Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please advise guys. I'd like to officially have a star named after my mum. No need to ask why. How can I make it official?

pblackwell

Hello all, as per the title, I'd like to have a star officially named after my mum.

Is this possible? If so please let me know how. (I've seen websites that say they can do this but don't trust them)

Many thanks

Paul

The only organisation who can offically name stars is the International Astronomical Union, any company who claim they can name a star for you is just relieving you of your money and have no official bearing. The IAU catalogue stars and give them official reference numbers not names.

There are companies that name stars after people but as above they have no official status. I can imagine reasons why you would wish to do so and they may be based around remembrance. If this is the case you could just as easily choose for yourself a naked eye star, perhaps one that is curcumpolar for people in your family to refer to as mum's star. 

If you really want to use an online company to get the certificate etc then this is fine too of course but bear in mind it will be a rather dim and obscure star and difficult to show people.

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

There are companies that name stars after people but as above they have no official status. I can imagine reasons why you would wish to do so and they may be based around remembrance. If this is the case you could just as easily choose for yourself a naked eye star, perhaps one that is curcumpolar for people in your family to refer to as mum's star. 

If you really want to use an online company to get the certificate etc then this is fine too of course but bear in mind it will be a rather dim and obscure star and difficult to show people.

Many thanks

Paul

As mentioned if you want to have a star that you can actually see with the naked eye you're just better off choosing your own one and calling it whatever you wish, choose one that's circumpolar so it's around all year.

Someone " bought " my brother in law one and it was hard to find with a 10" scope, something like mag 14.

The powers that be had a naming update recently but no chance of any individual choosing a name.

There are a few stars with girlie names, you may strike lucky if you do a search, at least you'll be able to see anything with a name without a scope.

Dave

We get a number of requests to show people the stars that have bee bought by or for them. I don't know who decides what stars are chosen, there seems to be little regard (or knowledge) as to the brightness or position of them. It's almost as though stars of high plus magnitudes are expected to be the brightest.  :sad:

I agree, I personally think it is a money making racket.  Whilst the sentiment is nice, any star you buy will not be seen, and not officially recognised as your mum's star.  

this is perfectly correct:

The only organisation who can offically name stars is the International Astronomical Union, any company who claim they can name a star for you is just relieving you of your money and have no official bearing. The IAU catalogue stars and give them official reference numbers not names.

What gives any-one the right to sell stars for naming?  No-one owns them and the names do not get passed to any official records. 

Carole 

Why not select a lead star in your mum's 'zodiac' birthday constellation and have that as mum's star.  You could make some nice framed pictures of the constellation to remind family members of her.

How about using stellarium and set the date to show the night sky on the date of your mum's birth.  You could then select something prominent, as JOC suggested from her zodiac, or something that is prominent or meaningful.

Jim  

Jim

Thanks guys! Well it was just a nice thought I had....

Anyway, hopping for clear skies tonight (or at least semi) really want to try my new telescope on some planets! The weather has been driving me nuts! Arrrgh!!!!

Archived