Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, I'm new here

Vurt

Hi Everyone, I'm Richard and am new here

I've just taken delivery of a skyliner 200p dobsonian yesterday.  I managed to spot Jupiter last night before the clouds rolled in, pretty breathtaking for my first viewing.  I live up in the darkness of the peak district.  I'm sure I'll have some questions for you experienced folk at some point but for now I'll get to grips with my equipment and see what I can see.

Hi, Richard, & welcome to SGL. 

An 8" dob is a great instrument and will give you some fantastic views. If you thought Jupiter was good, wait till you see Saturn!

Your dark skies will be the envy ofany here.

Just post any questions on the relevant board and you will find a wealth of experience and knowledge and a willingness to share it. 

Welcome Richard from land down under

Another trick for using your new dob

You did not mention if had solid or collapsible tube dob 

From FLO, or similar astronomy shops, you can purchase Baader film, and attached using sticky tape under the small hole in the lid of your dob

Place the lid back on your scope, and with the small cap remove, able to observe the sun

Ensure you do not have your spotting scope attached when doing solar viewing

Archived