SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BBC stargazing live IS going ahead, but in

Cjg

Australia!

"BBC Studios, the BBC’s incoming production and distribution business, has revealed that astronomy program Stargazing Live 2 will be the first commission from its Australian division."

http://realscreen.com/2018/02/16/bbc-studios-to-launch-australian-arm-with-stargazing-live/

Looks like last years programme was so popular, that it's going ahead...

Chris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't know what we pay our licence fee for sometimes?

We want Stargazing live from the UK shores , not down under ??

I suppose if you want a Stargazing live experience, then it's off to the SGL party in October ?

14 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

So that presenters can go to Australia for a free holiday. Actually its more than free because they get paid. 

I'll get a round in....oh I already have...

I enjoyed seeing the programme from Oz. It was an opportunity to see the skies from that part of the world....but agree that it was a shame that the Beeb chose not to run it this year.

Stargazers Lounge TV anyone? There's enough of us from all over the UK, that we could each present a short film from our locations? There's a section on the BBC by Marc Settle on using smart phones to record video, so made on a shoestring budget? @FLO might be able to record from the Norman Lockyear Obsy. I've keys to Seething and could produce something from there? 

Chris

Strewth Bruce! :D

Maybe the lovely UK weather has put them off. Let's be honest, stargazing in Blighty isn't an easy task? Cloud, rain, wind, light pollution.... :) If the BBC can influence the public on the effects of light pollution like they did with the plastics-in the-seas , wouldn't that be great?

Looking forward to seeing skies down under...

33 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

We want Stargazing live from the UK shores , not down under ??

I suppose if you want a Stargazing live experience, then it's off to the SGL party in October ?

Might be co-produced by Australian TV?

Seriously, how can you schedule a stargazing live programme in the UK with our weather at any time of year? 

I have been to Kielder Observatory twice and stargazing has been rained off both times, however the talks from Gary certainly made up for it so you don't strictly need clear skies, just good presenters.

I definitely agree with some of the sentiments above, not on my tax paying money.

As unlikely ever to go to the Southern Hemisphere, it will be an interesting programme. 

Suppose every nature programme stuck strictly to familiar boundaries?! Why should stargazing be confined to the north any more than others? 

What we want are just more astronomy related broadcasts. Period. 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Seriously, how can you schedule a stargazing live programme in the UK with our weather at any time of year? 

In that case maybe we should all just give up the hobby then?

They spend enough of our money with all this political TV rubbish all the time.

A few nights here and there Stargazing around the UK with a camera crew is not going to stretch the budget. One crew down south , one in the North, one west and one east. The clouds cannot get us all, can they  ?

I'll definitely be watching... stars are stars wherever they are and the southern skies are beautiful.  Seeing people actually do some stargazing from Aus certainly beats watching them stand in a soggy field under grey cloud! 

Always though the stars were bigger than just one country - don't get why a programme on astronomy has to be filmed  in the UK to be of interest. As for the different mythology of the constellations I really liked hearing about the Aboriginal stories of the constellations. One of the books I gave my daughter was on constellation mythology and the different stories from different cultures is fascinating.  To be honest, I think the BBC should be congratulated on this move, last year's event was a huge success; I'd like them to do one from the USA as well or one of the high desert areas in south America.  More please BBC. :)

Jim 

The problem was last time it was in Oz, was that there was only 15 mins of darkness during the 1 hours show, because of the time it was being shown here, to make it live, as it was just dawn there, so there was barely any stargazing done, it was all pre recorded videos they showed, with most of them nothing to do with stargazing, so its not as if you will see any stargazing, in fact there was far lees than in previous years when broadcast LIVE from the UK.....

So good luck if you watch and hope to see stargazing live....as you won’t....

I would be very interested in a program, or series on comparative celestial mythologies through history.

But an astronomy program should focus on the science, not the mythology.

My opinion YMMV.

Out of interest what do you want to see in a stargazing programme?

Through the eyepiece? Instant images using TV cameras? What is being used? People wowing at things you can't see as they can?

Stargazing whether individual or communal is a participative hobby. Eyes or imaging kit-on. 

Solar might be better & lunar. Always there. Perhaps Mars, Jupiter & Saturn. Double stars possibly. But anything more elaborate visually is a real challenge to put across to an audience live, as it's happening. 

10 hours ago, 25585 said:

Out of interest what do you want to see in a stargazing programme?

Through the eyepiece? Instant images using TV cameras? What is being used? People wowing at things you can't see as they can?

Stargazing whether individual or communal is a participative hobby. Eyes or imaging kit-on. 

Solar might be better & lunar. Always there. Perhaps Mars, Jupiter & Saturn. Double stars possibly. But anything more elaborate visually is a real challenge to put across to an audience live, as it's happening. 

I realise they can’t show live imaging, although it could be possible if the weather played ball, but all the topics they discuss should be about stargazing or at least space, and it should be done at night, and not mostly in the daytime like it was last year in OZ, also last year a lot of the pre recorded videos they showed, as that’s what the whole show was mostly, were nothing to do with stargazing, in fact one of the videos which lasted 15mins, a quarter of the show, was about how a bloke steered a huge cargo ship through a narrow channel with only inches to spare....well please explain how that helps us with stargazing..... :) I remember reading a comment about it last year on here..

Unfortunately, when the show's being broadcast here, down in Oz it's already morning so it can hardly be "live".

Though our rubbish weather does rather make the program problematical.

I’ll have a watch.

We need to remember that the programme is supposed to raise awareness of the cosmos and encourage people to get out under the stars and enjoy themselves. Pure science or pure mythology would ailienate half the viewers straight away. Standing in a soggy field telling everyone that it would be great if only the rain would stop......... Realistic, but not inspiring.

Australia; here we come! We could do the “under the stars” part with an Ausi production crew and presenters. It would probably be cheaper than filming it in the UK.

Paul

PS. I’d rather spend the licence fee on this; than spending many millions trying to make a Game of Thrones rival or the next lobotomising reality hit “Strictly Celebrity Boxing on Ice”.

Archived