have not managed to a regular meeting in London so far though I do I tend to do so some day.

In recent years there has been a genuine attempt to modernise the Association and this perhaps shows best in the new features on the web site which does allow distant members to engage more.

In the end it is a very personal choice on being a member. I will continue but I fully understand it may not be for everyone.

London based, so don’t really see the point of it unless you can attend the meetings, but each to their own I guess. I’d just save my money, but maybe that’s the half Yorkshire/half Scottish part of me coming out here! ;) 

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

You could always try the  society of popular astronomy.  £22 a year, a news letter every 2 months I think.

https://www.popastro.com/main_spa1/about-the-spa/

I joined the SPA in the early 2000s  or very late 1990s and loved it. I was even the Planetary Section director for two or three years in the mid to late 2000s. The members were generally a good bunch and there were some seriously good visual observers in the Planetary Section. A few years ago I let my membership laps and when I rejoined 18 months ago things were not the same. Gone were many of the observers that once graced the Planetary sections report pages with their excellent sketches, and in their place were often mediocre images that told nothing about the observers skill. Also gone, was my good friend Peter Grego, who in many ways carried the SPA on his shoulders for many years. Things weren't the same without Peter! As a consequence I decided not to renew membership of the SPA.

If there's no penalty for renewing later on, why not give it a few months and see if you miss it. This is my approach to anything like this. If you've reached the point of questioning the value of membership then the answer is most likely that you won't miss it. There's no shortage of things to fill time with or spend money on that you won't question the value of :)  

I rejoined after 40 yrs away as they created a database to save spectra. 

As with all organisations the more you put in the more you get out. 

This is certainly what I have found and I am generally not one who naturally joins groups.

Regards Andrew

If you are member of a local astronomical society, why not find out if they an affiliated member? 

https://www.britastro.org/links_affiliated

The society will get a single copy of the journal and all society members will get full (non-voting) membership rights of the BAA.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way for a society to take out affiliated membership online.

Do the BAA still hold their Out of London meets.?  We finally had them in Carlisle a number of years ago,
because the City is now a University one, a stipulation of the BAA out of Town condition, is that there has to be
Halls of Residence available, there was and they came, Patrick Moore, Astronomer Royal, Dr Alan Chapman, (Great Fellow),
and many other great people. I had a nice chat with Sir P. when he visited our Observatory to have a look around.
I remember the lectures being so interesting, and it was a superb experience.

11 minutes ago, barkis said:

Do the BAA still hold their Out of London meets.?

Yes, we have many meetings around the country. I have just come back from our week-end on Warwick. Our next meeting is in Christchurch, Dorset, Sept 7 to 9. In May we were in Newcastle and last Sept we were in Chester. We held a section meeting in Stirling in May. Our 2018 meetings are shown here. And next year we are going to Armagh, Northern Ireland.

Jeremy (BAA Vice Pres)

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

You could go all modern and go for the electronic membership at £29.50.

That's right, Alan ?BAA digital membership is £29.50 per year. You get the Journal and Handbook. All other membership benefits are the same, e.g. attending meetings etc. Although I recognise Mike probably likes his hard copy Handbook, which would be extra.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Digital sounds interesting. I prefer to have stuff on my PC rather than piles of magazines etc lying about.

How easy is it to reactivate my lapsed membership?

You just sign up on line Michael - I've joined recently for the first time ?

Helen

My astro Society, Bristol AS hosted the BAS "back to basics" workshop in March this year. I was unable to attend myself but I believe that it was a success :smiley:

Just now, John said:

My astro Society, Bristol AS hosted the BAS "back to basics" workshop in March this year. I was unable to attend myself but I believe that it was a success :smiley:

I missed it too, John. But yes it was a success. Thank you to Bristol AS for hosting ? 

We do rely on local AS's acting as hosts for various meetings. The Wessex Astronomical Society are our hosts for our Sept mtg in Christchurch, for example.

Out next Back to Basics Workshop is at Bexleyheath on Sat Oct 6. Our hosts will be Crayford Manor House Astronomical Society.

10 hours ago, Alan White said:

Well after the prod from this post and my own comments, I have just joined with electronic journals only.
Thank you Mike for starting the thread.
Also the BAA was mentioned at my Astro Club last night too.

Welcome to the BAA, Alan. Great to have you on board. I hope you enjoy being a member. Do say hello if you come to a meeting!

Archived