Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Russian Binoculars

A few days ago, I walked into a charity shop and saw a pair of binoculars in a black hard leather case. I asked to examine them. I looked through them towards the street and they were powerful and the image was crystal clear. I couldn't read the writing on them except 12x40 made in USSR. I paid the £10.00. They felt heavy and weighed them on domestic scale the screen showed 2 lbs. After some google research I discovered they are ZOMS 6N61 12x40 SN:711862.

Being 12x40 they are powerful but very bright. They look new though they were made many years ago. Sturdy solid and nice to handle.

Any thoughts on this type. I always read that above 10x50 is not recommended for manual handling. This pair is 12x40 yet easy to use and the image is sharp?

• Like 7

I've had several Russian binoculars over the years including the 8x30, the 12x40 and the later "Tento" range, all have been of excellent quality and had a nice leather case with distinctive aroma. Good find for £10.    :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

A few years ago I also found a Russian binocular, a KOMZ 8 x 30 while looking for Astronomy books in a charity shop, the optics are very good. Price was the same, £10.oo but the case was British made. There is a certificate in English which is dated 1963, and the eyepieces are focused individually, are yours ? 

12 x is about the limit in power I would want for a terrestrial binocular, especially if you are likely to be venturing to a hot climate, as anything with stronger magnification would suffer from mirage as the temperature rises past the mid 20's C. 

So, congratulations on a nice find !  :thumbsup:

Edited by L8-Nite
spell check
  • Like 1

Great find and at x12 worth mounting in a light tripod to get the best from them, even though they can be handheld.

My Opticron 8.5x50s are great handheld but even better mounted - I've seen all 4 main Jupiter moons when mounted, but there would be no way I could hold them steady enough to see them cleanly by hand☺.

Dave

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ruskie glass tends to be excellent quality in my opinon, I was told that after WW2 when Russia took over east Germany, The Zeiss factory was in eastern Germany so thr Russian bino's suddenly became superb!! (Don't know for sure if this was the case but sounds feasable!!)..

I found some Komz /Tento which are super clear, As good as my Jena and the 8x30 look identical in size and build!!

These were knocked about but working superbly, They had the orange filters on the ocular lenses and seemed to have been attached for years!, I had to buy a cheapo set of broken Halina bins too as they were in the case that these should have been in!, Only cost a tenner for both bins and the case!!

1wPxpSD.jpg

These also came from a bootsale for £10

w967zlZ.jpg

These have some mould/fungus on the lenses but are still very bright and crisp, Need a clean on the outside though!! ☺️

K2tdny4.jpg

Hmm, I have some marked 'Tento' and made in USSR but can't seem to find pics of them! ?

John ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I know this post goes back a bit but I've only just found you and, as a real newbie, I could do with some advice please.

I too have a pair of Russian BNU 12 x 40 binoculars. They were a present from my Mum and Dad in 1977. They've been superb and I still use them as I can get a great image ... if I close one eye!

Indpendent Focus ring on the right eyepiece no longer moves and I have what I've just learned this afternoon is a collimation  issue (or so it seems). As Mum and Dad are no longer with us I'd really like to get them back to their former glory, your thoughts please for a real novice. 

Many thanks.

The basic collimation check for binoculars is to view a sharp edged straight line at a distance.  A roof line works well.  Focus as best you can with your eyes close to the eyepieces.  Relax your eyes as you slowly move them away from your face.  Bad collimation will show if the two sides of the roof line don’t line up.   You could try several times, allowing your eyes a while to relax.

The right hand diopter adjustment could simply be stuck, or possibly at one end of its travel ?

Unless the bins are top notch models, professional servicing will cost far more than the value of the binos.

Russian bins were regarded as being excellent value. I have the Russian 8x30s for birding, 7x50s for astronomy, both as pictured above.  I also have Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50s that give a “better” view in some respects, but I get a noticeably steadier view with the 7x50s.

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502

2 hours ago, CBH 0312 said:

Hi All, I know this post goes back a bit but I've only just found you and, as a real newbie, I could do with some advice please.

I too have a pair of Russian BNU 12 x 40 binoculars. They were a present from my Mum and Dad in 1977. They've been superb and I still use them as I can get a great image ... if I close one eye!

Indpendent Focus ring on the right eyepiece no longer moves and I have what I've just learned this afternoon is a collimation  issue (or so it seems). As Mum and Dad are no longer with us I'd really like to get them back to their former glory, your thoughts please for a real novice. 

Many thanks.

They do good work on restoring and servicing modern and historical binoculars....and are highly recommended....>

http://opticalrepairs.com/

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo

I have a few pairs of Soviet binoculars and not been disappointed, they're sharp across 80% of the field, no CA to speak of except on a full Moon and they have a satisfying weight to them. The only downside is the case smelling like the inside of a dead camel!

• Haha 2

I've had a 12x40 and 20x60  "Tento" binocular also quite a number of 10x50's as I used to dismantle them to make good quality finders. I currently have a 8x40 "Tento", all have been excellent. You're right about the distnctive aroma!    ?

Edited by Peter Drew

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2019 at 14:53, happy-kat said:

Hi. I'm not sure as I haven't looked lately but there may be a collimation guide on binocularsky.com. 

There is, but it's terse. Also I did do one for Sky at Night a while back: http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/feature/how-guide/how-collimate-binoculars-astronomy

Also, see Bill Cook's excellent new book: Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Binocular Collimation (review in the pipeline)

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a binocular but I dont know what model it is. In the side of the binocular it said MADE IN R.S which leads me to think its made in russia. There is also a soviet union logo on it. At the lens I can see a RUSSIA 52M the lens is blue and red. It is stored in a leather case. Anyone knows what it is and whats its value?

1 hour ago, Woolf1q said:

I have a binocular but I dont know what model it is. In the side of the binocular it said MADE IN R.S which leads me to think its made in russia. There is also a soviet union logo on it. At the lens I can see a RUSSIA 52M the lens is blue and red. It is stored in a leather case. Anyone knows what it is and whats its value?

Photos would help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have TENTO 12x40 in completely new condition from the late 80s, even the yellow filters have probably never been removed from the protective paper.

I'm no expert but I enjoyed the looks through them, actually they seem very good, bit unsteady this 12x, but maybe with practice...

And the scent of the leather case somehow reminds me of my childhood... ?

Also old school stuffs seems as if it'll last forever and has some nice charm, unlike these 'all the same' new, although new stuff is more advanced of course.

There is something special about buying good binos for 10€... ?

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say that recently in one trip I also met a Russian binocular KOMZ Baigish 50x50, but I think it was a china copy. There is no such a model on their official website, the declared increase is false, there is no license number and so on. However, It gives a quite good image quality: bright and realistic colors. It has a wide angle of view and allows observing a location with comfort. I made a review on my website, if you are interested in, you are welcome! (I probably can`t leave a link, but you'll find it in my profile)

boat.jpg

Baigish50_50.jpg

Baigish50_50_1.jpg

Edited by StarWarrior
  • Like 1